Monitor Audio RX1 vs RX2

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Having recently purchased a pair of Monitor Audio RX1 and RX2 I can't decide which I prefer. I agree that neither of them are bright and the top end is easy on the ears. But between the 2 I get a slightly different sound. I find the RX2 to have the bigger soundstage but I just tried the RX1's and find them more detailed and to sound better at lower volumes. Does that make sense? Or are my ears playing up?

Mo

Splash

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a pair of RX2s and before buying them I also auditioned the RX1s. I prefered the RX2s but that's just my opinion. It's strange you say they don't sound good at low volume. To me this was one of their strengths.

It's worth pointing out that the RX2s need space to perform at their best. They need to be placed as you would large floorstanders otherwise the bass is very overpowering... but when they are properly placed they sing beautifully.

Mohsin

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Splash. After listening to both sets I think the RX1 has the more balanced sound. The RX2 have the bigger soundstage but they seem brighter almost as if the tweeter has been made louder to compensate for the much bigger mid bass driver. For me the RX1 still has more then enough bass but the midrange and top end sounds good and it's a comfortable listen.

I really wanted to prefer the sound on the RX2 as it's a lot more speaker for not a lot more money but I could see me getting fed up quickly and ending up upgrading again. Also I agree with some of the reviews I have read that the bass on the RX2 is a little loose and that's after trying it with the Marantz PM7200 and the Nad 326bee.

Mo

TRENDING THREADS