most effective upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a naim 5i (first one), rega planar 3 tt, both bought used. I think the cartridge is an elys (its purple) and i bought a new rega fono mini from the naim dealer when i bought the 5i. My speakers are rega r5's.

I love the sound but as most of you will know, you always wonder if you can better it!

So what would be the most effective upgrade be as far as getting the best out of my current amp/tt/speakers - ie phono stage - can say spending £300 do justice to current system or is it necessary to then upgrade the cartridge to appreciate the phono amp upgrade? etc etc

Also does anyone know if the planar 3 upgrade kit is worthwhile?

A

Anonymous

Your system looks well balanced and is just about the best use of your money I can think of. I've previously used the same TT, phono stage, cart (well elys 2) into a naim supernait, so know what your playing with.

The first thing I would do is change the counterweight on the RB300 for a Michell Techno Weight - it takes this arm from being pretty good to great (not going to rival a £1000 arm but still great)

Next..if you haven't got the TT on a good support, get one.

I also noticed a huge leap in the size of sound when I swapped out a really nasty phono cable from the stage to the naim with a Chord Crimson - If you have a couple of hundred pounds to play with borrow a couple of sets of phono cables and speaker cable at different price points and keep the ones that sound best (not going to start a cable war, just borrow some and make up your own mind)

I also went to see Stuart at SRM Tech about a Rega upgrade kit - I think his stuff can add some nice improvements BUT i didn't go that route as I fell in love with a TT in his dem room and walked away with it.

A

Anonymous

Lewis - I replaced the counter weight on my RB250 with an Origin live counter weight (for about £70 I think) and (to my surprise) I found it made a huge difference. People seem to debate whether the Techno weight or the Origin live one is better - only heard the Origin one but given Boy Wonder's recommendation suspect they are both improvements.

Also don't think you can go wrong with Chord cables I've been through loads of them - they do seem to get better the more you are prepared to spend but I think the biggest improvement I noticed was at entry level (when I got a Chrysalis) which I think the Crimson is pretty much equivalent to now (but presumably its a bit better)

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Both are effective upgrades - the Michell technoweight is a good upgrade that tightens up sound more than you'd expect. As for a wall support, the Hi-Fi Racks Podium wall shelf is a beautiful choice within budget - or, if this wouldn't match your room, you can't go too wrong with the Apollo WT1 wall shelf. You could also try some new cables - and don't forget to buy some maintanence kit such as a stylus cleaner to get the best out of the current cartridge
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts