more newbie help

fishheads

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I say "more" as I presume there are 20 of these questions a week, so apologies in advance!

I'm a music fan and buy a lot of vinyl (rock, folk, electronica, etc).

Up until now my equipment has been beyond basic (old inherited hi-fi, cheaply wired up to my PC for easy recording and listening through computer speakers).

I'm looking to dip my toes into getting some decent equipment but if anything, looking through the internet leaves you feeling overwhelmed with info and there appear to be surprisingly few starter guides!

So, to get to the point, i've decided on buying a Rega RP1 turntable with Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers.

The decision partly made by convenience (both are easily available where I am) and as you have probably guessed from the choices, i'm not on a huge budget. I also don't really have a second-hand market available to me.

I need an amp to go with this and I'm a bit lost (which is the main reason for the post).

Any suggestions? Obviously budget is a concern, and ease of availability. I'm not in need of a lot of bass or power (quite a small flat and don't want to upset the neighbours!). One of the stores i'm looking to buy from has a Rega Brio but I fear that, with those speakers, the whole system will lack a bit of power to even meet my needs.

Any other tips or hints or links to relevant threads for total newbies would be more than welcome!

THanks in advance

So you need an amp that's good with Rega TTs, Wharfedale speakers? And has ability to music well at low levels...

Few makes, most of which can be sourced from most retailers: Rotel RA-04 or 05. Arcam FMJ A18, Marantz and a lot of people rate the new Yamaha... but you really need to audition a few different brands, side-by-side preferably, and decide which ones have the WOW factor. Not heard Rega amps so can't advise. The only thing I will say is I've heard on here that Rega amps do prefer their sibling speakers and CDPs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts