Monitor Audio bronze 2 vs Silver 2

shrekh

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I recently have purchased a pair of monitor audio bronze 2's and I love them. However I'm constantly thinking to myself I should've bought the silver 2's. Is the upgrade to the silver 2's worth it or should I just save my money and upgrade to a speaker in the $2000 range in the future?

Thanks for any input!

shrekh said:
I recently have purchased a pair of monitor audio bronze 2's and I love them. However I'm constantly thinking to myself I should've bought the silver 2's. Is the upgrade to the silver 2's worth it or should I just save my money and upgrade to a speaker in the $2000 range in the future?

Thanks for any input!

Welcome to the madhouse.

Like a lot of newbies there's a distinct lack of info. What amplifier do you have? What is your room size? preferred style of music? Do you prefer to play at low, medium or loud volumes?

The reason for the questions is all amps and speakers will have their own traits, this has an impact on room acoustics, size, genre of music blah blah...

shrekh

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I use a Music hall MMF 2.3 turntable and an old Yamaha cr 2020 amp. Room size is about roughly 10 feet by 15 feet . I listen to a wide range of music, mostly r&b/hip hop, jazz...lots of female vocals. I like to play at medium to loud volumes.

Of course I understand all this matters. However I'm only using the specific speakers beacuse it's an easy reference. Basically lets just say all things are equal and I have an optimum set up for whatever kind of speakers I choose, am I going to hear a bigger difference between the bronze and the silver or would I hear a bigger difference between the silver and the gold? If the bigger difference is between the silver and the gold then I'd probably be better off skipping the silver and going straight to the gold. I'm using monitor audio as a reference but this same question could be asked with any speaker brand.

Okay. Some come on here and ask a similar question when they only have a £300 40 watt amp. I see you have a real vintage receiver. Nice.

Based on your amp, definitely MA Silvers. The Silver range is a little more expensive, although if you can afford them I'd look at MAs new Gold range (Gold 50 or 100).

plastic penguin said:
Okay. Some come on here and ask a similar question when they only have a £300 40 watt amp. I see you have a real vintage receiver. Nice.

Based on your amp, definitely MA Silvers. The Silver range is a little more expensive, although if you can afford them I'd look at MAs new Gold range (Gold 50 or 100).

I'd agree with PP but would add simply go and listen to them. Only you can decide if it's worth the extra to get them. Be aware that some upgrades can end up being a backward step. Did you audition the Bronze 2 before you bought them?

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I reviewed a GX200 gold for a french hifi portal and wasn't amazed at all. Somewhat blurry or unprecise. In french, I used the word "ironing" because it does exactly that. Some details that are there aren't showed by the speaker. This is ok for a entry level speaker, but, at a certain price tag, it becomes a joke. Aside of that, he had a tendency of shrinking the room in every direction. Robbing real emotions from the musical content. On the top of that, those speakers aren't cheap.

Worst point. Some Monitor Audio official or seller posted fake reviews after me, with lots of snakeoil phrases with philosophical meanings. For me, a brand that worries more about his net reputation than to build correct sounding speaker is not worth to invest in.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
There's a lot of the hypothetical in the question, but assuming you'd be happy spending on the Golds then my advise would be to go and audition every speaker in that price range. Only that way will you find out whether the SQ delivered is worth the extra money to you and which of the clutch is your preferred sound.

Just as we all have our own taste in sound colouration, we each have our own optimum bang for the buck ratio.

abacus

The main difference is that the Gold speakers have ribbon tweeters, which usually have a sweeter less fatiguing sound, and if compared to the original instrument that they are reproducing, they are normally the more accurate, (They are expensive to produce though) however as with all speakers, only you can decide if it suits your musical pallet. (Subjective reviews are only relevant if the reviewers taste just happen to correspond to yours)

There can be NO exception to try before you buy. (Or if not available a return agreement is arranged)

Hope this helps

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to offer an alternative suggestion.

Before you splash out on new speakers and presumably lose a lor of cash selling on the Bronzes, I would invest some cash in your sources.

Your turntable is, by the reviews, a fairly good mid range deck. I don't know what cartridge you're using, but listen to the sound. If you feel there's something missing, then maybe a cartridge upgrade would help.
Next would be the interconnect cables between deck and amp, likewise the speaker cables. Doesn't matter how good the components are f they're strung together with doorbell wire, after all.
Now the big ticket item. The receiver. Consider upgrading that to something newer, and be sure to audition what you're thinking of buying, both with the speakers you've got and ones you might buy later. It would be a big mistake to buy an amp without doing otherwise.
Only when you've done all that would I consider changing the speakers. Most hi-fi buffs agree that you start with the sources, then move down the chain, finishing up with the speakers.
Oh. In a 10 x 15 room you're not really going to need that much power to achieve ear-bleeding sound levels, so don't be tempted by high wattage amps. Look for one with the sound you like and probably no more than 50 watts RMS per channel, high signal to noise ratio, or low total head distortion (THD), and a very good phono stage. You might even consider a valve based amplifier if your main medium is going to be those big black pizza shaped things... (said the guy who is a confirmed solid state electronics fan).

manicm

Benedict_Arnold said:
I'm going to offer an alternative suggestion.

Before you splash out on new speakers and presumably lose a lor of cash selling on the Bronzes, I would invest some cash in your sources.

Your turntable is, by the reviews, a fairly good mid range deck. I don't know what cartridge you're using, but listen to the sound. If you feel there's something missing, then maybe a cartridge upgrade would help. Next would be the interconnect cables between deck and amp, likewise the speaker cables. Doesn't matter how good the components are f they're strung together with doorbell wire, after all. Now the big ticket item. The receiver. Consider upgrading that to something newer, and be sure to audition what you're thinking of buying, both with the speakers you've got and ones you might buy later. It would be a big mistake to buy an amp without doing otherwise. Only when you've done all that would I consider changing the speakers. Most hi-fi buffs agree that you start with the sources, then move down the chain, finishing up with the speakers. Oh. In a 10 x 15 room you're not really going to need that much power to achieve ear-bleeding sound levels, so don't be tempted by high wattage amps. Look for one with the sound you like and probably no more than 50 watts RMS per channel, high signal to noise ratio, or low total head distortion (THD), and a very good phono stage. You might even consider a valve based amplifier if your main medium is going to be those big black pizza shaped things... (said the guy who is a confirmed solid state electronics fan).

Usually I would agree with you, but have you heard the previous Bronze BX2? Not many got on with them, myself included. They were a very clean but very clinical sounding speaker until you turned the volume up. If the new model is anything like it then I can understand where the OP is coming from. I traded up to the Silver RX1 and found it more even sounding.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the BX2's and was very very impressed with them in a small room at medium volumes. They were horrendous loud in a larger space, they totally lost their way. I now have RX1's which are much better and more controlled loud whilst still retaining the signature sound I like so much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts