more volume issues

a while back, i noticed some volume fluctuations in my amp, while playing.

firstly, the volume crept up on its own, slowly, but noticeably. i turned the amp off, left it a while and all was well.

since then, several times i have noticed the volume dropping quite quickly, and the sound becoming thin and very noisy (hiss)

this has happened again tonight. is this the end for the leema? or is this gonna be something easy to fix?

shadders

bigfish786 said:
a while back, i noticed some volume fluctuations in my amp, while playing.

firstly, the volume crept up on its own, slowly, but noticeably. i turned the amp off, left it a while and all was well.

since then, several times i have noticed the volume dropping quite quickly, and the sound becoming thin and very noisy (hiss)

this has happened again tonight. is this the end for the leema? or is this gonna be something easy to fix?
Hi,

When this happens, can you try switching inputs to see if it clears? My Cambridge Audio amplifier has similar issue, where I think it is the relays losing contact slightly, and switching the inputs re-energises them.

Possible that the amplifier has a solid state volume control, which is easily fixed with a replacement.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

bigfish786 said:
i'll give this a go, but to be honest i would like a permanent solution. i've contacted Leema, to see what they say.
Hi,

I suggested the above just to determine where the issue resides. I don't think you need a new amplifier, as it should be repairable.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

bigfish786 said:
Response from Leema says this could be caused by a Sony remote control.
Hi,

OK - every remote should have their own codes for sending, but i do not see how the Sony remote could cause the hiss and thin sound. Does the Leema remote emulate this at any time ?, can you get the Leema remote to make this change you are hearing ?

If not - then i do not see how a Sony remote could do this.

Regards,

Shadders.

I'm not sure how to explain this fully, as I'm not too sure what is happening to the Amp itself, but apparently the Sony remote I use for my TV could be affecting the amp in some way. I don't know how, but that was the problem in two other separate cases. Whether it was stuck buttons, or done other reason, im not sure. But today I have used both amp and TV without issue. Yesterday I mainly used the turntable, but had the TV on in the background, I never touched the TVs remote, but the volume on the amp decreased, and distorted all evening.

Tomorrow, I will try the turntable again, and see what happens .

shadders

bigfish786 said:
I'm not sure how to explain this fully, as I'm not too sure what is happening to the Amp itself, but apparently the Sony remote I use for my TV could be affecting the amp in some way. I don't know how, but that was the problem in two other separate cases. Whether it was stuck buttons, or done other reason, im not sure. But today I have used both amp and TV without issue. Yesterday I mainly used the turntable, but had the TV on in the background, I never touched the TVs remote, but the volume on the amp decreased, and distorted all evening.

Tomorrow, I will try the turntable again, and see what happens .
Hi,

I am not sure how the Sony infrared remote can affect your amplifier electrical system to cause hiss or distortion. It is posible that the Sony and Leema infrared modulation codes are very similar. This may account for the reduction in volume, but not the distortion or hiss.

Is the distortion at low volume levels only?

Did you switch the inputs when the hiss or distortion occurred?

Regards,

Shadders.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Just take out the batteries of the sony remote, play your leema and see what happens so you can see for yourself if the remote is or is not causing any problems

I had to laugh to myself when I opened the leema remote to replace the batteries and there were two Sony batteries staring right back at me.

I had no problems last night using the tv and amp together. I watched some YouTube content for a while.

i'll try the turntable and CD player tonight, with the tv off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts