Music For HiFi

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]What was the last album (or single) you bought JUST because you wanted to hear it workout your hifi?[/quote]

Odd question. Do you buy music to work out your HIFI? I buy music to listen to it rather than the electronics. Incidentally, my last album was Rodrigo y Gabriela

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="raypalmer"]What was the last album (or single) you bought JUST because you wanted to hear it workout your hifi?[/quote]

Odd question. Do you buy music to work out your HIFI? I buy music to listen to it rather than the electronics. Incidentally, my last album was Rodrigo y Gabriela
[/quote]
I do too. It's just every now and then I buy something I wouldn't normally, like say... Hubert Laws. There's just something about good hifi that yearns for the odd romp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]last album was Rodrigo y Gabriela[/quote]

... actually it was'nt. Last cd was from a local gig by a band called Secret Agency. Great Stones tribute group but now with their own material. Absolutely dire recording and would sound abysmal on any HIFI but great music so you'll soon forget.

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Not sure about an album just for testing my hifi......it's more a case of something that I have 'aquired' in MP3 format, or something bought from itunes, that i know will sound fantastic in full cd form for me.

The last album of this kind was The Dreamer by Jos‚ James. A fantastic album, beautifully recorded.....it's my album of the year so far.....just waiting now for the new Cinematic Orchestra live album.

Here's a link to the Jos‚ James album...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250232277543&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=015

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
If you do fancy a fix of hifi, get hold of the Naim sampler CD (I think it's called True Stereo) from their record label website. I think it's only a fiver or so.

All the tracks are recorded using two mics straight onto a studio 2-track without any processing, so you get as true as possible to the original performance.

I bought it to see what my system could do, and actually keep coming back to it as I really like the music rather than just the "sound". It's even in my car now...

A

Anonymous

Muse - HAARP (live CD/DVD)
Chopin - Piano Etudes, Vladimir Ashkenazy
emotion-1.gif

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I listened to Holst - The Planets last night which sounded great, and was a big contrast to Metallica: Live *** which i listened to in the afternoon!

That Metallica live album by the way sounds incredible. A big contrast to Foo Fighters: Skin and Bones which is an extremely well produced live album (which sounds like they are in the studio). Metallica sounds as if you are in the croud, very raw.

Wonder how my new beresford and stands they i hope to by next week will affect the sound, cant wait.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't buy music just for hi-fi, not sure who would, but I have noticed my Cyrus system does sound particularly good with certain CDs. I guess this has had an impact on what music I buy now, but only slightly.

I have got a drum & bass CD which has a few tracks made purely of bass tones, they will 'work out' your hifi. The sub-30Hz track is barely audible, it's an excellent 'work-out' for my Trace Elliot bass amp which in turn is a good work out for my neighbours bowel system.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought an old Dave Stewart record 'Lily Was Here' because I heard it at a local dealers some time ago and it sounded impressive through my TT and their Arcam gear. I thought I ordered the soundtrack LP but it was only the single, so I ordered the album from an Italian netsounds seller and now wish I hadn't bothered.

A

Anonymous

Never bought a cd to test hifi but in the same way fatboyslimfast recommended buying the naim cd, I was about to recommend people buy 'Air - Pocket Symphony'. It sounds so good its got to be heard to be believed, the sound that is produced is what I'd previously thought a £5k plus system would sound like, my system is capable of it but it never gets the chance...makes me wish all my cds were engineered so well, I'd literally be willing to pay £30 a cd from now on if everything I wanted would be just as good. Its a great cd music wise too, but even if its not your usual genre of music I still think you'll feel it was a justified buy when you hear how stunning it sounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts