More on Dual turntables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After the great feedback to my initial question on suitability of Dual turntables as a serious piece of hi-fi kit I have bought myself a CS505-2 for very little money which appears to be in excellent condition having had the one previous owner. It is as standard and I now need to set it up. Tracking force, anti skating setting offers 'dry' or 'wet' playing settings? Also spherical or elliptical styli? The previous owner used turntable to transfer his 80+ LPs to tape and thats all. I also have his collection of LPs which are prestine (having only been played the once) and am keen to listen to them when I get it set up etc. I will be playing it through a Rotel RA 820A amp and Wharfdale 7.1 Diamond speakers. All advice on set-up and upgrades would be greatfully recieved. Thanks for listening (so to speak) Robert

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
If it has the standard cartridge, it will more than likely be an Ortofon OM. This is normally paired with an elliptical stylus. I would go for around 1.6g of tracking force and the same on the anti-skate dial (set for elliptical). Then try increasing it to 1.8g and see if makes the sound more solid. If not, go back to 1.6.

Then just enjoy the records!

A

Anonymous

I bought a 505-2 as an interim table for £20 while I was selling my Debut III with a view to upgrading with the cash raised. I preferred the 505 by a mile. Great wee turntables and the suspension vs fixed comparison helped direct me as to a selestion of potential targets. So now I've just accquired a Systemdek IIX which is in the post (crosses fingers lol).

The original idea was to then sell on the Dual but I've become quite attached to it's charm over the last month and it would be handy to have around if I want to try any mods to the Systemdek or even get some work done to make the rather ugly plinth a bit more striking.

I sold the dual/ortofon cart on the debut III and used a Shure M75ED with LP Gear Hyper elleptical replacement stylus on the Dual.

TRENDING THREADS