Monitor audio gs20 amp advice

ShayneColbert

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

i have just bought myself a second hand pair of monitor audio gs20s which I have been wanting for a while.

I currently have them paired with a nad 525bee cd player and nad c370 amp. Ive decided ive had enough of cds so was planning on getting a rega dac as I have heard they have a warm sound which should be a good match.

I have a pretty warm room as I put thick black fabric up on all the walls and ceiling to help with my projectors contrast. So all in all it sounds pretty good but I want to get an amp to match their level.

I was thinking of possibly getting a musical fidelity a3.5 or maybe a308 if one ever pops up on ebay. Or i could just upgrade my nad with a better preamp as I have heard thats what lets that amp down.

Im going to have to buy blind as going second hand but can always sell on if I don't like what I buy. I was looking at spending 600-800 quid second hand but would spend more if it was considered worth my while.

What would everyone else reccomend as a good match for my setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

ShayneColbert said:
Hi,

i have just bought myself a second hand pair of monitor audio gs20s which I have been wanting for a while.

I currently have them paired with a nad 525bee cd player and nad c370 amp. Ive decided ive had enough of cds so was planning on getting a rega dac as I have heard they have a warm sound which should be a good match.

I have a pretty warm room as I put thick black fabric up on all the walls and ceiling to help with my projectors contrast. So all in all it sounds pretty good but I want to get an amp to match their level.

I was thinking of possibly getting a musical fidelity a3.5 or maybe a308 if one ever pops up on ebay. Or i could just upgrade my nad with a better preamp as I have heard thats what lets that amp down.

Im going to have to buy blind as going second hand but can always sell on if I don't like what I buy. I was looking at spending 600-800 quid second hand but would spend more if it was considered worth my while.

What would everyone else reccomend as a good match for my setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

Welcome to the forum. I assume you are in the UK? Personally I'd get on ebay and look for Primare amps (I happen to notice there are two A30.1's on there at the moment and they, currently, are within your budget.

I have had Primare kit in the past and really rate them for sound and build quality.

ShayneColbert

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeh i was thinking of getting a primare maybe. The guy i bought my speakers from had an i30. Then again theres a musical fidelity tri vista 300 on ebay atm and my mate said he lemd me half the money so im getting tempted. Would this be completly overkill or would it be worth it?

ShayneColbert said:
Yeh i was thinking of getting a primare maybe. The guy i bought my speakers from had an i30. Then again theres a musical fidelity tri vista 300 on ebay atm and my mate said he lemd me half the money so im getting tempted. Would this be completly overkill or would it be worth it?

Nice, but probably overkill, and you have those valves to contend with. Make sure you can get replacements.

ShayneColbert said:
Ok thanks for that I didnt realise it had valves in it. I have enough trouble with the valves in my guitar amps so think Ill pass on that one then.

Hence the 'Tri Vista' a.k.a. Raytheon 5703 I believe. There are four but they appear to be cheap at around $10. Supposedly they don't fail though ..................... ;-)

ShayneColbert

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Well a primare i30 popped up on ebay so I went and got that. I also bought a rega DAC for my source streaming music from tidal and its sound pretty great.

Just one more question though. The primare is 100 watts into 8 ohms and 180 watts into 4 ohms. My speakers are 6 ohms so I'm guessing they should get around 140 watts from the amp and are rated at 150watts so should be pretty well covered.

However, as a possible upgrade route I was thinking of adding a primare a30.2 power amp to either bi amp the speakers or have a pre/power combo.

Is this likely to make much of a noticible difference to sound quality or is it likely a waste of money given the current power output is only 10watts below the speakers recommended rating.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ShayneColbert said:
Well a primare i30 popped up on ebay so I went and got that. I also bought a rega DAC for my source streaming music from tidal and its sound pretty great.

Just one more question though. The primare is 100 watts into 8 ohms and 180 watts into 4 ohms. My speakers are 6 ohms so I'm guessing they should get around 140 watts from the amp and are rated at 150watts so should be pretty well covered.

However, as a possible upgrade route I was thinking of adding a primare a30.2 power amp to either bi amp the speakers or have a pre/power combo.

Is this likely to make much of a noticible difference to sound quality or is it likely a waste of money given the current power output is only 10watts below the speakers recommended rating.

Well done on your purchase.
In my opinion, dont waste your money on a power amp the power of your amp is enough.
Save money for music now and enjoy.
the most effective or sound changing upgrade will be speakers.

insider9

Great choice of an amp. Al was also the one to suggest I go with Primare and it's great. Thanks again Al.

In regards to bi-amping it is my understanding that running 2 amps will not have an increase in power output (2x100W will not be 200W). It may improve other sonic characteristics though.

Second point would be that according to specs MA advises amps between 40-150W. I30 is more than enough to drive your speakers and many other with authority. I wouldn't look to match speaker RMS and amp output.

insider9 said:
Great choice of an amp. Al was also the one to suggest I go with Primare and it's great. Thanks again Al.

In regards to bi-amping it is my understanding that running 2 amps will not have an increase in power output (2x100W will not be 200W). It may improve other sonic characteristics though.

Second point would be that according to specs MA advises amps between 40-150W. I30 is more than enough to drive your speakers and many other with authority. I wouldn't look to match speaker RMS and amp output.

I might also add that bi-amping with an integrated and power amp is not the best or cost-effective way to go. I'd stick to enjoying the integrated and spend money on music.

If you wish to upgrade later sell the integrated and buy a proper Pre / Power combo or even two mono power amps. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts