Most influential artist?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Robert Johnson....
Think the film Crossroads, starring Ralph Macchio, was based in a lost song by Robert Johnson.

Johnson influenced modern Blues.

But I believe Lennon & McCartney are the most mentioned by other musicians, incl. The Jam, Oasis, Squeeze... and countless other artists who's parents listened or who grew up listening to Lennon & Macca, whether it's The Beatles or their solo stuff

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
that´s my opinion and about squeeze, i found it funny because i never liked one Lp but around 81 i listened to song that it was "is that love?" and i didn´t hear it that much ,so a few years ago i recorded this song into a compilation i was making in minidisc to listen in the car and i recorded that music but i still listen to it like a recent song because i never bought an LP, and when i saw a greatest hits Lp i didn´t found the music there but recentelly or around 2007 i heard this song several times but i didn´t like anyother song, like the moody blues i like 3 songs ,and when i say i like them is like a found this songs perfect but i never liked one LP from the band and nights in white satin isn´t one of them. But i totally agree with you kids listened to their parents records and then they become also fans of those bands, one of the bands i leaned to hear friom my father records was Aphrodite´s child ,only one red double Lp as one song that i never get tired of hearing it ,but also not that much ,what i´ve found funny is seeing they when spilt up , become two famous artists , Demis Roussus and The Vangelis,wich i only bought friends of mr.cairo with Yes vocals on it nothing else but the double red LP is really good ,this in my opinion and others were the Beegees that my father also had a red double Lp called odessa that i once heard at his house and not enjoying every song, there were two or three songs that i liked and parts of others and one song was famous because when a movie came out , a english one with kids a song from that Lp was the one of the O.S.T ,it´s melody fair. The ones i really like can´t remenber the name, sudenly was one of them(i just remenbered now)but in the record sounds very good to me and when i listened to the cd it seemed they re-recorded the instruments ,the original is in mono and sounds like a regular band playing a song ,not to much studio efects,those were my fathers records that made me like this songs from bands i didn´t like, when saturday night fever was released it was a international hit, because of the disco movie, i have two doble lp´s at home, don´t remenber how they got there but no one acused them selves of being the owners and i kept them, regards

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
The Beatles introduced song writing.
Hendrix changed the sound of the guitar forever for millions.
the beatles also were amazed when after just a few days of sargent peppers lonley hearts club band being released, this in a thursday ,saturday jimmi hendrix gives a concert and was dressed kind of similar to the Beatles wear in the cover of the Lp and played the song that gives name to the Lp with a special touch of his guitar, This made the Beatles at the time ,thinking that after only two days of being released jimmi hendrix was already playing it live ,they said in a interview that they followed his career that started in England ,there´s all story about this being told in some documentary that i saw maybe in early 2000´s,regards

Reactions: jjbomber
that´s my opinion and about squeeze, i found it funny because i never liked one Lp but around 81 i listened to song that it was "is that love?" and i didn´t hear it that much ,so a few years ago i recorded this song into a compilation i was making in minidisc to listen in the car and i recorded that music but i still listen to it like a recent song because i never bought an LP, and when i saw a greatest hits Lp i didn´t found the music there but recentelly or around 2007 i heard this song several times but i didn´t like anyother song, like the moody blues i like 3 songs ,and when i say i like them is like a found this songs perfect but i never liked one LP from the band and nights in white satin isn´t one of them. But i totally agree with you kids listened to their parents records and then they become also fans of those bands, one of the bands i leaned to hear friom my father records was Aphrodite´s child ,only one red double Lp as one song that i never get tired of hearing it ,but also not that much ,what i´ve found funny is seeing they when spilt up , become two famous artists , Demis Roussus and The Vangelis,wich i only bought friends of mr.cairo with Yes vocals on it nothing else but the double red LP is really good ,this in my opinion and others were the Beegees that my father also had a red double Lp called odessa that i once heard at his house and not enjoying every song, there were two or three songs that i liked and parts of others and one song was famous because when a movie came out , a english one with kids a song from that Lp was the one of the O.S.T ,it´s melody fair. The ones i really like can´t remenber the name, sudenly was one of them(i just remenbered now)but in the record sounds very good to me and when i listened to the cd it seemed they re-recorded the instruments ,the original is in mono and sounds like a regular band playing a song ,not to much studio efects,those were my fathers records that made me like this songs from bands i didn´t like, when saturday night fever was released it was a international hit, because of the disco movie, i have two doble lp´s at home, don´t remenber how they got there but no one acused them selves of being the owners and i kept them, regards
The 1981 Squeeze album you're talking is East Side Story. It was the first album after Jools Holland first left the band, replaced by Paul Carrack. He performed the lead vocals on the hit single Tempted.

One of my favourite albums of theirs. They had limited appeal as they were London influenced in their lyrics.

Seen them 3 times in concert, the last time when they supported Ray Davis of The Kinks, around 1990 at Alexandra Palace.

Reactions: Rui

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
The 1981 Squeeze album you're talking is East Side Story. It was the first album after Jools Holland first left the band, replaced by Paul Carrack. He performed the lead vocals on the hit single Tempted.

One of my favourite albums of theirs. They had limited appeal as they were London influenced in their lyrics.

Seen them 3 times in concert, the last time when they supported Ray Davis of The Kinks, around 1990 at Alexandra Palace.
the bands that appear around the 1980 or earlier but the pos-punk ,some didn´t knew how to re-invent them selves ,there´s new wave that some make it big but others not .Squeeze didn´t get much sales in their 80´s lp´s,but Squeeze when i liked the song refered by me in the other coment i did look for their lp´s and some were in my friends records and i listen to them all but i didn´t get the style of playing ,i´m portuguese if they had lyrics related with life in london town i wouldn´t get them but that´s one of the bands that i like the song is that love? it seems not equal to others and the vocals were as you refer not the same in some old records i listened at the time ,and jools holand is the same guy who had a real good music show where new bands and older two ,go there and play live and he also plays piano with some known artists that go to the show, the one i remenber the most was the one that the french singer Camille played live and john fogerty was also there playing CCR songs perfectelly and even faster when jools holland said they had no time and he played a song very fast ,every musician played without missing a key this to play rockin`all over the world that was written by him to the band status quo this because in the audience was the lead singer of status quo. this one i remenber the most, but do you agree that the song i refer is not their style of playing this because i heard some Lp´s and none seemed like that song or i might be wrong ,this was in the summer of 81,i had a old bmw a 2002 from 71 , the seats didn´t had head rest and the original radio only had one speaker beneath the radio in the console and couldn´t play cassettes only fm and am and heard it several times on the radio,that summer ,this in Algarve, Portugal ,lot´s of english come to Algarve ,youth in the summer and retired people spend there the winter wich is sunny most of the year ,you might know Algarve, but did saw some concerts in the second alf of the 80´s from House of Love , Blur , the chameleons, the sound, bolshoy , lords of the new church ,(back to the public) jesus and the mary chain, pop will eat it self and others, this i think were the most known but as i had for 35 years a radio show i focused in new bands mostly alternative and some singles(like dozens) were sent to me from several bands. But not all get to be famous. But having spotify i´m going to listen again to Squeeze 80´s lp´s , regards

the bands that appear around the 1980 or earlier but the pos-punk ,some didn´t knew how to re-invent them selves ,there´s new wave that some make it big but others not .Squeeze didn´t get much sales in their 80´s lp´s,but Squeeze when i liked the song refered by me in the other coment i did look for their lp´s and some were in my friends records and i listen to them all but i didn´t get the style of playing ,i´m portuguese if they had lyrics related with life in london town i wouldn´t get them but that´s one of the bands that i like the song is that love? it seems not equal to others and the vocals were as you refer not the same in some old records i listened at the time ,and jools holand is the same guy who had a real good music show where new bands and older two ,go there and play live and he also plays piano with some known artists that go to the show, the one i remenber the most was the one that the french singer Camille played live and john fogerty was also there playing CCR songs perfectelly and even faster when jools holland said they had no time and he played a song very fast ,every musician played without missing a key this to play rockin`all over the world that was written by him to the band status quo this because in the audience was the lead singer of status quo. this one i remenber the most, but do you agree that the song i refer is not their style of playing this because i heard some Lp´s and none seemed like that song or i might be wrong ,this was in the summer of 81,i had a old bmw a 2002 from 71 , the seats didn´t had head rest and the original radio only had one speaker beneath the radio in the console and couldn´t play cassettes only fm and am and heard it several times on the radio,that summer ,this in Algarve, Portugal ,lot´s of english come to Algarve ,youth in the summer and retired people spend there the winter wich is sunny most of the year ,you might know Algarve, but did saw some concerts in the second alf of the 80´s from House of Love , Blur , the chameleons, the sound, bolshoy , lords of the new church ,(back to the public) jesus and the mary chain, pop will eat it self and others, this i think were the most known but as i had for 35 years a radio show i focused in new bands mostly alternative and some singles(like dozens) were sent to me from several bands. But not all get to be famous. But having spotify i´m going to listen again to Squeeze 80´s lp´s , regards
Because you're Portugese, no offense, but you probably don't understand their lyrics. Squeeze came from SE London & I come from SW London.

Tracks from 'Cool For Cats' album, such as 'It's so Dirty' is still for me funny. I won't go into detail why (perhaps later).

Also, 'Is That Love' track from their 1981 album is important. It was co-produced by Elvis Costello. Costello went onto co-produce & write tracks for Paul McCartney's 1989 album 'Flowers In The Dirt' album, which featured the hit single 'My Brave Face'. It's a stripped back Beatles track. Listen to 'Is That Love' & both have the same vibe. Both very Beatleesque

Some of the original members will probably remember John Duncan starting a thread called "Elvis is rubbish". It was a fun thread but there was a lot of good responses.

Think Clare Newsome was cooing over Elvis.

IMHO Elvis wasn't the king of Rock 'n' Roll, for me Buddy Holly was. Buddy wrote or co-wrote, produced most of his songs, whereas Elvis did very little. Elvis's appeal was his looks. He was probably the first manufactured artists as we know them today.

Both Elvis and Buddy's influence can be traced back to the Blues of the 1930s, such as Johnson.

Although The Beatles openly admitted Elvis was a influence, think it was more inspiration of how you can go from rags to riches. Strangely enough, McCartney, good few years ago, owned the back catalogue rights to.... Buddy Holly.

Still think The Beatles, in modern pop music, are the yardstick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts