moving on from your reference CDs

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Most of us have reference DCs, you know the ones, the ones that you impress your friends with when showing of your system or the one you always carry to demos.
Question is are these CDs absolute, fact they sounded great on your set they should sound great on any system or the system is not up to the task be it a violin, guitar, piano or some vocals or haromies.

I'm currently assessing my 'new' amp and the first reference CD - D'Angelo/Brown Sugar - track 7 a cover of Smokey Robinsons 'Crusin' is not firing as it did on my 'old' amp BUT Dwele's - Some kinda track 3 and 15 sounds superb on the 'new' amp although it did sound good on the old.....

What was I saying....oh yes, are these reference CDs absolute,or do you move on?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
No I don't!

When I had a demo last week I still took the following

Massive attack - mezzanine

Morcheeba - Big calm

Adele 19

Fleetwood mac -rumours

I took all these 11 years ago when I demoed some hifi apart from Adele obviously

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
No I don't!

When I had a demo last week I still took the following

Massive attack - mezzanine

Morcheeba - Big calm

Adele 19

Fleetwood mac -rumours

I took all these 11 years ago when I demoed some hifi apart from Adele obviously

I presume you took Adele 8 instead? :shifty:

matthewpiano

I have a very small number of CDs that I use as a reference. They are always the first discs I try but then I move on quite quickly through a good range of my collection, trying to get a feel for how far a change can take me.

Sometimes the reference discs can lull you into a false sense that you are making a big improvement and it is only when you go a bit further into the collection that you start to realise you might be making a sideways or even retrograde move. It is a complicated business this hi-fi lark.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
It's more about your expectations of the new amp...

Would that be 'expectation biass'?

Not really. Sometimes you lay too heavily on favoured or reference cds and lose track of the amps qualities. I often take a single or album that hasn't been played for a time and then compare. No conclusive answer, just acts as an alternative...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
It's more about your expectations of the new amp...

Would that be 'expectation biass'?

Not really. Sometimes you lay too heavily on favoured or reference cds and lose track of the amps qualities. I often take a single or album that hasn't been played for a time and then compare. No conclusive answer, just acts as an alternative...
All that biassing, seems to be by-passing! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts