Monitor Audio RX6 Soundstage Help!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, guys so Im new to the forum but have been reading a lot since around december when I made the audiophile dive and started to look for best sound i could get at a relatively affordable price. My problem is this Ive had the MA RX6 you guys know about for a few months now and am running them Bi-Amped through a 110w/channel Onkyo Receiver, and while the MAs are well great Monitors, no pun intended, the soundstage is just not there for me which is something Ive also noticed with some other british monitors (namely B&W an KEF) as opposed to some canadian ones Ive also heard and read about (Energy,PSB) however with not as much detail. It could be that am running music to the receiver directly through a Zune Dock, maybe a DAC might help?? So I know this questions has been asked a lot around here but i want to get an amp that might help in the soundstage department while also expanding on all of the great qualities of this wondeful speaker but the Arcam amp that some of you recommend is out of my price range at this point so am looking at a Rotel RB 1565 or an Anthem PVA 5, I know these are multi-channels but am looking to have them Bi-Amped as my RX6 dont respond well with regular amplification, has anybody else had that problem?? Oh I almost forgot even though this are my main front channels right now I want to move them to another room and use them solely for stereo listening... my music choice varies quite a bit so these will be playing Pop, Hip hop, R&B, Soft Rock and the like.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

A

Anonymous

Hi Sound Addict,

I am a bit confused by your post, I have heard the MA RX6's driven by a Marantz PM6003 and they sounded, well, stunning. Nothing wrong with the sound stage there.

A

Anonymous

I'd say that your issue is that you're using a good AV amp to power superb stereo speakers...

If you could; try a home demo with a decent stereo power amp (i.e. Roksan, NAD, Arcam, Rotel, even Cyrus) and that will make a definate improvement IMO

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
To get good sounstaging apart from a good amp and a pair of good speakers the acoustic of your room is also very important. If there are many reflections in your room the music will be mixed up thus affecting soundstaging. See the link in my signature and look at the Impulse diagram and you will understand what I mean.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help guys, I know i definitely have to get out there and try to listen to some different amps problem is where I live (Am in he US btw) all of the shops only carry A/V receivers and I want to power the MAs with a similarly great Amp and run digital files to it via A Musical Fidelity V-DAC or a Cambridge Audio DacMagic (not really into buying CD's or CD Players for that matter) and a PC/Mac or just Zune/Ipod. Any of you heard One of the newer Rotel units or Anthem amps??

What Ive read so far is that mos of the Anthem sound very big spacially and are also very musical though not overly analytical. The reviews on the Rotel seem to be very positive also, very detailed and fluid and dynamic. What do you guys think I should go with??

P.S: I forgot to mention the Onkyo am currently using is an NR 708 only cost me bout $500 so its not anything top of the line but I dont think you can beat it fo the price.

SoundAddict89 said:
Thanks for the help guys, I know i definitely have to get out there and try to listen to some different amps problem is where I live (Am in he US btw) all of the shops only carry A/V receivers and I want to power the MAs with a similarly great Amp and run digital files to it via A Musical Fidelity V-DAC or a Cambridge Audio DacMagic (not really into buying CD's or CD Players for that matter) and a PC/Mac or just Zune/Ipod. Any of you heard One of the newer Rotel units or Anthem amps??

What Ive read so far is that mos of the Anthem sound very big spacially and are also very musical though not overly analytical. The reviews on the Rotel seem to be very positive also, very detailed and fluid and dynamic. What do you guys think I should go with??

P.S: I forgot to mention the Onkyo am currently using is an NR 708 only cost me bout $500 so its not anything top of the line but I dont think you can beat it fo the price.

Amps ideal for MAs: Creek, Roksan, Arcam, Nad, Audio Analogue, Marantz (possibly)...

Ones to avoid unless you have tolerant sources/room acoustics: Rotel, Cyrus, Primare, Leema, budget Cambridge, Naim...

A

Anonymous

Thanks Inter_Voice, that is some nice room treatment you got there, definitely didnt think it could affect frequency reponse that much :O.... back to topic my room is somewhat decent acoustically Its about 16x11 carpeted room and I have a couch placed about 7ft in front of them, speakers are about 8ft apart from each other and theres also a rug with a small cocktail table on it, however there are no curtains or room treatments in the room, yet. Am thinking maybe I need to move the speakers a litle more from the backwall as they are only about half a foot or so from it, however when I initially placed them i found that further separation lowered bass output significantly but then again that was prior to burn in. Am also using only 16 gauge copper wire to bi-amp them, not the best i know but thas all i had when i got the MAs. could that be the problem? thanks again.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Try towing in the speakers bit by bit as it can improve soundstaging but you need to be patient. From my experience bi-wiring seems to be not doing significient improvement to SQ and it is better to use the same money to buy a better speaker cable. Good speaker cable and interconnect can have certain improvement to the soundstaging due to better signal flow at different frequencies from your music.

A

Anonymous

The Limey said:
Hi Sound Addict, I am a bit confused by your post, I have heard the MA RX6's driven by a Marantz PM6003 and they sounded, well, stunning. Nothing wrong with the sound stage there.

Don't know man, maybe am spoiled because i came from pair of bipolars which sounded very 3 dimensional but not enough midrange presence for my taste.. I know some of you guys havent heard of Energy but I have some bookeshelves in my livingroom that I got for $350 new and tho not as detailed, they are very crisp, fun and the soundstage is definitely bigger than the RX6s...If only I could put these two together in a room for a night and have them mate, We would all have one hell of a Speaker!! I can only dream for now.

A

Anonymous

Inter_Voice said:
Try towing in the speakers bit by bit as it can improve soundstaging but you need to be patient. From my experience bi-wiring seems to be not doing significient improvement to SQ and it is better to use the same money to buy a better speaker cable. Good speaker cable and interconnect can have certain improvement to the soundstaging due to better signal flow at different frequencies from your music.

thanks again Inter_Voice, I will try that right now, the reason I Biamped them is that if connect the speaker wire on the bottom terminals i get base but no high frequency at all, almost like the the tweeter is off and not getting any current and the opposite happens if I connec them on top (no woofer movement or sound) and Ive already checked set up in the receiver is fine....am I missing something?? :~

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Amps ideal for MAs: Creek, Roksan, Arcam, Nad, Audio Analogue, Marantz (possibly)...

Ones to avoid unless you have tolerant sources/room acoustics: Rotel, Cyrus, Primare, Leema, budget Cambridge, Naim...

Thanks Plastic Penguin I just read he sterophile review of the Creek Destiny amp and it convinced this was the way to go, although at $2300 its almost the price of the speakers but its an integrated so it saves me money on the preamp front . But an Arcam FMJ A28 though has less power is temting at only $1000 however I like my music a little upfront and read somewhere that the Arcams tend to be a little laidback.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The Creek amp is also rather sweet sounding! You could get an old stock Destiny 1 as there's already a "2".

But before: try pulling the speakers from the backwall first, a lot (1 m). I heard many people have too much bass putting these speakers so close to the backwall as you did. I think you will haer more realistic bass instead of a lot.

SoundAddict89 said:
plastic penguin said:

Thanks Plastic Penguin I just read he sterophile review of the Creek Destiny amp and it convinced this was the way to go, although at $2300 its almost the price of the speakers but its an integrated so it saves me money on the preamp front . But an Arcam FMJ A28 though has less power is temting at only $1000 however I like my music a little upfront and read somewhere that the Arcams tend to be a little laidback.

Yes, you're right, Arcam can be laid back if poorly matched. Get it right and there's little better.

Do you listen to music that gives an instant impact or something you can live with over a long period? If it's the latter you'll be hard pushed to beat Arcam and MAs...

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
It seesm that the connecting metal plate (or bridge) between the high and low speaker inputs are not fitted in your speakers. For better results I suggest buying good quality bridging cables instead of using the supplied metal plates. You can find some good ones in e-Bay.

A

Anonymous

Thanks ear, I should have known that and i tried it at first but i guess the plates werent making good contact but since I wasnt using the other channels I thought why not Bi-Amp them. And thanks again Inter_Voice you've been really helpful brother, I will look into getting some better bridging plates.

Rethep you were absolutely right separating the speakers from the backwall gave me more real bass and while the soundestage is not as deep as id like it to be the MAs now sound more open and with more presence and I think this is how they are supposed to sound, I also think part of the sound is also onkyos presentation through them and Ive just read the review of the TX-NR609 and the NR808, my receiver the NR708 sits in between them, and seeing as both of them got 5 star reviews on here now am little more hesitant about upgrading it.

However any of you think running a DAC prior to receiver will improve the sound in a significant way???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts