More Fuel For The Fire

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
"As you connect more and more items together, say an HD box and games console, or multi channel amplifier, you will need better and better quality cables to maintain the quality of the signal. " Need one say more?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I had to Google the technology reviewer they quoted, as I'd never heard of him, and of course the idea that the more sources you have the better the cables have to be is nonensical, too: the number of units doesn't affect the efficacy, or otherwise, of better cables.

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if it was the best researched article but I have never seen DSGi chains stock brands such as Chord, QED or van den Hul so what they are selling for between £20 and £120 and the fact they can discount them to ensure a sale makes me wonder.

Also, what is perceived to be a higher end store like John Lewis to state that the £20 model is all you need is quite surprising.

scene

OK, some of the comments from the BBC expert were a little dubious. Trying to stay scientific
emotion-15.gif
a longer HDMI cable would be more subject to electrical interference and attenuation, causing bit errors. Given that there is the requirement to maintain HDCP handshaking, such bit rot could cause the loss of picture at the remote end, or prevent 1080p being achieved. So if you have a long run from your source to display - say that 10m run from the BD player to the ceiling-mounted projector, you probably want to go for an expensive cable. If your BD player is 0.5m from your amp, which you're passing the signal through, your less likely to get any problems.

My question is: Has anyone (independent) done the comparison on a purely scientific basis. I.e. taken a number of different HDMI cables of different length from different manufacutres and compared the signal at source end to target end? Or is this covered by the HDMI 1.3c / 1.4 standard already...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Woodruffe:

I don't know if it was the best researched article but I have never seen DSGi chains stock brands such as Chord, QED or van den Hul so what they are selling for between £20 and £120 and the fact they can discount them to ensure a sale makes me wonder.

Also, what is perceived to be a higher end store like John Lewis to state that the £20 model is all you need is quite surprising.
It does not surprise me. JL usually do very well in surveys for giving accurate and helpful information, DSGi do not and spend a great deal of time trying to shift over priced insurance. That they are pushing over priced cables too is par for the course.