Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 - pairing amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm about to buy myself a new hi-fi system and wanted some advice regarding the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 speakers. I've listened to these in the shop, using a Rotel RA-05 amp. They sounded sweet. I was quite happy with them. However, I didn't like the Rotel cd player that went with it and also thought about trying to cut the cost to better fit my budget. Looking through What Hi-Fi magazine, I can see that the Marantz PM6002 amp gets a very good review and has a good cd player (with a one "controls all" remote control) to match. Perfect.

So, my question is: Does anyone know if the Marantz amp makes the Monitor Audio speakers sound as good or better than the Rotel? I'm unfortunately unable to test this in the shop.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I would say that the marantz would be a little brighter sounding that the rotel - when you demo'd the rotel/BR2s, was the sound on the bright side of happy for you already, or could you go just a little brighter?

If the latter, then I would say you'd be fine with the marantz...if not, then you might be better off looking at NAD (try superfi)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="NickJ"]So, my question is: Does anyone know if the Marantz amp makes the Monitor Audio speakers sound as good or better than the Rotel? I'm unfortunately unable to test this in the shop.[/quote]

Yes, they have more natural mids and treble. IMO superior in every aspect. Problem is, you'll soon find the MA's being the limiting factor. I'd forget about them and try and source the now discontinued M5/Epos for a few quid more or save a little and get the new model, perhaps even Rega R3's. All of them a better long term investment than the BR2's which you'll want to change in no time once you've heard better speakers.

A

Anonymous

the MA BR2 seem to be the best match for alot of retailers selling this Marantz 6002 CD/Amp combination. When i Tried the MA BR5's i found that chord cables help tone the britness of the speakers compared with QED SA XT cables.

A

Anonymous

I have the Cambridge 640 amp and cd in version 2, along with the br2's. Would the m5 epos be a big step up, and would they sound harsh? I have to have the speakers about 6in from the rear wall, due to the boss not wanting the speakers that far in the room. Do the epos 9which are rear ported) need alot of room to sound good, or would this be enough?

I all, I would like to know if it is worth selling the br2's and getting the epos?

Cheers,

Phil

A

Anonymous

[quote user="seduct10n"]Would the m5 epos be a big step up[/quote]

Significant, but possibly not earth-shatteringly so.

[quote user="seduct10n"]would they sound harsh?[/quote]

With your Cambridge pairing, I'd say there's a danger of this. It certainly won't sound boring though. In your position I'd definitely be wanting to cart my Cambridge gear to an audition before handing over the cash. You're looking at them for 250 quid I presume?

[quote user="seduct10n"]Do the epos 9which are rear ported) need alot of room to sound good, or would this be enough?[/quote]

That should be fine. Mine are about that distance from the back wall, and I think the manual only specifies minimum 10 cm.

[quote user="seduct10n"]I would like to know if it is worth selling the br2's and getting the epos?[/quote]

If you can sort out an audition, I suspect you'll really like the combination. Otherwise, I'd play it safe and save for something in the next price point up, that could withstand future upgrades of your source and amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hello

I have a BR2 paired with a PM6002. Sounds pretty good so far, though I think the bottleneck seems to be my CD player atm. Using a el-cheapo pioneer DVD player.

I am a little worried about the pairing actually. I don't listen at extreme levels but I have to turn the volume knob somewhere around the 10-11 o'clock position to get a reasonable volume. Just wanted to check if anyne else is experiencing this. Thanks for your response in advance.

Andy

A

Anonymous

I had my Monitor Audio BR2's paired with a Marantz CD6000OSE KI and a Marantz PM6010OSE KI and it sounded rubbish! However, when I changed the amp to a Rotel RA-02, all that changed! I have also tried it with a Roksan Kandy KA1 MK2 and MK3 and it was very good. So, I would suggest the following:

Marantz CD6002 + Rotel RA-04 + BR2's + QED's = Great sound.

A

Anonymous

I'm not a huge fan of Marantz...but I do think that you should check out NAD with the MA's.

I had a chance to hear the RS6's paired with a NAD C355bee and found the combo to be quite nice.

What type of music do you listen to?

You may want to heed Drummerman's advice and spend a few more quid on something more analytical so you can pick out more detail in your music. I second the Epos M5...very good bang for the buck.

Good luck with your search!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I think the perfect partner is the Rotel RA-04. Great sound together with the BR2's. I'm not a fan of Marantz amps, but Marantz has excellent CD players.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts