Monitor Audio BX5 or Silver 8i?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Trying to decide whether to buy a new pair of BX5s or a secondhand pair of Silver 8is. Any thoughts?

NOTE: I already have a Monitor Audio Gold center speaker for my 5.1 setup (came preinstalled in my new house) so I want to match that tonally as far as possible. I also have a Mordaunt Short Alumni sub and a Pioneer VSX1017-AV receiver and I don't have my rear speakers yet either. Budget is limited.

A

Anonymous

Of the two it would have to be the Silver, they are much better speakers.

However, I'd probably spend the money on whatever Gold version would suit your speakers. If you have to get the standmount version then sobeit, but a cohesive sound stage is far more important (IMO) to the enjoyment of a film than more bass and after all, if you want mor ebass you can add a sub later.

scene

Hi remember!

As you can (hopefully) see from my sig, I have a pair of Silver 8i doing sterling service (excuse the pun) in my AV set up. I've hadthem from new, originally for pure stereo and they are really good. I would say that you'd need to get a pair of RS6 to beat them. The Silver RX6 are even better.

I found the BX5 a little too brash for my liking, and although good for 5.1 duty, I found them too tiring/abrasive for stereo listening.

If you are looking between a pair of secondhand 8i and BX5s, I'd seriously try to listen to some RS6 as well.

BTW, which model of "Gold" centre?

A

Anonymous

nawty said:
However, I'd probably spend the money on whatever Gold version would suit your speakers. If you have to get the standmount version then sobeit, but a cohesive sound stage is far more important (IMO) to the enjoyment of a film than more bass and after all, if you want mor ebass you can add a sub later.

I'd love to get the Golds but my budget won't stretch that far

scene said:
If you are looking between a pair of secondhand 8i and BX5s, I'd seriously try to listen to some RS6 as well. BTW, which model of "Gold" centre?

I can't afford the RS6s either! Not sure which center speaker it is since it's fitted inside the wall with a grille over it and I don't want to damage it by prising off the cover. The guy in the hifi shop (sevenoaks) that installed it remembered the installation and told me it was a MA Gold and that the guy had spent a "considerable sum" on a full MA Gold 5.1 setup.

With the budget I have, I think I'll have to stick to the secondhand 8is and if the soundstage doesn't match well, I could always sell the Gold center speaker and downgrade it to match I suppose.

scene

I'm referring to Monitor Audio RS6 (not the current RX6) - these can be picked up for sub £400

A new pair of BX5 is £499, and ex-demo from Sevenoaks are £399.

So pretty much the same price... :)

scene

Fair enough, that seems a bargain. I love my Silver 8is, and as floorstanders go I think they're pretty good. I listen to a mix of music, but rock and classical figure heavy and for that they're superb, as well as the front pair in a 5.1 setup. But, I can't stress that you can't beat a demo. They should integrate well with your centre, and around 85% of the sound in 5.1 comes from the front three, so that's good. I have an RS centre with mine and that works well. My only caveat would be that they need a bit of space around them to really sing, and a reasonable sized room. Mine's pretty large, but I used to have them in a Victorian terrace, which was pushing it a bit...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts