Music from my PC or an NAS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a lot of CD (almost all classical music) and want to get them all on HDD to be able to play them through the HiFi rather than have to keep changing CDs. Being able to play Internet Radio would be a boon - Radio 3 through the TV is awful and so is the radio reception (analog and digital) where I live.

Having done lots of reading it strikes me a Squeezebox Duet will be just the ticket. Price is fine, I can switch to an NAS in the future, and if I ever dislike the quality I could plus the digital output into a DAC rather than using the analog ones.

Of course I have some questions otherwise I'd just be ordering an SB!

Have I missed obvious contenders? Is the Duet better than, worse than or just different to the Duet? Is there a better way that doesn't involve loads more outlay?

BTW I plan connecting the SB via a HomePlugs device - I gave up with wireless some time back when it was forever being a PITA.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
NB Radio 3 isn't available on conventional internet radio, as the format the BBC uses isn't compatible with internet radio receivers. You have use iPlayer on a computer, or an add-on to access it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both for the info on Internet Radio.

And some peering at the Wiki suggests the Touch is a more flexible device for the same sort of cost as a Duet, except that I suspect reading the handset (in my hand) for the Duet will be easier than reading the Touch at a distance. So how did other people choose between the Touch and the Duet?

A

Anonymous

Recently bought two 200Mbs MSI ePower homeplugs, recommended. Big improvement over the earlier 85Mbs Sweex I had.

A

Anonymous

If you've got an iphone just buy a reciever for £80 like I did. You do have to do a bit of command line geekery but it really isnt that bad - I'm no IT nerd but I managed it:

http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP/trac

I've just got my PC running as a server at the moment but down the line a NAS would be great, Oh and the sound quality of FLACs through the squeezebox is terrific!

Any questions feel free to ask...

Frankieboy

A

Anonymous

Sorry, forgot to say you'd need the Ipeng app for £6 for iPhone.

A

Anonymous

I don't have an IPod or IPhone, or any intention of getting either, so although that might be a good route if I did, I don't! I'm also not sure what quality sound that route can provide.

My router provides a Homeplugs feed and since it's an 85 whatever, I don't think the faster plugs would work with it. If I was buying now I might go for the faster option - at the time it cost a lot more and I don't have any interest in streaming videos / films which is what it was being sold for.

A

Anonymous

Frankieboy: <snip>I've just got my PC running as a server at the moment but down the line a NAS would be great, Oh and the sound quality of FLACs through the squeezebox is terrific!

Good to know the sound is up to scratch. What sort of music are you playing?

WRT an NAS, I also have a lot of photos I would be copying onto it though that would be as a backup rather than to get them off my PC. At present I have copies on an external USB HDD, but I have a lot more 35mm stuff to scan and a 4,000dpi scan saved as a 160bit TIFF takes quite a bit of space!

A

Anonymous

Is there some confusion here? You only use the iphone as a remote control. Go for the duet then but I can't help thinking it's a hell of a lot of money for a second rate remote control. The Ipeng remote app on the iPhone, on the other hand, is great.

I converted my CD collection into FLAC lossless.The sound quality is in theory no different from listening to a CD player's coaxial output. (That will open the flood gates...!) I have my squeezebox hooked up to my Denon receiver via coaxial. I have an expensive pair of B&W nautilus style speakers and believe me it sounds good!

I listen to all sorts of music from the Brandenburg concertos to 90s drum and bass!

P.S. I use some very cheap Solwise 200mbps plugs that are terrific - only cost about £60/pair:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-av-push.htm

Don't pay more.

Frankieboy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts