More Bass !! Arcam A80 , Arcam cd73, Monitor Audio BR5, QED silver anniversary cables and chord interconnects

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First of all im going to apologise, i listen to RnB and HipHop. There is something missing from my setup, i crave more bass and i cant figure out what is missing from my system. Is it me being completly ignorant to some major factor that hinders the low frequencies i crave? I was considering purchasing the Arcam p80/85 to help boost my amp power, do you think this will help? Does anyone know of any specific cables that will really help sonic delivery, because im completly stuck on this one? Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

The system you have there should provide some serious bass - what's the size of your room?

A

Anonymous

The room is aprox 4x4m, the only think that im aware of the does hamper sound is the laminate floor, but i have covered it all up with rugs and such. The speakers have enough room to breath from the walls. This is why im confused at why its lacking the punch. I was looking at replacing the cables with the nordost blue heaven, you think that will help?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Change your cables to Chord Carnival Silver; that will be better for the bass weight re the BR5 speakers.

IMO though the Arcam DiVA A80 amp was never a 'bass monster' a bit like the A90. Plenty of power and will drive lots of speakers but lacked bass weight.

You could look at adding the P85 or P90 power amps; that will offer you a bit more bass weight and good speaker control OR you could look to change your amp for the older but more punchy and powerful Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp and matching power amp (if you wanted to bi-amp your speakers).

Theyll do very well with your CD73 and will drive the M/A speakers very well offering hell of a lot of solid, punchy bass weight, smooth midrage and great treble :)

Or if thats out of the question; look to invest in a decent sub :)

A

Anonymous

Hmm...does sound wiered...that's a nicely big room and the flooring won't make that much of a difference...the cables would help (QED are quite lean) but the difference won't be significant - however I'm thinking the A80 may be a bit soft perhaps - do you have an older amplifier you are not using (2 channel only)? If you do, try using that and see if the bass improves - if it does, you may need to think about changing the amp.

A

Anonymous

I'm just guessing here, but I think you are not missing "more" bass, but rather more impact, slam, punch from it.

I haven't heard the MA BR5, so I don't know if they can punch. But I know for sure that the A80 isn't the more muscular amp around, when it comes to bass slam.

Cables won't solve it. The biggest difference will be changing the amp and/or the speakers. IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Yep, a sub, its important to get the timing and nibbleness to it so a closed box design works better than a ported.

Try the B&W ASW610 or for a bit more the Monitor Audio RS W12.

A

Anonymous

Yeh i was considering the possibility of the amp not being up to par. Thats why is was thinking of the arcam p85 to help out. What other amps are around that will be suited to my system. Money isnt too much of an issue, i was looking at maybe the Roksan Kandy mk111 or maybe the k2. Then in a year or so, change the speakers. But obviously if i can sort out my current system with a simple change round i will do.

A

Anonymous

If you want a excellent amplifier with attack and dynamics look at the Roksan amps, the Class-D Rotel amps and the new Yamaha amps.

A

Anonymous

A sub would certainly be a good option.

What do you guys think about bi-ampling, using the existing A80 for the highs, and a NAD power amp for the bass? I know they are not as refined as Arcam or Roksan, but those NAD power amps really kick! I know it looks like an odd combo, it's just an idea...

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I certainly think the BR5's are bassy enough (my brother has them and they are way bassier than my standmounts which is his preference), the QED is quite lean cable and i got a much better sound from the Chord Silverscreen when i changed, so this is a fair starting point.

A revised amplifier is probably the most likely one to impact the music you specify, i think the NAD's are great for increasing bass punch and general emphasis and the Roksan Kandy is well regarded too.

Personally i do prefer Arcam but then my music taste suits its more refined and detailed presentation.

A

Anonymous

If you are happy with the musicality on the mid/highs adding a quality sub will be ideal. Upgrading later to some RS6's will make a good match and will be a significant improvement.

Amplifier wise I do like the Cyrus range especially when hooked up to the PSU's!

Probably too much of an upgrade for you at the moment

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts