Monitor Audio Silver Av12 receiver options

Nirajbuk

Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi there

I wanted to get some advice on what would be a great receiver for my Monitor Audio.

As per the subject I've currently got the Monitor Audio Silver AV12 with a Pioneer SC-LX57. As you all may know the amp is around 8 years old. When watching films are a decent volume, it seems harsh/bright at high volumes, almost to the point where i feel there is distortion coming from them. I get so paranoid that when i feel like I've heard distortion i turn the amp off, rewind the film then re-listen to that part of the film purely from the tv speakers and it generally sounds the same. This could simply be the speakers having such amazing clarity that its picking up every sound possible but just doesn't seem right.

I also feel that there isnt much control when there is alot going on during the film (opening scene of The Hobbit) and the bass is hit and miss. I did purchase the amp second hand so not sure if its had a tough life or not and maybe the processing is struggling perhaps?

I have adopted the Advanced MCACC but its such a complex calibration system I've done what i can with if after reading on how to get the best from it.

My question is what receiver have people typically paired these speakers?

What upgrade options are available to me? Would a power amp to the fronts help and keeping the existing receiver?

Also I'd potentially look at going down the separates route and have a pre amp and power amp. If anyone has done this, any insight would be good for these speakers.

Room size is 11ft x 19ft
Budget I'd say between £2k-£3k

Look forward to the response.
Cheers

Last edited:
For your budget, I would look at Anthem MRX 740. Denon, Marantz and Yamaha also pair very well with Monitor Audio.

I've got Monitor Audio W280-IDC for fronts and centre, W280 for sides and rears, and W265 for overhead speakers for a 7.1.4 Atmos system. These speakers share exactly the same drivers as Monitor Audio Silvers. I initially had Marantz SR7009 AV receiver, and now have Denon X6400h AV receiver, both are excellent (the Marantz just edges the Denon). My previous system was Monitor Audio Radius HD speakers with Yamaha RX-V1900 AVR. That was a beautiful match too.

Last edited:

Nirajbuk

Jan 10, 2021
Visit site
Im looking at arranging a trial for the denon x6700. I will also try getting one for the latest anthem mrx 740. Both look to be very strong contenders. I'd love to consider the yamaha after reading reviews on them but yea over budget unfortunately but good call out!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts