Monitor Audio RX6 with nad 326 or alternative speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks

Am looking to change my B&W 685's for something else.

Have NAD 326/545 combo, and currently disappointed with the B&W's midrange, and over emphasis on mid-bass. treble is spot on with these, just the other aspects I don't like, plus you have to really turn them up to get good imaging, and they are not the most subtle of speakers. I don't listen to music at insane volumes,would ideally like something a bit smoother and cohesive. I have auditioned a few speakers, RX1, Dynaudios dm2/6 and excite 16. Dynaudio dm2/6 were the pick of the bunch. MA RX1 were way too harsh. Excite 16 . sounded nearly the same as dm2/6, smooth treble, nice mids, tight bass.

My question is, any other suggestions to try? I would ideally like a more sensitive speaker, with good mids, must be smooth treble, and also I want a bit of grunt low end, but not too in your face like the B&w 685's. Nightime listening isimportant for me. MA RX6 look nice, and seem to fit the bill, but its the treble I'm worried about.

Any feedback gladly appreciated

A

Anonymous

the treble was fine with the rx6/ c326 combo when i had it , but the bass was too overpowering for me , the marantz pm6003 i have now is much better for my tastes ...

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I would try some Dali Lektor or even Dali Ikon speakers. Or the Avi Neutron 5.

But first change the amp, buy a Marantz PM6003. The NAD C326 has too much bass, not a fault of the B&W speakers.

A

Anonymous

I have thought of changing the amp/or even possibly the source. I've bunged the ports on the speakers, tried different tone control combinations, but can't seem to get the right sound. i do find that the 685's need to be driven to get the best out of them. Would another amp give me the lower volume level detail and sound I'm after paired with the 685's?

A

Anonymous

Any good musical AV receivers out there for about £500 that would do me ok?

Not trying to sidetrack but I have been thinking of going down that route and only have limited space on my equipment rack.

Any opinions welcome

A

Anonymous

Try to audition the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 speakers, I have got them with the Cambridge Audio 650 Amp and 650 CDP, I did listen with the B&W 685s, Mezzo 2s and the Kef IQ5SE speakers, and the Mezzo 6s were Way above the rest. Whilst I am more than pleased with set up and sound I have got, it would have been nice to be able to listen to the MA RX6s. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

have you though of changing the source? the C326/545 combo is very rich and has a lot of base.

bifftanner1:

Hi folks

Am looking to change my B&W 685's for something else.

Have NAD 326/545 combo, and currently disappointed with the B&W's midrange, and over emphasis on mid-bass. treble is spot on with these, just the other aspects I don't like, plus you have to really turn them up to get good imaging, and they are not the most subtle of speakers. I don't listen to music at insane volumes,would ideally like something a bit smoother and cohesive. I have auditioned a few speakers, RX1, Dynaudios dm2/6 and excite 16. Dynaudio dm2/6 were the pick of the bunch. MA RX1 were way too harsh. Excite 16 . sounded nearly the same as dm2/6, smooth treble, nice mids, tight bass.

My question is, any other suggestions to try? I would ideally like a more sensitive speaker, with good mids, must be smooth treble, and also I want a bit of grunt low end, but not too in your face like the B&w 685's. Nightime listening isimportant for me. MA RX6 look nice, and seem to fit the bill, but its the treble I'm worried about.

Any feedback gladly appreciated

RS6 and RX6 can be provoked with a bright sounding amp. However, Nad is fine: it has smooth mids and crisp treble, but Nad, like maxflinn said, can produce a welter of bass.

If you want stick with standmounted speakers e.g. Epos M5i, MA RX1 or EB Acoustic EB1s. Alternatively, if you're adament about floostanders, a good option would be Focal 714V. They are smooth, detailed and less bassy than the RX6.

A

Anonymous

Most of my new kit has been purchased in the last six months, and never really been happy with it from day one. I did audition, but when you get home its a different story. I've gone from a Denon DM37 with wharfedale 9.1's, and evolved to the Nad 326/545 & 685's.

Just to try it out as an alternative-nothing to lose, I'm running the 685's through the Denon DM37. I have never tried this combo, and initially, this is giving me what seems to be the sound I've craved. I've forked out a few quid this year trying to get the right sound, so want to keep costs down (especially with a 6 mth old baby here now) I was worried the DM37 wouldn't drive the 685's, but it actually drives them easier than the wharfedale 9.1's. The bass is now defined and clear instead of in your face all the time. Mids are clear and where they should be, and treble is smooth. Separation is not as good, but this can detract from the music sometimes. I didn't like the 9.1/dm37 combo, but the Denon/685 is bang on the nail. For anyone else, I recommend this pairing for sure, the DM37 at volume 14 makes these speakers sing lovely.

So, looks like I'll be selling nad 326/nad 545 in the very near future. Also Denon TU1800 tuner to go. For me, theres just too much bass injected into music and the mids are a little recessed.

May consider part ex for a high chair and walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Interesting Biff, I linked up the 685s to my Denon M37 while waiting to get the 545&326 - i was amazed with the result. I also have just got this combo and love the result - let me know where you end up - I may also test out the Denon again to hear the difference after some time with the NAD's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts