Monitor Audio RS6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

chainrock:

Last night I tried New Order, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Metallica, Way out West, Sasha, Aerosmith, Coldplay, some hip-hop, and many more - no evidence of what you described. I have tiled floors with a medium-sized rug in the middle.

You've proved my point exactly!

A

Anonymous

This is bordering on sounding very patronising, you don't like the speakers and have explained why but to then argue with people who do like them that they don't understand "true hi fi" is stepping directly on that line.

"You've proved my point exactly" being an example of this, in fact I see this quite often (in the general sense) it's nothing more than you are wrong and i am right and as you listen to that kind of music, then you don't listen to "real music" and so can't understand.

Give me a break

A

Anonymous

Apologies if my post could be interpreted as derogatory.

I do feel though that recordings of real instruments should be used when assessing loudspeakers though. There is no absolute reference in IDM.

A

Anonymous

Since when guitars and drums are not considered real instruments?! Not all of us buy hi-fi to listen to classical music (which i do just not often). Anyways, this is a moot argument and not really helpful to OP.

vinod_david:So, which is better Mezzo 6, RS6, or Mezzo 2 ? I see the normal RS6 haters, no matter what, they hate it. And those who like them. Now, they are saying RS6 is good for only movie sound, where did they learn it from ?

Definitely RS6 - they have a more rounded character. Before anyone starts squawking about my claims, indeed the RS6's are a bit more temperamental than other makes and need a bit of care when matching - especially a CDP, but get it right and they'll sing better than a well groomed choir.

Best matched with Arcam, Nad, Roksan Kandy LIII*, Cyrus*, Creek, Rotel, Exposure and Primare.

*Denotes matched with sympathetic CD Players, like Arcam, Exposure or Nad.

This info is based on home testing with these makes [and of course, my lugholes].

A

Anonymous

IMO HAd a set of Mezzo 2's for a month , delicious fantastic silky treble but bass was a bit hard to control and lacked character , great boxes for the bread though , Heard the older version of the RS6 the S6 , good fun speaker , impressive but not sure i'd like to listen to it for a few hours , a little hard on the ears. Not sure bout metal dome tweeters.

Could have been the pairing i heard them with though , NAD amp and CA playerÿ

A

Anonymous

oh nearly forgot , if you cant demo (which you really should) Id say go for the Mezzo 6''sÿ

A

Anonymous

I have recently bought a pair of RS6 from a local dealer (after initially comparing them with Mission m34i) on NAD combination(C542/C325BEE/Supra EFF-I interconnect).

To me something is wrong with the sound.Too much emphasis on mid frequencies (around 2-5 KHz),bloated bass when positioned near the wall,not enough when distanced and not too much sparkle on high frequencies.

I suspect also that all above descibed problems have something to do with the NAD configuration because I get the same fatiguing and strident sound when I listen thru my HD650 headphones(well known to have a laid back character and excellent musicality).

I have hard time to decide if I should exchange RS6 with the Mission speakers (huge soundstage,relaxed sound but bloated bass for my tastes) or simply look for another source.amplification.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
So's to me like the RS6 is too neutral for your tastes. If I were you, I'd go look at the B&W CM5 or CM7. The CM7 has bags of high end "sparkle". Also, plenty of bass when positioned out from walls.

A

Anonymous

With regard to 'the sparkle at high frequencies' try removing the metal guards on the tweeters.
I find it makes them sound more natural, they simply flick off if you use a pin to pull them from the magnetic surface.

Think the RS series is a lot of speaker for the money, the compromise to keep costs down in my view has been on the 'in house' components on the crossover units. Upgrade them and you jump straight into Platinum territory.

Oh and improve your mains feed to your amp, and notice the difference!

Speakers are very subjective to the listener so it doesn't surprise me the differing views posted. If you end up with a system that pleases your ears that's all that counts IMHO

A

Anonymous

Thanks both for your answers.

I could live with the neutral sound of the RS6 but I can`t explain why so much emphasis on mids.

I was listening to Robbie Williams "Swing when you are..." and I couldn`t stand the stridence of the trumpets.Same thing with Diana Krall,..etc.A friend of mine,who listend on my previous equipament (Marantz receiver SR4600 + .....don`t laugh ..JAMO S408) told me that in my actual system the sound seems to be at high volume even at low levels(same perception on the medium freq.)

Should I pass to a Marantz amp in order to have the sound that I was used to (warm and laid back)?

I understand that mission 34i isn`t in the same league with MA RS6,am I right?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
kerio:
Thanks both for your answers.

I could live with the neutral sound of the RS6 but I can`t explain why so much emphasis on mids.

I was listening to Robbie Williams "Swing when you are..." and I couldn`t stand the stridence of the trumpets.Same thing with Diana Krall,..etc.A friend of mine,who listend on my previous equipament (Marantz receiver SR4600 + .....don`t laugh ..JAMO S408) told me that in my actual system the sound seems to be at high volume even at low levels(same perception on the medium freq.)

Should I pass to a Marantz amp in order to have the sound that I was used to (warm and laid back)?

I understand that mission 34i isn`t in the same league with MA RS6,am I right?

Must be your amp. I listened to Diana Krall at the weekend - liquid smooth.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails: Must be your amp. I listened to Diana Krall at the weekend - liquid smooth.

Ha! Was listening to Diana Krall last night myself - smooth here too! (with Marantz amp). I don't find overblown mids. Initially i thought the combo was a touch bright but now I actually find it warm after breaking-in.

A

Anonymous

I understand people not liking their sound. Maybe those are HI-FI experts used to the sound of much better (expensive speakers). But for those just talking about flaws on their sound...
emotion-16.gif

For sure you should try them before buying and consider other options in the same price range.

And don't forget that the spekers we are talking about have been top rated in mags arround the world. I don't understand why they should be as bad as some say. I definitely trust this before any other guy personal opinion in any forum:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/index.html

A

Anonymous

Yes guys,you have right!

Diana Krall albums are very well recorded!

I know this because I listened many times on my headphone rig:HD650/Meier Opera/ASUS Xonar D2X and the clarity and production is amazing on her albums.

What would be your suggestions for an smooth,warm and laid back amp,other than Marantz?

Again ,any experiences with Mission m34i?

A

Anonymous

The sound you are describing fits to a T of a poor mains supply, and not your equipment.

I would start by making improvements to it before I went out and bought any replacements to the kit.
Also take another look at speaker positioning and soft furnishings to the room.

Careful setting up, adjustments and accessories make a huge difference to obtaining that lovely sweet spot in the music that we all look for.

A

Anonymous

Sorry Trevor,I didn`t understand what you wanted to say!

Do I need a power/line conditioner ?

Does these things affect so much the sound?

I mean ,yes I agree that improves clarity,stereo separation,but .....emphasis on mid frequencies.....?

A

Anonymous

Monitor Audio RS series has an awful metal tweeter.

Buying a mains cable isn't going to change that!

IMO Trevor is a tweaker and gives some duff advise, telling people to fiddle with mains when the loudspeakers are the worst part and so obviously at fault!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
smo:
I understand people not liking their sound. Maybe those are HI-FI experts used to the sound of much better (expensive speakers). But for those just talking about flaws on their sound...
emotion-16.gif

For sure you should try them before buying and consider other options in the same price range.

And don't forget that the spekers we are talking about have been top rated in mags arround the world. I don't understand why they should be as bad as some say. I definitely trust this before any other guy personal opinion in any forum:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/index.html

A big part of the problem in HiFi is that people can't accept that not everyone hears the same and appreciates the same products. So their favourite speaker in a particular price category must be the best speaker in that category, and anyone who thinks otherwise has either never heard their speaker or isn't really into HiFi etc etc etc...

The Monitor Audio RS6 are arguably the most critically acclaimed towers in their price range (globally), but that doesn't mean everyone will like them. There's nothing wrong with someone stating that they don't like them, but it's really foolish to claim that they are bad speakers (just because the person doesn't like them)... I've heard/owned many critically acclaimed products (including NAD, Dynaudio, Arcam & Totem) that I thought sounded dreadful, but I'd be a complete fool to claim that they are bad products/brands just because I didn't appreciate their sound...

Arguing about which brand is better is like arguing about whether Red is better than Blue....

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:

IMO Trevor is a tweaker and gives some duff advise, telling people to fiddle with mains when the loudspeakers are the worst part and so obviously at fault!

Oh Edward, I didn't realise you had such extensive experience to arrive at such a clear conclusion.

I can see by your equipment list (Not) and by your really helpful posts that I must take stock of your wise words.

Yes the RS6/8 do have metal tweeters and if uses find them too aggressive with there system removing the dome metal guard (as I have previously posted) does smooth them down.
Also if the Bass is too big Monitor Audio supply foam plugs to put into the ports. Tweaking?

I'm sure Russ Andrews and many other knowledgeable people/uses are aware 1st hand of the effectiveness of various mains products and cables.

More info perhaps about the speaker cables used might be a guide to why they are sounding as they are perhaps.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:

He may be totally wrong about everything but he is very entertaining and hugely funny. I'm a big fan of fantasy stories.

A

Anonymous

Trevor,

It is quite apparent that the poster doesn't like RS6s, so he would be better changing to a pair of loudspeakers that he does like, rather than fiddling with mains cables.

Some people love RS6s and some hate them. I'll leave it at that.

A

Anonymous

I don`t think that RS6 is a bad speaker at all!

My intention was only to ask for your advices in order to see what is wrong with my configuration.I didn`t want to spread any confussion!

Like I said,my first suspect is the C325 amplifier! My previous receiver(SR4600) was clearly in an inferior class but had warmth and was more musical to my ear,on my previous speakers and HD650.I know that Sennheiser changed the HD650 to a brighter version(from 2007 forward) but,on C325 BEE,these headphones sound like a Grado SR325i (less bass,very bright and plenty of mids)

manicm

Eddie Pound:

Trevor,

It is quite apparent that the poster doesn't like RS6s, so he would be better changing to a pair of loudspeakers that he does like, rather than fiddling with mains cables.

Some people love RS6s and some hate them. I'll leave it at that.

Eddie, WHF's own review of the RS6 suggests removing its tweeter grills, so singling Trevor out is a bit unfair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts