Music system for a turntable

AnnaGP

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi there,
Can you please help ?!?
I am trying to get a gift for my husband 40th birthday: turntable+ amplifier+ speakers... I have spent hours of researching, as I know nothing about this :(
So I am thinking to get :
Rega Plannar 1 turntable +
Denon PMA 600NE amplifier +
I don’t know what speakers :) I don’t have a lot of budget left... so thinking about Mission LX2, Dali Spektor 1 or 2, polka audio T15, Klipsch R41 or Monitor Bronze 2...
which speakers would you recommend ?
have I chosen a good amplifier?
I am greeting slowly crazyyy with this and I would really appreciate any help 😊😊🙏🏻🙏🏻
thank you so much
Anna

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I guess the obvious option would be a speaker, amp and TT package that has been built to work together:

if £999 is too much then Project have a cheaper option and you can get packages like this:

or pitching somewhere in the middle, dealers like Sevenoaks will do package deals of good quality kit like this which might get you a bit more bang for your buck:

Reactions: AnnaGP and sonic1

Gray

Yes, what a great wife you are Anna :love:
No wonder you're going crazy with the options, you've selected some good stuff though.
Can we assume your husband has no decent audio equipment at present?
Would understand if you wanted it to be a surprise gift, but it's all quite subjective, so choosing the best combination is a personal thing.
Maybe an option would be to go with him, armed with the knowledge you've gained, to make the choices based on listening.
If not, you won't go far wrong with your choices and / or the suggestions you get here.
As far as the amplifier is concerned, the Marantz PM6006 is another alternative to consider - as if you needed any more choice :).

AnnaGP

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
I guess the obvious option would be a speaker, amp and TT package that has been built to work together:

if £999 is too much then Project have a cheaper option and you can get packages like this:

or pitching somewhere in the middle, dealers like Sevenoaks will do package deals of good quality kit like this which might get you a bit more bang for your buck:

Thank you so much 😊

AnnaGP

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Yes, what a great wife you are Anna :love:
No wonder you're going crazy with the options, you've selected some good stuff though.
Can we assume your husband has no decent audio equipment at present?
Would understand if you wanted it to be a surprise gift, but it's all quite subjective, so choosing the best combination is a personal thing.
Maybe an option would be to go with him, armed with the knowledge you've gained, to make the choices based on listening.
If not, you won't go far wrong with your choices and / or the suggestions you get here.
As far as the amplifier is concerned, the Marantz PM6006 is another alternative to consider - as if you needed any more choice :).
Thank you 😊 I will try to go with home to the shop 😉
No we don’t have a descent sound system only this one

Gray

Thank you 😊 I will try to go with home to the shop 😉
Just a couple of important things for you to consider before you do.
You might want to think about the music source(s).
You've selected a decent turntable, but we didn't ask if your husband has actually got any vinyl (Some of us here were collecting vinyl before he was born, so just assume everyone has a collection).
If not, you might want to look at the price of records before starting from nothing. They are not cheap, retailers are exploiting the renewed popularity.
Streaming or CD might be better source choices for you both?

And speakers.....decide where you'd like to put them. Some (smaller) models are described as 'bookshelf' speakers - but only a minority are designed to sound their best when backed up close to a wall - if that's your only option, look for speakers with front ports.
(That's why you saw mention of speaker stands in another comment - so the speakers get some space around them).
Good luck and enjoy the music, both of you.

Reactions: AnnaGP

AnnaGP

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Just a couple of important things for you to consider before you do.
You might want to think about the music source(s).
You've selected a decent turntable, but we didn't ask if your husband has actually got any vinyl (Some of us here were collecting vinyl before he was born, so just assume everyone has a collection).
If not, you might want to look at the price of records before starting from nothing. They are not cheap, retailers are exploiting the renewed popularity.
Streaming or CD might be better source choices for you both?

And speakers.....decide where you'd like to put them. Some (smaller) models are described as 'bookshelf' speakers - but only a minority are designed to sound their best when backed up close to a wall - if that's your only option, look for speakers with front ports.
(That's why you saw mention of speaker stands in another comment - so the speakers get some space around them).
Good luck and enjoy the music, both of you.
I was thinking to get MusicCast WXAD10 from Yamaha later on ( Christmas gift maybe ? 😉) lien this we could stream a music...
would that work ?

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts