Monolith has arrived and.................wow!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
BK Monolith in Walnut arrived late Friday evening (21.00 from TNT), all 50 kgs of it!!

Hastily positioned yesterday, connected up and a quick SPL sweep, (everybody home so couldn't do a proper effort)

Initial thoughts:

Beautiful build quality, walnut veneer is stunning

Packaging/delivery excellent

Early days but a quick view of Kung Fu Panda tonight shows how subtle the sub is and a real monster when asked to.

Need to do a bit of minor tweaking positionally although not a million miles away of the final position

Waited almost 4 weeks for delivery (quoted 3 weeks) only niggle I would raise is that BK are not known for the Customer Service and there were a few gaps trhying to understand the delay and final delivery date

Other than that. the sub is stunning, pics tomorrow if I can work it out.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Enjoy em in good health - sounds like early impressions are good!
smiley-smile.gif

scene

I look forward to hearing a fuller review once you get the Monolith fully set up...

I'm particularly interested because I'm flip-flopping between the choice of a BK Monolith or XXLS-400 to partner my MA kit.

In fact - ashcorn: How do you find the Monolith, as your speakers are very similar to mine...?

ashcorn

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi scene

First up I should say I only use my sub for Films and TV. I find my RS 6s fine by themselves for music and I don't want to mess up the timing.

My listeing room is approx 6m x 5m and I found the RS W12 got boxy and banged when pressed and became intrusive.

The Monolith is in the same spot as the RS W12 and provides more base extention. It integrates very well with my other speakers. You are not particularly aware of the sub, but there is deep powefull base. The whole system sounds better in my opinion.

The Monolith is well made and incredable value.

All in all, I am very happy with the change and am enjoying revisiting old films in my collection.

scene

Thanks for that ashcorn!

My room is not so different in size - 5.8x6.3m - and when I've demo'd the RS/XW12, I've been a bit worried about how well it would cope under strain.

Yes, I tend to agree with you that MA speakers on their own sound great for music (are you listening pp? ;) ) but I'm still in two minds as, recently, we've been listening to a bit more m/c music...

Sliced Bread

ashcorn said:
It integrates very well with my other speakers.
Hi Ashcorn,

I have an RSW12 too. I really like it, but I've always been curious about the Monolith! How does it compare with the RSW12, further up the frequencies? I.E. adding depth to vocals? Is it more delicate than they RSW12 in this regard?

Thanks

ashcorn

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sliced Bread

I can't really notice any change in the depth of vocals. I suspect the Audyssey setup on my amp is cutting the frequency off below voice frequencies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts