Monitor Audio BR2 tweeter not working

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have had my Monitor Audio BR2s for about 2 to 3 years now and love them, over this time I have used them at an average volume level of about 9 to 10 o'clock on my old Marantz PM 4001 although for the odd party now and then they have been pushed to about 1 o'clock by some fool or another but they still soldiered on, sounding just as great as before. I have had no problems until this weekend, we had another party and I was using the above for music, as with all of the previous times, I had a set of old mission speakers connected to the speaker output 2 on the back of my amp and using my BR2s indoors and my missions in the garden. At about 10pm I disconnected the mission speakers from the back of my amp and turned the second speaker output off (I didn't turn the amp off for this), again, the same as what I did all of the other times. The last time I seem to remember them being okay was when somebody put on Beat it so my friend could do his MJ dance. I can't really remember anything else after this point, but when I was investigating any possible cause(s) for the dead tweeter on saturday morning I saw a pretty deep scratch on the top of my left speaker (the one with the dead tweeter) that looked like it was caused by being knocked off the speaker stand onto the corner of my guitar amp.

I tried swapping the speakers over and the problem stayed with the one speaker so I know it's not a signal problem. I wasn't sure if a fall could have disturbed a connection or caused another problem, or if they were just driven so hard that the tweeter died. The tweeter on the right hand speaker still works fine which is why I though it may have been caused by a knock or something similar rather than being overdriven. I have looked for a spare tweeter on the internet but could only find one for a BR which doesn't fit. I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on what the problem could be or where I could get another tweeter. I'm not too bothered about the price because I love these speakers and it was stupid to even risk using them at such high volumes but I guess we learn from our mistakes. :)

A

Anonymous

My BR2s tweeter died the other day for no reason. I used them with a Cambridge Audio 650a but only put the volume up a few times just to test the speakers. Hope i can get my BR2s fixed so i can use them as zone 2 speakers. They do still have warranty and are only 6 months old.

It could be a blown tweeter you could test the tweeter by connecting the speaker cable only into the tweeter and putting the volume up to see if any sound comes out because i did it i could hear some sound but it was very quiet.

Contact your dealer or email Monitor Audio. They should help you sort this problem out.

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

If your speaker has had a sharp impact, it is more than likely the magnet system has come away from the coil. That kind of intertia will cause problem. You might find it rattling around. If not, then it probably has been over-driven.

You can contact our head office 01268 740580 and service can sort you out with a price for a repalcement tweeter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts