Mordaunt Short Avant 902i or Dali Zensor 1?

Pjotter

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
What would be the best choice of speakers, Mordaunt Short Avant 902i or Dali Zensor 1, to be combined with either:

1. the Marantz CR610 receiver or

2. the Marantz PM6005 amp.

Thanx!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I would say its an impossible question. Therw may be several worthy contenders at this price point. Personal preference with sound and appearance demand audition. (From someone who never did an audition - sorry).. These and others will sound slightly different dependant on room, kit, personal taste and music taste. Tough choices but buying blind thwn neither nor others should disappoint. Why did I bother to answer? I rarely find a one product endorsememt without qualification bery useful.

Pjotter

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I would say its an impossible question. Therw may be several worthy contenders at this price point. Personal preference with sound and appearance demand audition. (From someone who never did an audition - sorry).. These and others will sound slightly different dependant on room, kit, personal taste and music taste. Tough choices but buying blind thwn neither nor others should disappoint. Why did I bother to answer? I rarely find a one product endorsememt without qualification bery useful.

And what if I am unable to listen to both and compair? I know the 902i's which are great speakers. I'm interested though in the personal preference of people who have been able to compair the two labels, for I won't be in that position.

Becky_Roberts

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
They're both great speakers but if you're not 100% certain what to pair them with yet, the Zensor 1s are your best bet. They're simply great all-rounders. Be wary that the Mordaunts can sound a little bright if something they're partnered with sounds forward at the top end also.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I rhink the op would value Beckys reply since it gives some reasoning. I have no idea, not knowing either units. Whilst personal preference, room etc make blind choice difficult, I, like many, rely on those able to give comparitive comment (like Becky).

There are many Dali converts here so they would certainly be on my short list.

DFW

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Can I suggest the The MS Aviano 1xr's - I had a pair of these for about a month on the end of a Marantz PM7200KI and they were awesome. Suited the amp better than the 902i's. Definitely worth an audition

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The tweeters for the 902i are really hard to get hold of if you blow them and they are really easy to blow. Not too sure how but I went through 902i and 904i and 906 tweeters like a madman in the early 2000s. I'd go with the dali even though I know nothingo f them simply due to the fact you can no longer get tweeters for the 902is. If you can find the little Avianos or Mezzos they are more reliable and sound so much better if you like electronica and liquid treble. I always wanted a pair of 908s maybe they were more reliable in the tweeter department.

T

the record spot

WHy jst those two? What size is your room? If it;'s small, then overlook the Tannoys I use at your loss. I'm assuming that you have a decent sized space though as the 902s are quite deep and likely need some room to breathe to be at their best.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
" overlook the Tannoys I use at your loss. "

did you fall out with your new pioneers ? , I know you took a blind punt on them but you seemed happywith them

James

T

the record spot

Nope, they're in their box, but the Tannoys are pretty special and work better in my room. I'm keeping the Pioneers for when I move to a larger place as they'll work better with more room to spare.

T

the record spot

I had today at home and went through a bunch of albums on CD, God I was chuffed. The Tannoys bring real presence. They might be small speakers but the performance is huge. One of the best I've heard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts