Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 best speaker under £3k?

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
A friend asked me for some advice on speakers up to £3k. Naturally I tried lots before I myself went for the Monitor Audio Platinum Pl100 (standmount) to go with a Chord Electronics Integrated (CPM2650) and Meridian G08. I'm very happy with the results. I lent my friend my PL100's to go with his Cyrus set up and he was very impressed and wants to get a pair.

I found this link which seems like a good deal: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=39393&forum_id=5 for an 8 month old pair in ebony including dedicated MA stands with the rest of the 3 year warranty for £1850.

Although my friend is very impressed with these and wants to act before the second hand pair above are bought by someone else, should he be considering anything else at this price point? We've looked at the benesch arc, sonus faber (now very expensive because of the euro), Pro ac to name but a few. he, like me, is keen on second hand.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Are the D15's the floorstanders that have been replaced by the D18's? I did think the D15's and 18's were good but a little muffled in comparison to the PL100.

Hi Hi Fi D

Please also consider ATC's SCM40. They should work well as over the last few years i have sold these (and other ATC's) to users of Chord Electronics, Meridian, Cyrus etc.

With their stunning and massively built drive units (the state of the art soft dome mid range unit in particular) and low distortion helps give the 40's a neutral, uncoloured, powerful and natural presentation. This in turn will enable the presenatation of the Cyrus to breathe.

http://www.atc.gb.net/scm40.htm

http://www.atc.gb.net/studioDriveUnits.htm

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions. I have heard a few ATC speakers and found them a little edgy for my taste. The PL100 is transparent without an apparent hard edge or brightness.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like you're pretty set on the PL100's - the only other speaker I can recommend under £3k, which I personally feel sounds better from A/B demos, is the KEF Reference 201/2's. How they sound will really depend on the amplification used.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
No expert here, but maybe you want to have a listen to the Usher Be-718's, totally transformed my system and well within your budget. Music has becolme a joy to listen to.

A

Anonymous

Just heard these at my local dealer - got to be one of the worst speakers I have heard in ages - completely out of time , lumpy bass and very odd treble , looks very bling bling , Proac D18's a very musical speaker , certainly not muffled.- did also try with various electronics Naim and Chord Electronics.

A

Anonymous

living voice - which dealer?

Lets not forget dealer demos vary massively. I demoed the PL300s at Sevenoaks in Manchester - and found the speaker had NO plus points at ALL!! The demo was awful. I expressed my opinion to the team and all they said was that it was down to the room. IMO the speakers were actually out of phase but they took no notice of my suggestions of checking the terminals. I went to another dealer to Demo the PL300s & Wilson Bensch Torus. And the PL300s on a 'lesser' system than mine simply blew me away. Into another level of a hifi dream they took me. The vocals were exceptional and he was using Chord Odessey Cable. I was astonished to say the least.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
livingvoice:Just heard these at my local dealer - got to be one of the worst speakers I have heard in ages - completely out of time , lumpy bass and very odd treble , looks very bling bling , Proac D18's a very musical speaker , certainly not muffled.- did also try with various electronics Naim and Chord Electronics.

not sure why - they are fantastic speakers - what were you listening to? They are very honest speakers and very unforgiving of bad recordings and show up bad mixes very quickly!!!

not sure where you got lumpy bass from - they are def not the deepest of speakers but i have never heard bass so tighly controlled and detailed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts