Monitor Audio PL300 Or Paradigm Reference Signature S8 Version3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

im dying to upgrade which do you thin is the better performer, i know this is a too each his own kind of question. But im looking a performance.

I have asked around and the S8's was what i was tolis the better performer out of the two. im hoping i get a rsponse from the staff of what if hi fi.

Thanks al

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

My current system as follows

Monitor Audio RS8'S
Monitor Audio RSLCR
Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
Samung TV
APC AV 1.5 kVA H Type Power Conditioner 120V

I use my speakers for audio 2 channel and hometheatre for movies 70% movies 30% music, i wll also be changing my receiver i think and i will getting new amps as well all from anthem line most likly two P5's one for each speaker and the D2v processor if i have to change from my current receiver.

then this will be my last ugrade for a loooooonglong time or the wifewill kill me lol

A

Anonymous

Wow! At this level, you will be very happy with either.

I have listened to both, and personally, I prefer the Monitor Audio PL300.

The PL300 sounds a little more laidback than the S8; not that the S8 sounds brash or harsh or anything; just that the PL300 sounds slightly more laidback and has an overall sonic signature that I prefer.

However, an audition of both is a must, especially at this elevated price-range. It all comes down to personal preference.

All the Best with your auditioning.

The Anthem D2v and P5 would power either speakers very nicely.

Dan.

Hi whasaaaab

Thanks for your reply.

I have not heard the Paradigm speakers so unfortunately i can't help you with these. I use Monitor Audio's PL300AV/PL200AV speakers which are mostly used with Chord Electronics reference DSP8000 AV processor and SPM3005 power amplifier. Source components are Yamaha's BD-S1900 Blu ray player or Chord Electronics Media engine. Needless to say the Platinum speakers sound stunning with two channel/multi channel music and movie soundtracks.
emotion-2.gif
Fwiw i feel the Platinums (whilst still a lot of money) offer excellent VFM.
emotion-1.gif

I hate to state the obvious but try and have a listen to both sets of the speakers and ideally with the Anthem amps.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I have but at different times, im also interested in cantons vento 890 and there reference 3.2. How would you compare those two with the MA and the paradigms

A

Anonymous

Thanks man also have you heard the canton vento 890s's or the 3.2 and 2.2 reference?

A

Anonymous

The Cantons are strictly neutral, well balanced in the way that few other speakers are. That's for music, anyway, no idea how they'd be for home cinema.

If you don't listen to much music I wouldn't get them since it would be a waste. They also need top-quality electronics and I'm not sure AV gear is of sufficient quality.

A

Anonymous

For what it is worth, I have settled for MA PL300 5.1 setup and would offer some advice. I use it for both music and HT, but after much experimenting found that multi channel receivers could not do the justice for music, so I added Balanced Audio Technology pre and power amps to receiver's pre-outs. In my setup music is played through a pair of PL300, without any use of HT equipment. I know that your planned HT gear is excellent, but would recommend that you consider a similar strategy, which can be implemented over a certain period of time. In addition, in my experience PL 300 have a lot of bass and need space to work well. I experimented and found that 70-80cm or more from the back and side walls is required. If you do not have this space, you will be in trouble. Platinum speakers are also extremely detailed and clean in the upper frequencies, several steps above lower MA models (Silvers, Golds) that I lived with during the past decade. They are in a different league.

A

Anonymous

zelkop:For what it is worth, I have settled for MA PL300 5.1 setup and would offer some advice. I use it for both music and HT, but after much experimenting found that multi channel receivers could not do the justice for music, so I added Balanced Audio Technology pre and power amps to receiver's pre-outs. In my setup music is played through a pair of PL300, without any use of HT equipment. I know that your planned HT gear is excellent, but would recommend that you consider a similar strategy, which can be implemented over a certain period of time. In addition, in my experience PL 300 have a lot of bass and need space to work well. I experimented and found that 70-80cm or more from the back and side walls is required. If you do not have this space, you will be in trouble. Platinum speakers are also extremely detailed and clean in the upper frequencies, several steps above lower MA models (Silvers, Golds) that I lived with during the past decade. They are in a different league.

Thanks for the info i wonder if they will upgrade the platinums too. has anyone heard the totem wind? if so any comments for comparisons

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts