More Bass

Old is good

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I would like to improve the Bass end on my LP system.I don't use a lot of volume so a lack of good decent bass with the system is a problem.What intergrated amp or speakers would people advise for the above problem.If I turn the bass full on on the Marantz the bass is not too bad at low volume but could still do with improvements. My system is a Thorens TD 125mk2 and SME 3009 arm with a Goldring 1042 cartridge into a Rega Fono MM mk2 pre-amplifier.Speakers are Tannoy Mercury V and the stereo intergrated amp is a Marantz PM 6004.( I do prefer bass/treble controls) .CD player and Tuner would also be used.

Old is good

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi plastic penguin. My speakers are Tannoy V4's. Being a pensioner I dont have a big budget but £300/400 is o/k.Would a good second hand amp be a good bet?.Thanks for replying.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Old is good said:
Hi plastic penguin. My speakers are Tannoy V4's. Being a pensioner I dont have a big budget but £300/400 is o/k.Would a good second hand amp be a good bet?.Thanks for replying.

Personally I would try Nad amps. They generally have deep, throbbing bass. However, you will lose a little subtlety of the Marantz.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/nad-c-316beestereo-integrated-amplifier?referrer=WHFshop

I'd add 10 to that and suggest the NAD C326BEE. (It's within the OP's budget and will have more oomph.)

As you are aving to turn your bass tone control up full to get the sound you want, I'd suggest there must be a mire fundamental problem. Certainly something that an upgraded amp might struggle to solve.

Best get something on home dem good dealer so you can be sure it fixes what you think needs fixing

(Apologies for typos I can't correct with iPad )

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Old is good said:
....If I turn the bass full on on the Marantz the bass is not too bad at low volume but could still do with improvements.

That is a bit worrying. At very low volumes bass and treble can sometimes need a small 'lift' (due to the way the sensitivity of the human ear falls off at the frequency extremes at low volume), but full-on bass at any volume suggests you like the audio equivalent of ten spoons of sugar in your hi-fi tea!

I have seen this in people a few times before. They start off using a little 'seasoning' to perk up the sound and before you know it, they are hooked and the tone controls are permanently turned up as far as they'll go and the loudness switch is turned on too.

I don't know what to suggest other than an active subwoofer to relieve your amp from bass duties that are probably way beyond it's pay-grade if it's turned up to the max.

Either that or ween yourself off the bass control gradually, or get an integrated amp that has no tone controls and go 'cold turkey' until your ears re-adjust.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
[t other than an active subwoofer to relieve your amp from bass duties that are probably way beyond it's pay-grade if it's turned up to the max.

Active subwoofer best choice. I don't think another integrated amp like the NAD or any other brand could do any difference.

With an active subwoofer he can turn the bass up as loud as he likes without pretending too much from his integrated amp like any good rock and roll pensioner should do! :p

nopiano said:
As you are aving to turn your bass tone control up full to get the sound you want, I'd suggest there must be a mire fundamental problem. Certainly something that an upgraded amp might struggle to solve.

Best get something on home dem good dealer so you can be sure it fixes what you think needs fixing

(Apologies for typos I can't correct with iPad )

Agreed. Only a dem of a different amp will discover if there is a problem.

Old is good

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. A big thank you to all that replied. I bought a Yamaha AS500 amp(with sub out) and a Tannoy TS2.10.Once set up the sound is great . All the deep deep bass I want (i'm an old bass player)from the Tannoy and a nice balance into the bargain. The Yamaha is quite detailed for what I paid for it.So a big thanks to everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts