musical Fidelity A3 CD player

LesT73

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I sold mine before moving house a few years ago. I absolutely loved that CD player! Just wondered how forum members think it would fair next to more up to date players such as the Audiolab 8200 which I bought recently?

LesT73

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha! Don't get me wrong, I really like the Audiolab. Just can't help wondering what if... I have B & W 683's bi-amped with a Cyrus 8 XP and X power. Chord Odyssey speaker cable. I LOVE the sound of it, but just wondered how much things had moved on in CD terms..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think things have moved on much.....the change is in the streaming solutions and 24 bit hd audio. In fact my Linn Karik/Numerik from the early 90s sounded better than the later models.

As I've said on here before, IMO a Linn Sneaky can match £2k CD players, and I've heard a Linn Majik DS sound better than a £14k Mark Levinson CD player!

My question still stands.....what do you think? :)

LesT73

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's been a long time since I've listened to the A3 so it's hard to make a direct comparison. What are Musical fidelity like nowadays? Still producing quality gear? Also, all the other parts of the system have changed aswell (I sold the whole system at the time). Although I did stick with Cyrus amplification for the new system as I liked the sound. I had a Cyrus 5 back then with TDL RTL 2's (which I also loved; I understand they are now defunct). But as I said earlier, I really like the sound of my system at the moment. No complaints here!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Musical Fidelity lost their way for a while, changing their range and philosophy every five minutes.

They have now got back on track with their new range: M3, M6 and AMS (Class A), which are well made, musical and value for money. Their Class A in particular sounds gorgeous...see website for info and reviews.

A

Anonymous

I have an A3 cd player and I think it's a lovely sounding player. I only paid £240 for it and I'd imagine it could easily compete with the more expensive players of today. I also think it looks stunning as mine has the gold trim as opposed to the silver trim of the later A3 cd players. I have no intention of changing to another player anytime soon. That said the latest MF kit looks gorgeous and is very well reviewed.

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have an A3, which is now being used as a transport feeding my naim dac.

The dac, is more detailed, and easier to listen to / musical, but it costs £2000.

When I auditioned the DAC, my opinion was, its good, but the A3 is a high standard already, and I took the DAC away, I didnt think, oh this is rubbish. I bought the DAC because I decided to treat myself.

As for the new MF gear, I loved the A5 series, it was just so enjoyable to listenable. Something What Hifi picked up on, in their review on the £1800 X series CD player. If the new stuff is similar, it should be good. I havent seen a bad review yet, of their new stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts