Monitor audio R270HD Speakers.

Slang5571

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, my current cinema surround system consists of: Denon AVR X2000 receiver, with Monitor Audio R90HD10 Speaker system. My question is I am considering buying a pair of Monitor Audio R270 HD floor standing speakers. Would these speakers go well with my set up ?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Would they go well? Technically yes. They use exactly the same drivers as the R90HD's, so panning effects front to back and left to right will voice extremely well, and surround music will sound excellent too. (A good example is a recent purchase of two classical Bluray Audios (Naxos' Copland Rodeo and Rachmaninov Piano Concertos 2&3) which sound truly stunning and give evidence of how accomplished the Radius speakers are when fed well).

However they are very different speakers and will affect the overall balance and feel of your system. I originally had the Radius One HD for the front three channels, which was essentially two R90HD's and an R180HD in one cabinet, not too dissimilar to your current system. I traded up to the R270HD for left and right with R250HD centre, so my comments are based on this change.

The R90HD's are lightning fast, but can be a little lean in the midrange, even with subwoofer sharing the frequency range. The R270HD has a much more fullsome weighty midrange and upper bass. The upper bass is very impressive for such compact floorstanders. They're not perfect though. They have strengths the R90HD's don't have, but they trade in some of their strengths too.

Downsides;

The R270HD's are much more finicky with speaker placement. The closest to the back wall I could get them without the bass becoming boomy was 450mm, and that's bunging the rear ports slightly too. They'd prefer even more free space, but the room doesn't allow. There is a smidgen of cabinet resonance that's not there on the R90HD's; it's only noticeable with certain frequencies. Like the rest of the range, I find them very 'directional' speakers, so don't spread the soundstage very wide. The upside of that of course is that steering effects are very accurately placed.

Advantages;

If you choose to play any 2 channel sources in 'pure direct', they are much more capable of course than the R90HD's on their own. I particularly find this with two channel TV sources, although the small soundstage / directional behaviour caveat applies here too. And the midrange can sound drop-dead gorgeous if fed the right stuff. Vocals really sound lovely; Corinne Bailey Rae, Lianne La Havas, Mayra Andrade, the Staves all sound as wonderful as their honeyed voices should.

So on balance, I'm pleased I made the trade-up. They make my whole system more flexible, and for the more musical movie soundtracks (such as 'Invincible' which has a beautiful array of 70's classics), it's a far more accomplished performance. Just make sure your room can make sufficient space for them and don't pay more than £400!

(PS, there are pretty good clearance offers at Peter Tyson at the mo)

Slang5571

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Leeps, thanks very much for the very detailed information on the R270, much ap :) preciated. I was looking at definitely investing in the R270.

Slang5571

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Leeps, I think It's a fantastic set up, but I do think the R90 at the front lack a bit of weight and authority. The treble can get a little over excited at higher volumes too. I watch a lot of bluray movies, but I also like listening to my music. That's why I'm considering purchasing a pair of R270 speakers. I'm new to the home cinema world, I use to be really into my hi-Di equipment. I thought if I go down the cinema route a maybe could get the best of both world's. Lol.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok. The R270HD's will add the weight & authority you're looking for, but the treble will be identical, so if to your ears the treble isn't right for you now, the R270HD's wont solve it.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I would look at replacing your centre speaker too - this is probably the most important speaker in your set up - 270HD should work well if you can partner them with a Silver or RS centre. This should give you more weight and soundstage to your system.

Slang5571

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi grdunn, thanks for the info. I was considering replacing the front speakers first then the centre speaker at a later date. I've owned the Monitor Audio RX6 Speakers in the past, they was superb speakers, regretted selling them. :-( thankyou for the information both you guys have given me, much appreciated :)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Slang

You may be interested in an experiment I carried out today. I've had some spare Radius R90HD's for a while now. I was originally going to use them as front-height speakers, but went off the idea. And as I knew i'd be moving house in the foreseeable future I thought I'd keep them, either for a possible 7.1 set-up or even zone 2 speakers in the future.

Anyway, as I'd never listened to an all-R90HD system, my curiosity got the better of me, so I used all my Radius R90HD's today in a 5.1 arrangement, mainly to compare with the R270HD's.

I listened to a variety of music. Initially the obvious advantages of small speakers (their speed and attack) made most musical experiences more 'in your face'. Initially the 'look at me' dynamism seemed pretty impressive. But after a while it felt like having a cocker spaniel in the room...you just wanted it to calm down and stop demanding your undivided attention. One of my criticisms of the R270HD is the slight cabinet resonance, but curiously I seemed to detect a not dissimilar 'singing' from the Radius stands that the R90HD's were attached to. (I do wonder if it's the floor rather than the speakers that are responsible).

The main difference however and the overriding argument in favour of the R270HD's was the apparent hole in the R90's midrange. Compared to the sound I've grown used to with the 270's, a fair chunk of sound just seems to have gone AWOL. Voices especially sound comparatively nasal and tinny on the R90HD's compared to the more full-bodied breathy nature of the 270's; electronica pulsy beats show the same discrepancy. This remains true even with the sub engaged; the R90HD's seem unable to hand over to the sub seamlessly. The 270's more consistent representation of the entire frequency range makes for a far less fatiguing sound, so although it proved an interesting experiment, I'll be glad to swap the speakers back tomorrow. On balance, I'm glad I went for the R270HD's.

However an interesting alternative which could match well tonally (due to the same tweeters being used) would be a pair of Apex A10's. Although the cost of the Apex stands would make this option a little more expensive than the Radius.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think you can tell them though that you have put it up for sale on AVForums though. Then you just go to the forums classifieds and find it.

Slang5571

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Leeps, thanks for the post. I'm inclined to agree with you on the sound of the R90's, to my ears they just don't convey voices very well. Yes they are lightning fast. But they do become rather tiring after listening to them for a while. I have managed to find a hifi dealer not to far away from me, who has a pair of Radious 270 for sale BNIB. I will be going to buy them next month. Piano Gloss Black which is a relief as the rest of my set up is Piano Gloss Black :) once again thanks for all your help and insight. Regards Mark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts