Monitor Audio for classical music?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm thinking of auditioning Monitor Audio RS6. How does it sound with classical music in a small room? The dealer is more than an hour away, so if it's not recommended here for my purpose I won't bother. My amplification is Rega Mira 3.

A

Anonymous

Haven't heard it with your amp, but I preferred them with the Cyrus and Primare kit I auditioned to the B&W 684s. The sound was more open, and (to me) faithful to the original, whereas the B&Ws muddied the water somewhat, especially with piano music which sounded a little dulled and bass heavy. Not as good as the B&W 683s though, but then they are another £300 over the RS6 pair.

For the money I think the consensus is that they're some of the best speakers out there, and certainly suit my listening habits (99% classical music).

ALTANPSX

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
RS6s are very good speaker. Very clear midrange, but stage is not wide enough for me. If your planing to listen classical music, it could be important. Listen before you buy.

A

Anonymous

The totem Arro, for all it's foibles. Is basically made for classical music. The imaging is quite stunning, and soundstage very alive. It falls on it's face with rock'n'roll, but that's never been totem's thing to begin with. I'd audition it if you can.

A

Anonymous

oh no, try something like Opera, Sonus Faber, Spendor, something natural sounding and real.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I heard the RS6 with Arcam amplification and it sounded wonderful with Jazz and Classical music. They didn't sound too bright at all - as some people claim they do with certain amplifiers. I don't know if the Rega Mira has the reputation of being bright though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
silly:oh no, try something like Opera, Sonus Faber, Spendor, something natural sounding and real.

That's exactly how my RS6s sound! Very accurate indeed. I don't listen to classical but piano sounds gorgeous on my set up.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm reaching the end of the my upgrade road, and those of you who know me through other discussions know that I've auditioned many speakers in the $1000 range. I have my eye on a pair of Rega R3's but still unsure if the bass will be enough for my room.

ffiish, how big is your room? ÿThe port configuration on the RS6's resembles that of my Acoustic Energy AE3's which I find too boomy in my room. Do you find the bass ok?

raypalmer, I've auditioned the Totem Arro's and loved them. I just couldn't get over their unstable footprint and cheap plinth solution. I'm still considering them though.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
In a small room I believe that the Rega R3 will sound excellent. Maybe you could try to find a cheaper ex-demo model because there is a new RS-range coming.

T

the record spot

Never heard them, but I hear that the Revolver RW45s circa £800 (but likely on a deal now their new range is out) would be worth a listen if you can get near them enough to organise a demo.

A

Anonymous

with your amp the rega r3 or 5 will blow the rs6s out of the water. Easy decision.

A

Anonymous

For your music taste the R3 and Arro are a tough call. If the R5 comes into the equation however, it's a clear winner.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I guess a venture into Monitor Audio wouldn't be worth the drive. It's gonna be either Rega or Totem.

Raypalmer, how do you like the Rainmakers? Do they have enough bass extension? How low they go is much more important for me than how loud the bass will play.

A

Anonymous

I agree.

Haven't tried the Totems or RS6 but much preferred the R3 to RS1's and 685's. Not a fan of classical but they seem to work well with most styles of music and they have plenty of bass for my needs. You should definitely try and get a home demo to see if they work for you.

A

Anonymous

Ah but the RS1 and 685's aren't on the same level as the regas. To me the Totem is, for classical, probably the better buy. Even with the wimpy plinths.

Oh and the Rainmakers go down to 42Hz. Easily. Mine feel very roomy in the bass deptartment for floorstanders. If you want something smaller and a mite cheaper the Rainmakers are worth a listen.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't listen to classical often but I assume the same criteria for good speakers apply here as elsewhere. I find MA's silver range excels in looks more than anything else and listening to them kind of confirms it (to me and imo only as always). Unrefined tweeter which will come in handy for string quartets and mushy sounding mids and bass, fantastic for those moments when you want to know where exactly that section of orchestra is, not quality. Totems sound good but their usp is to appear larger than they are and mostly, they succeed. But as Ray said, the smaller coned ones are no good for higher volume and can quickly sound compressed. Expensive too. The B&W's sound boring at lower volumes and I find their CM1 a nicer speaker to listen to. Looks a lot smarter too and worth a try as they sound full and clear, probably a good match for the mira. Apart from the Rega's mentioned, which I like, you could also try Usher S520, a nicely balanced gorgeous standmount (comes in great gloss colours such as ferrary red, yellow, black, white as well as more conventional finishes) with surprisingly good bass. Sounded good with Rega. Lastly and they surprised me, Kef's iQ7. A good looking floorstander with no boom whatsoever. Sounds lovely and open too but you may need a small sub if your after bass you can feel. Other than that it sounds like a high quality bookshelf without the associated cost for a stand. Available for under 300 quid now.

matthewpiano

Or the about £250 I find my MS 914i floorstanders work superbly well with classical music. The left to right and front to back imaging is excellent and tonally they strike a great balance between wamrth and brightness. Attack and drive are both in plentiful supply and, while the bass isn't earth shattering, there is enough of it and it is very tuneful and musical. I'm sure a step up to something about £700+ would wring even more out of my CA gear, but until then I think it would be hard to beat the 914is. I've heard the iQ7s and didn't think they compared to the Mordaunts. Neither am I a fan of MA speakers. Where MAs tend to get shrieky at the top end, the MS tweeter seems to maintain a much more musical balance without sacrificing airiness or top end extension.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Never heard them, but I hear that the Revolver RW45s circa £800 (but likely on a deal now their new range is out) would be worth a listen if you can get near them enough to organise a demo.

You can't get the Revolver RW45 anymore unless dealers have some old stock, the new Revolver music 5 are seriously good, massive soundstage, deep tight bass, brilliant sounding speakers.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure you'd appreciate the metal drivers in the MA's with classical music. Yes, they are generally bright speakers (but partnering them with a warm amp like an arcam solves this).

What you might want to consider, if you are going the MA route, is to listen to a pair of GS10's instead. The gold series really don't suffer from the brightness as much IMHO and are really good, detailed speakers. Anything else from the range would be a floorstander (or a sub lol) so probably not what you're looking for in a small room. Probably too expensive too.

I've seen GS10's going as new on ebay for under £500.

A

Anonymous

I agree with Mr Poletski. The MA GS10's are well worth a listen. Detailed and well balanced. Personally, I went for the KEF XQ20's which are very transparent, have great imaging with a deep controlled bass. As they are front ported they solve the bass boom issue that I get from them having to sit in alcoves. However, they can sound a bit bright and harsh at loud volume depending on the type of music, but as I listen mostly to classical this is not too much of a problem. And they look gorgeous! The GS10's and XQ20's are both good in a small room and I would recommend you look at stand mounted speakers rather than floor standers for a small room with classical music.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the discussion, guys. I guess I'll just keep listening to different speakers until I'm certain. If I had a bigger budget, say $2000, would the recommendations be completely different? I think I can get a pair of Neat Motive 2's for that price. Is that a huge jump from the Rega's? They are about the same size.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts