Most influential artist?

Turns out this question is a bit of a conversational bomb - we've asked it of a great many close friends and their answers have been surprising, and sometimes prompted some interesting inter-couple arguments.

So, who do you think has had the most influence on popular music? I'll leave the definition of influential to you, but it should be about influence in the big, wide world, not just to you personally. Among the answers so far have included:

Buddy Holly - 'For inventing the modern pop song.'
Madonna - for bringing women into a different place in music.
Oasis - ironically from someone who really dislikes The Beatles - nominating their ill-mannered tribute act seems strange.
David Bowie - that was mine, for exerting such influence over so many genres and over so much time.

But I can see a case for something like The Sugar Hill Gang, given how rap dominates music listened to by those rather younger than me.

No right or wrong, but any thoughts?

Reactions: Loverobot

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Kraftwerk have had a very wide ranging influence across many genres
Prince also has I think influenced a lot of artists esp in R n B and Dance music
James Brown again across genres
Santana's influence on modern guitar playing
Miles Davis I think influenced a big change in Jazz

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
And if you had to nail your colours to just one?!
Thats so difficult!
I think in truth probably impossible to answer because they have influenced different streams of music as opposed to all music? I guess unless you go back quite far and beyond my understanding / knowledge
As regards Bowie I cant agree about over music per se but definitely arguable over his influence on culture/public at large - he crossed so many boundaries and is no longer 'just' a musician

D

Deleted member 197450

I wondered if someone was going to mention them. Some great tracks, with wide appeal.
Yep, for sure. I will cancel my GNR and Metallica votes for Queen as my number one because they influenced GNR too.

Reactions: Gray

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
all the most famous artists of their generation, i could give a list of all big musicians that made it to the point of being heard throught out the years, at the same time lot´s of bands or artists are completely forgoten, mostly because they didn´t sell much ,but have a group of followers that will always look for updates on the history of the group or solo atists, i could refer my favorites but would be a lot of artists because i never had a band that i think is or it was the best of the world .I listen to what i think it´s good for my taste not fan of any particular artist, regards

TRENDING THREADS