MP3 interconnects in a budget system

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have just bought a budget system:

Cambridge Audio IP10 Ipod Dock, Cambridge Audio Azur 340ASE amplifier, Cambridge Audio S30 speakers, Soundstyle Z2 speaker stands and Chord Carnival speaker cable.

As you might have spotted, it was courtesy of those helpful guys at RicherSounds, and I cannot fault their service - thanks guys.

The system actually sounds pretty tight. I am in a top floor flat, and the S30s are perfect - the bass is there, well under control and you get the bump without the thump, if that makes sense. Neighbours claim they dont hear it and I can enjoy it without feeling guilty.

I have an old Arcam Alpha Plus CD player at home, and reckon that will top the system off nicely, although I have no idea what interconnect I should choose - any recommendations for a phone to phone lead?.

The one element that I have not changed yet is the interconnect that came with the IP10 Ipod dock (£10 bought me a little remote and an interconnect). The interconnect is a pretty shabby little lead, and I am sure that I can do better. I would welcome advice on what I should go for. I get the impression that the IP10 is a pretty basic dock, and so pairing it with a £50 lead is probably a waste of money. Richer Sounds do a variety of Cambridge Audio leads, but I cannot find reviews for them and so cannot judge them. It needs to be 3.5mm to twin phone - which does limit my options. I have noted that Superfi have the QED Performance J2P at £10, and that looks my best bet. Anybody help?

idc

I would do what you have started to do with the QED cable and shop around for bargains. So long as a cable is well made it will work, the same as one that is 10x its price. Have a look in ebay for second hand and also google pro audio. The pro audio side of the industry needs well made cables, but they will not pay the prices that audiophiles will.

Bear in mind that Belden, a company more associated with computer leads, make the cables that go into a number of audiophile products. So on Amazon you can look at Belden, Lindy, Amazon's own brand stuff as well.

Lastly, the Richer Sounds Cambridge line of cables. A while back I helped a mate tidy up his hifi and give a good dust. He had a Cambridge interconnect from the late 1980s and it still looked brand new one it had been wiped. That is a well made cable.

EDIT - shop for Belden elsewhere than Amazon, I just checked their prices and that's not right, £50 for some wire
emotion-7.gif

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have a theory that you need to pay a certain price to get a quality product, but after that then the law of diminishing returns applies and eeking out the last 1% of performance is only justified for the elitist few. I think I'll try the QED cable and take it from there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts