More attention to energy use, please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear editors, would it be an idea to mention the energy use of stuff you review, certainly for TVs? For example, a Panasonic TX37LZD85 will cost its owner approximately £ 400 in electricity bills over 10 years, whereas a same-sized plasma will set you back almost £ 800 - according to independent research. That's almost double! Not to mention the even bigger screen sizes, which you're writing about so enthousiastically in the April issue. Reading various forums, a lot of home cinema enthousiasts are taking energy use into account, both for financial and environmental reasons. I think it would be great if you could help them by systematically mentioning energy use in your Buyer's Guide, and maybe even take it into account awarding stars. What do you say?

A

Anonymous

Oh dear, when it comes to the AV amps our Onkyo's will be down in the dumps then.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
trevor79:Oh dear, when it comes to the AV amps our Onkyo's will be down in the dumps then.

Well I guess it's all about letting people make an informed decision. ÿ

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
MacCyrus:Dear editors, would it be an idea to mention the energy use of stuff you review, certainly for TVs? For example, a Panasonic TX37LZD85 will cost its owner approximately £ 400 in electricity bills over 10 years, whereas a same-sized plasma will set you back almost £ 800 - according to independent research. That's almost double! Not to mention the even bigger screen sizes, which you're writing about so enthousiastically in the April issue. Reading various forums, a lot of home cinema enthousiasts are taking energy use into account, both for financial and environmental reasons. I think it would be great if you could help them by systematically mentioning energy use in your Buyer's Guide, and maybe even take it into account awarding stars. What do you say?

What a great idea. I guess manufacturers have to produce this information anyway? Maybe WHF could print their energy efficiency charts alongside the review.

All my stuff goes off at the wall every evening (apart from PVR and Sky). I was quite concerned when I recently handed over my credit card to purchase a Naim CD5i, and the dealer told me "these things like to be left on all the time"! Cant make that much difference surely?!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
"these things like to be left on all the time"! Cant make that much difference surely?!
just use your brain.At night I always turn everything first to standby, then the power button gets turned off. Of course these things work better after reaching the normal temperature of usage.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
ear:
just use your brain.

Thanks for that advice

ear:

Of course these things work better after
reaching the normal temperature of usage.

Er yes ofcourse, but they dont need to be left on 24/7 in order to reach normal temperature usage.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
then again, not so much difference. I always think of energy peaks and when electricity supply fails it is not good for sure to electronic equipment. I always turn everything off when Im not at home , or sleeping.

A

Anonymous

Only thing to remember is, if you're using a surge protected plug, and you switch it off, you're also switching off the surge protection. If you then get a power cut overnight, you're equipment can easily be damaged. This has happened to me twice.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
scoxall:Only thing to remember is, if you're using a surge protected plug, and you switch it off, you're also switching off the surge protection. If you then get a power cut overnight, you're equipment can easily be damaged. This has happened to me twice. Thanks scoxall. Thats exactly what I use! Didnt realise surge protection wouldnt work with the thing switched off.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
ear:Ok it will also work if you pull the main plug from the socket lol.

emotion-2.gif
A fair point - well made.

A

Anonymous

MacCyrus:Dear editors, would it be an idea to mention the energy use of stuff you review, certainly for TVs?

I agree with MacCyrus. It would be great to have this sort of information included somehow in the reviews.

A

Anonymous

I would also like to see this kind of information included in reviews.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All on the agenda when we get a database upgrade for both website and in-mag Buyer's Guide. Can't give you an exact date on that, i'm afraid.

In the meantime, we're clearly featuring and flagging up the green/energy-use credentials of appropriate products when we test them.

A

Anonymous

Great news news Clare, thanks for the update! I'm really looking forward to these changes.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I agree on this subject. On a slight sideways note I purchased a Logitec Harmony One universal remote. One thing I didn't think of when I bought it was all of your gear needs to be in standby mode, so as I turm mine off when it's not in use it has become of little use to me. I may even get rid of it.

The only thing I leave on is my NAS drive for the sonos and this is only because it is upstairs.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Andy H:I agree on this subject. On a slight sideways note I purchased a Logitec Harmony One universal remote. One thing I didn't think of when I bought it was all of your gear needs to be in standby mode, so as I turm mine off when it's not in use it has become of little use to me. I may even get rid of it. The only thing I leave on is my NAS drive for the sonos and this is only because it is upstairs.

I power my stuff off/on manually but still use Harmony One for changing inputs and TV channels etc. Just set the devices to always on and it wont do any power on/offs.

A

Anonymous

Dear Clare,

It's now 1,5 years since your last post on this issue and I'm not seeing much being done. The only thing I see is the editors recommending bigger and bigger screens for shorter and shorter viewing distances. A 50" inch screen if you're sitting 2 metres away from it, are you serious? I'm 3,5 m away from my 37" Panasonic and I can see everything just fine! The least you can do if you're recommending huge screen sizes is being clear and honest about the equally huge energy bills that will accompany them.

What's more, if I want to know the energy use of, for example, TVs you recommend, I still have to surf to several web pages to find out their power consumption. I've now shortlisted eight 32" TVs (more than big enough for me). All get 5 stars from your magazine, and their power consumption during normal use varies from 67 W (Sony 32EX703) to 180 W (Samsung LE 32A558). That's almost three times as much! Quite a big difference on your energy bill if you watch telly 3 to 4 hours a day, not to mention the effect on CO2 emissions and climate change.

Is What HiFi going to take its responsibility or should I give up hope?

Kind regards,

Jaap

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MacCyrus:I've now shortlisted eight 32" TVs (more than big enough for me). All get 5 stars from your magazine, and their power consumption during normal use varies from 67 W (Sony 32EX703) to 180 W (Samsung LE 32A558). That's almost three times as much! Quite a big difference on your energy bill if you watch telly 3 to 4 hours a day,

Perhaps you should get out more then?

Is What HiFi going to take its responsibility or should I give up hope?

Don't be silly, the power consumption of an electronic device is in no way WHF's "responsibility"! You could certainly argue that choosing a more efficient device is the consumer's responsibility and in that case if you're that interested you can find it on the manufacturers website for the product, that shouldn't take you very long at all.

Sure it would be "nice" to have this info on WHF but there's no need to get overly dramatic just because the info isn't there.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And as Clare said way back when, the extra information was going to be incorporated if and when a database/website upgrade was put in place.

For a whole chain of reasons likely to have JD scoffing HobNobs or swigging full-fat Coca Cola with a nervous twitch at their very mention, that still hasn't happened.

A

Anonymous

MacCyrus: It's now 1,5 years since your last post on this issue and I'm not seeing much being done.
I've now shortlisted eight 32" TVs

Has it taken you 1.5 years?
emotion-8.gif

Maybe in 2015 you might actually buy one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts