Monitor Audio RX1 placement problems

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've seen a few posts where people have sold their RX1's because of problems with the rear port. Is this a real problem with these speakers? What effect does it have on the sound if they are too close to the wall and how far away from the wall should they be? Is there a big difference in sound and quality between the RX1's and the BX2's?

A

Anonymous

I have RX2 and they are 30 cm from the wall and they sound superb.My room is 3m x 4m and have no problem with rear port and "boomy bass"

A

Anonymous

I have RX1 and they are 55 cm from the back wall...my room is aprox. 4x3 m... and to me this is the minimum distance required for a good sound with them
emotion-21.gif

in my case if they are closer than 55 cm to the wall bass becomes excessive with some recordings...(bass heavy recordings)

However I think there are also other things to consider when evaluating their sound, personal taste, stands (must be rigid), distance to side walls and also the amp (I have a NAD c315)

In my opinion, these speakers do need some care in their placement, they are not "fit and forget" speakers...but if you place them properly... they are absolutely amazing for the money and size, they sound like floorstanders...
emotion-1.gif

Also think the title of the topic is wrong... should be called

Monitor Audio RX1 placement advices

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I also own a pair of MA RX1 which are placed inside a wall cabinet. Initially I encountered a lot of boomy bass as the speakers were closed to the back wall (less than a foot) and inside a semi-enclosed compartment. With the port hole plugs inserted the boomy bass were greatly reduced but it also reduced a lot of sound stage. I also tried inserting foam microphone wind shields as port hole plugs which were thinner than the supplied ones. The effect was found to be better and more acceptable but I still prefer not to use port hole plugs at all to take advantage of the speakers' original music output characteristics.

Ultimately I bought 2 bass traps (1ftX1ftx3ft) as well as a 3ftx3ft acoustic tiles from e-Bay and put them behind the 2 speakers. The boomy sound has completely disappeared and the bass is very firm and solid without any boomy feel. I used Room EQ Wizard to check the frequency response of the room and found that the frequency decay time (RT60) of 80Hz and below is around 500-600mS which is quite acceptable. RT60 for 80-20KHz is around 300-350mS.

In conclusion I am of the view that MA RX1 is a very good pair of speakers if you know how to handle them correctly.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
After receiving some advice from other forum members I purchased these speakers to use with my Marantz M-CR603 CD receiver. I received the speakers yesterday and am very pleased with them. The sound quality is very good indeed and although they are only approx 11cm from a back wall there is to my ears no bass boom. The bass is very clear and punchy, also in the short time I have had the speakers they have improved in clarity so much I feel that they are almost run in already. The whole system sounds great to me and I am very pleased with my purchases.I would like to thank the forum members for their good advice and Sevenoaks, Kingston for their good service.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Coll said:
After receiving some advice from other forum members I purchased these speakers to use with my Marantz M-CR603 CD receiver. I received the speakers yesterday and am very pleased with them. The sound quality is very good indeed and although they are only approx 11cm from a back wall there is to my ears no bass boom. The bass is very clear and punchy, also in the short time I have had the speakers they have improved in clarity so much I feel that they are almost run in already. The whole system sounds great to me and I am very pleased with my purchases.I would like to thank the forum members for their good advice and Sevenoaks, Kingston for their good service.

Nice to hear that you love the SQ of your RX1 and you will find the SQ improves over time of usage. Though I also love my RX1 fortunately I got some budget and is now thinking of speaker upgrading. Certainly GX 100 is on my list but I need to have audition before I make my decision as the cost of this newly launch speakers is three times more than RX1.

manicm

In any event, here's the specs of the GX50, note the minimum power requirements:

System Format:2 WayFrequency Response:55 Hz - 60 kHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M):86 dBNominal Impedance:
8 ohmsMaximum S.P.L
(Per pair in room):109.8 dBA
Power Handling (RMS):100 WRecommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS):50 - 100 WBass Alignment:Bass reflex. HiVe port system
Crossover Frequency:2.3 kHzDrive Unit Compliment:1 x 5.5" RST bass/mid-range driver
1 x C-CAM H.F ribbon transducer
External Dimensions excl Stand (H x W x D)
300 x 170 x 263 mm
(11 13/16 x 6 11/16 x 10 3/8 inch)Weight (each) Excluding stands:7.5 Kg (16.5 lbs)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:
In any event, here's the specs of the GX50, note the minimum power requirements:

System Format:2 WayFrequency Response:55 Hz - 60 kHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M):86 dBNominal Impedance:
8 ohmsMaximum S.P.L
(Per pair in room):109.8 dBA
Power Handling (RMS):100 WRecommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS):50 - 100 WBass Alignment:Bass reflex. HiVe port system
Crossover Frequency:2.3 kHzDrive Unit Compliment:1 x 5.5" RST bass/mid-range driver
1 x C-CAM H.F ribbon transducer
External Dimensions excl Stand (H x W x D)
300 x 170 x 263 mm
(11 13/16 x 6 11/16 x 10 3/8 inch)Weight (each) Excluding stands:7.5 Kg (16.5 lbs)

The sensitivity of GX-50 is not too low (86dB) and it can be driven by a relatively small amplifier without too much difficulties. I prefer GX-100 to take advantage of its better bass performance. So far I cannot find a shop with GX 100 near to my home for an audition. Hope someone here can provide some audition experience and comments.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
cstanwhf said:
I just received my GX100. Running in now. Your local shops should be receiving them soon.

As a matter of interest what is your initial impression and comment on this new speaker? What is your hifi combination, CDP and amplifier etc.? May be it is better to create a new topic on performance of GX-100 to attract more views and discussions.

PS: I have created a new Topic "Performance of MA Speaker GX-100" for further comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts