Monitor audio comparison?

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Living room is 17ft x 14ft. I have a yamaha rxv2065 with a rotel rb1510 power amp powering the front left and right mid/bass and the rear surround of the yamaha powering the treble. For movies a pioneer bdp-320 blu ray, for music marantz cd6003. Current speakers Br2, Brlcr, Brfx and Rsw12.

Ben K.:Living room is 17ft x 14ft. I have a yamaha rxv2065 with a rotel rb1510 power amp powering the front left and right mid/bass and the rear surround of the yamaha powering the treble. For movies a pioneer bdp-320 blu ray, for music marantz cd6003. Current speakers Br2, Brlcr, Brfx and Rsw12.

I'm not familiar with your Yamaha, but both speakers, although very good, will give you something different. The BX6 is a floorstander which means bigger bass extension, and generally, need to be sited a little further from the wall. If your system is firing down the 17' then it won't be problem. On the other hand, RX2, a stand mounted speaker will work better in confined spaces i.e. if they're firing across the 14'. Generally, standmounted are little more agile and are slightly less coloured in their presentation than price equivalent floorstander.

All the above theory gets blown to pieces if you have a forgiving room acoustics. This hobby is more complicated the more you upgrade; the better the equipment, the more demanding it is on room acoustics, size...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The BX6's are an ideal AV speaker - big and loud! But while they have advantages in this area, the RX2 will be a far more refined speaker due to the technologies it uses. They're also far better built and finished than the BX series and use real wood veneers. Even though they're smaller than the BX6's, they're capable of some pretty decent bass quantity and depth thanks to it's 8" bass driver - plenty of kick with a well matched amplifier/receiver.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Is my reciever/amplifier well matched for these speakers? My av rack is in a corner kind of pointing across the long diagonal of the room. My preference is stereo music as Im very happy with my movie experience as it is at the moment.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Frank.

I've been reading lots of threads and am concerned that rx1 and rx2 may not sound good in my set up. My speakers are close to the wall so Im now worried that because of the rear ports they will sound bad?

If I was to buy another make such as kef q300 with front ports I wouldnt have this problem. However I think it would ruin my tonal balance as all my 5.1 is monitor audio.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't mix manufacturer's speakers, always stick to the same. The RXs will sound quite bassy up against a wall, so you may have to resort to using the foam bungs to calm things down a bit. if you use a sub, you could set them to small with a crossover point of about 70/80Hz to minimise issues.

You can take two rooms that are exactly the same, and they can both have very different effects on the sound of a system. All you can do is try them in your room and see if you can overcome any major problems.

Mind you, the BX6s aren't goibg to fare any better either, as they produce just as much bass as the RX2s.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It would be helpful if you can find a shop that will let you try both the Bx6 and Rx2 in your own home with your own equipment before you buy. I bet if you did this one of them would immediately sound better than the other.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Being close to a wall, does the bass increase as in more of it or does it become uncontrolled? I like lots of bass for example I always turn bass tone control up on my stereo amp. When I change from cinema to stereo music I turn the volume of the sub up. My rsw12 kicks out more bass this way but it is still very precise and sounds good. So I like what some would call "too much bass" but at the same time I like the bass to still sound good and not flappy.

In your opinion would the rx1/2 produce more bass closer to the wall, or start to produce uncontrolled bass?

Is there a big difference in sound between rx1 and rx2?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
In my admittedly limited experience, I've found budget floorstanders can be too boomy. I'm sure a lot of this is due to poor placement, but not everyone can have a pair of speakers sited out into their room.

This was why, back in '02 and with limited funds, I plumped for standmounts (albeit bleedin' big standmounts).

I've since added a sub to give me even more welly, but I never regretted the decision as I'd rather a punchy, tighter and ultimately lighter bass, than a woolly, jumbled mass of bass overload.

If you can hear both options located in similar spaces they'd be in your home, that'd give you a good idea of what to expect.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I've always had standmount speakers so I think what ever I decide I will stick with standmounts.

Do you have 2 pv1 subs big chris or does your av and hifi share one?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Ben K.:

I've always had standmount speakers so I think what ever I decide I will stick with standmounts.

Do you have 2 pv1 subs big chris or does your av and hifi share one?

They share the same one........... Although two would be nice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts