Music Streaming Confusion

Tautriadelta

May 11, 2021
Visit site
I am an old audiophile who still listens exclusively to CDs and vinyl but one day I will have to downsize, trim my music collection and reluctantly consider streaming! I have been researching the concept (streaming that is) and the more I read the more confused I am becoming.
I own a Marantz 8005 CD player and that has a USB input so I can connect my iphone through it. If I had a streaming service subscription presumably I could then play through the iphone to my Marantz 8005. Would the quality of the playback be limited by the iphone? If not, why would I consider buying say the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. It seems I would still need to use my iphone as link between the streaming provider and the CA Streamer, so just adding more complication to the setup. Of all the YouTube videos I've watched about streaming, I have not seen one that actually walks you through the setup.
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Gray

I am an old audiophile who still listens exclusively to CDs and vinyl
If that's the case then there's no need to sign up to any streaming provider.
If you do what Nads suggests and convert your CDs to FLAC files, you can do what several of us do and mainly (or exclusively) stream your own music - from local storage, using the DAC in your Marantz.
Don't let confusion put you off. Any question you've got can be answered here.

Tautriadelta

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your replies and advice.
Ripping my CDs to FLAC is certainly a consideration for the future but the more immediate issue is to make sure I don't continue building my physical music collection. Therefore streaming seemed a logical way of dealing with this.
What I am trying to understand is whether or not I am going to get better sound quality using a dedicated streamer rather than streaming directly from my phone to the DAC. Also I am unclear as to whether a streamer such as the Cambridge CXN V2 or Marantz NA6006 is completely stand alone (as regards managing the streaming process) or whether I still need to use the phone to do this (i.e. login, select tracks, playlists etc.)?

Tautriadelta

May 11, 2021
Visit site
I should perhaps have been clear that what I am proposing is to subscribe to a streaming service to obtain "new" music instead of buying more vinyl and CDs.

nads

Then I would buy a box that supports the service you want to pay for and plug it into the disc spinner and use the phone as the controller.

many out there from £50 to thousands.
pick your service and budget and then it could be easier for people to suggest a box. I would not use the phone as the box.

I personally would not pay for a service. I use free ones to find new music, then I buy it, add it to my archive and stream it via a box or put it on the phone for mobile use.

DCarmi

You have a couple of issues here. You don't know what streaming you want, if any and quite how much you will use it. Personally, and it is a personal thing, I prefer to keep components individual to their purpose. Unless you have good reason to change your amp I don't think you should, at least until you feel you have a need.

All the streaming services available have pros and cons. Hi-res services (Tidal, Deezer, Amazon and others) will give better quality sound. Spotify currently does not have a hi-res service but it is coming.

I use Spotify, mostly when I am out an about or for casual listening. This includes discovery of new music. I am not so fussed about audio quality because I will buy if I really like an album. For me streaming is as much a convenience as anything else. Most of the services have trial period you can try to see if you like.

Maybe start with the Acrylic S10 streamer, which costs about £55 and see how you get on.

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
You have a couple of issues here. You don't know what streaming you want, if any and quite how much you will use it. Personally, and it is a personal thing, I prefer to keep components individual to their purpose. Unless you have good reason to change your amp I don't think you should, at least until you feel you have a need.

All the streaming services available have pros and cons. Hi-res services (Tidal, Deezer, Amazon and others) will give better quality sound. Spotify currently does not have a hi-res service but it is coming.

I use Spotify, mostly when I am out an about or for casual listening. This includes discovery of new music. I am not so fussed about audio quality because I will buy if I really like an album. For me streaming is as much a convenience as anything else. Most of the services have trial period you can try to see if you like.

Maybe start with the Acrylic S10 streamer, which costs about £55 and see how you get on.
Small correction: Spotify hasn’t announced a High Resolution service but a “lossless” one. This is likely to be 16/44 (ie CD quality) rather than 24 bit hi res, but we’ll have to wait and see.
As you’re an iPhone user you may be interested that Apple Music is rumoured to be preparing a HiFi tier to its streaming service too, possibly launching sooner and cheaper than Spotify, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

What I am trying to understand is whether or not I am going to get better sound quality using a dedicated streamer rather than streaming directly from my phone to the DAC. Also I am unclear as to whether a streamer such as the Cambridge CXN V2 or Marantz NA6006 is completely stand alone (as regards managing the streaming process) or whether I still need to use the phone to do this (i.e. login, select tracks, playlists etc.)?
Streaming *from* your phone inevitably means using inferior Bluetooth or Airplay. And with that, a limited data rate, so high resolution is probably out of scope. A dedicated streaming device typically uses a smartphone app only as a remote control - and the streaming device itself streams from Wi-fi or Ethernet depending on the design.
One of the easiest to recommend is the Bluesound Node. They’ve launched a successor to the popular 2i model, literally yesterday. The new one is confusingly called NODE, rather than Series 3. The 2i might be sold off at a reduced price, though frankly even at £499 it’s a good buy. It copes will all the popular streaming services, all of which offer free trials.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flaskfars

Tautriadelta

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Thanks again for all the replies. I think my main two questions have been answered.

A dedicated streamer will be needed to ensure decent sound quality.
My phone or some other device will be needed to act as a remote control for the streamer.

There have been some interesting suggestions and I really appreciate the input.

Reactions: Niallivm

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Having just purchased the Node 2i. The biggest step up is the fact it has tidal/Spotify connect on it. I used to use airplay for listening to Spotify or tidal. Having a dedicated device as an end point is really a vast improvement in sq. Using a phone or Bluetooth is definitely a compromise.
J

Reactions: nopiano

nads

Thanks again for all the replies. I think my main two questions have been answered.

A dedicated streamer will be needed to ensure decent sound quality.
My phone or some other device will be needed to act as a remote control for the streamer.

There have been some interesting suggestions and I really appreciate the input.
Good we are getting to the answers that you did not know at the start As streaming can mean many things.

iMark

Streaming can indeed mean different things to different people and setups.. Here are some examples. There are people however who don't consider what we do as "streaming" because we don't use an expensive dedicated streamer.

At the moment we're listening to a BBC Radio station through Safari on my Mac. I have Airfoil installed on the Mac which can stream all around the house using AirPlay: my computer, the Yamaha R-N602 in the living room, a HomePod Mini in the kitchen, an Airport Express connected to a mini hifi set upstairs. I could even use iPhones, iPads and other Macs as AirPlay receivers. Basically I can stream the sound of any app on my Mac around the house.

Another type of streaming we use is Spotify Connect on the Yamaha R-N602. I can use my iPhone or my Mac as a remote control. Or my partner can use her iPhone or iPad to control her Spotify account on the Yamaha.

I have an older Mac with an iTunes library. I can stream all the ripped CDs and (legally!) downloaded audio to all AirPlay receivers around the house. An iPhone or iPad can be used as a remote control for the iTunes library on the Mac.

I have been using AirPlay to stream music around the house for nearly 15 years and with decent WiFi around the house it simply works without any glitches. It's CD quality and bit perfect.

My streaming experience started with an Airport Express connected to the main stereo. Very nifty gadgets to be able to stream at CD quality to a an amp without streaming capabilities. Apple stopped making them but you can still get them second hand. The Yamaha R-N602 is now the heart of system. It's got digital and optical inputs, a DAC, a phono stage and AirPlay streaming. Very convenient for what we do. Obviously it's all limited to CD quality so not good enough for ambitious hi-res streamers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niallivm

Tinman1952

I am an old audiophile who still listens exclusively to CDs and vinyl but one day I will have to downsize, trim my music collection and reluctantly consider streaming! I have been researching the concept (streaming that is) and the more I read the more confused I am becoming.
I own a Marantz 8005 CD player and that has a USB input so I can connect my iphone through it. If I had a streaming service subscription presumably I could then play through the iphone to my Marantz 8005. Would the quality of the playback be limited by the iphone? If not, why would I consider buying say the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. It seems I would still need to use my iphone as link between the streaming provider and the CA Streamer, so just adding more complication to the setup. Of all the YouTube videos I've watched about streaming, I have not seen one that actually walks you through the setup.
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Hi. No one seems to have answered your original post accurately. Yes you can plug your iPhone into your Marantz 8005 USB input (using the Apple camera adapter) and that will be just as good as any streamer because you bypass the phone’s DAC and just send the digital data to the internal DAC of the Marantz.
This is the cheapest way for you to ‘test the water’ with whatever streaming service you choose as they all have IOS apps you can use.
Also this will allow streaming of hi res files!
I would try this before spending on a separate streamer…..
Currently the cheapest service is Amazon Music (even less if you are a Prime subscriber) and they offer a 3 month free trial I believe.
Good Luck!

Tautriadelta

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for confirming my suspicion. The only thing I am still uncertain about is the need for the Apple camera adapter. The lightning/USB cable used for charging, plugs directly into the Marantz so what does adding the adapter between the phone and the charging cable bring to the party?
BTW thanks also for the tip about Amazon Music.

Tinman1952

Thank you for confirming my suspicion. The only thing I am still uncertain about is the need for the Apple camera adapter. The lightning/USB cable used for charging, plugs directly into the Marantz so what does adding the adapter between the phone and the charging cable bring to the party?
BTW thanks also for the tip about Amazon Music.
Well my understanding is you need the CCK camera adapter to transfer unalterated data from the phone. Otherwise why would you need it for data transfer to a camera? It allows you to avoid the internal DAC in the phone and any resampling by IOS. Try it and see…..🙂
I use exactly this to play Amazon Music from an iPad to my SMSL M400 DAC….sounds excellent.

Jab49

May 7, 2021
Visit site
First thing I would suggest is to use EAC and archive all your CDs as FLAC files. Then when you downsize you can put them into storage but still access them to steam on your home network.

I know not the question asked but it will allow more future options.
I know not the purpose of this thread, but why not just use Windows Media Player to rip a CD as FLAC?

Tinman1952

I know not the purpose of this thread, but why not just use Windows Media Player to rip a CD as FLAC?
Then I suggest you re-read the original post ….🙄
He wants to avoid future physical media and is asking about streaming services and how he can implement it with his current equipment.
People tend to use EAC or dBPowerAmp as they can give a more accurate rip by re-reading sectors on a CD where read errors occur and also comparing to the AccurateRip online database.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jab49

Jab49

May 7, 2021
Visit site
Then I suggest you re-read the original post ….🙄
He wants to avoid future physical media and is asking about streaming services and how he can implement it with his current equipment.
People tend to use EAC or dBPowerAmp as they can give a more accurate rip by re-reading sectors on a CD where read errors occur and also comparing to the AccurateRip online database.
Fair comment, I'll take more care next time. And thanks for reasoning behind the response - I did try for a while to find that type of answer in the "ripping" threads but without success, so you've saved me more time.

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS