Modern equivalents to Arcam A90 and Monitor Audio RS-6 Silver, upgrade suggestions?

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
I’ve had the amp and speakers for a long time. I’ve been very happy indeed with them. I’ve found myself spending more time listening in recent months, and I’m contemplating an upgrade to both.
  1. Please can someone help me understand which products these might equate to in today’s market in terms of price? I'm trying to work out how much I'd need to spend to get equivalent sound quality.
  2. In terms of sound quality for money rather than features like streaming, has the technology moved on much in the last 15 years?
  3. I know I’ve got to audition, but what products do you think I should consider that would represent a worthwhile upgrade? I’m thinking under £5k, but would I get something significantly better for that money?
Thanks all.

Edit: I only ever plan to connect a streamer to it. No vinyl or CDs.

Last edited:

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
I’ve been very happy indeed with them. I’ve found myself spending more time listening in recent months
Then don't spend the money! Listen to the music!

At any price point in the world of 'hi-fi' it is possible to spend money and get apparently 'superior' gear. What Hi-Fi exists to make this point.

But it is content that is paramount. You already have what makes you "very happy indeed." So - stop there!

I have exactly the same situation. I have equipment that is I know is good but I also know it is not the best of its kind in any category. It was all 2d hand - marvelous stuff can be had cheaply, sold by people who have been tempted by the chaemera of 'upgrading'. But it delivers very enjoyable results.

There is a hobby - hi-fi. That's to say, chopping and changing, buying a 'superior' amp - Oh! now I must upgrade the speakers! The DAC in my CD payer must be inadequate - I need to buy an outboard DAC that will make everything sound miles better ... so it goes on.

As a friend of mine says [he's spending money trying to convert an ancient Range Rover to an electric vehicle] hobbies cost money. If your hobby is hi-fi, spend the money. If your interest is in enjoying music, don't part with a cent . You already do.

Tinman1952

I’ve had the amp and speakers for a long time. I’ve been very happy indeed with them. I’ve found myself spending more time listening in recent months, and I’m contemplating an upgrade to both.
  1. Please can someone help me understand which products these might equate to in today’s market in terms of price? I'm trying to work out how much I'd need to spend to get equivalent sound quality.
  2. In terms of sound quality for money rather than features like streaming, has the technology moved on much in the last 15 years?
  3. I know I’ve got to audition, but what products do you think I should consider that would represent a worthwhile upgrade? I’m thinking under £5k, but would I get something significantly better for that money?
Thanks all.

Comparable products today would be the Arcam SA20 (80 watts per channel compared to the A90 90 watts per channel) £1,099
plus Monitor Audio Silver 200 floorstanders - were £1099 now available for £649 if you're quick. 🙂
BUT will they sound 'better'?........doubtful.

Thanks all.

I still own the RS6s since 2005 and they are hard to beat for under a grand. They still stack up.

For a worthwhile improvement you need to look at Totem Arros. They are fabulous in terms of stereo imaging, but dealers are few and far between.

I would try that combo as Arcam & Totem are a cracking match

D

Deleted member 160668

If sticking with Arcam (and why not, they're great - big Arcam fanboy here) then you should also consider chucking PMC speakers into the mix. They match very well indeed.

D

Deleted member 160668

I still own the RS6s since 2005 and they are hard to beat for under a grand. They still stack up.

For a worthwhile improvement you need to look at Totem Arros. They are fabulous in terms of stereo imaging, but dealers are few and far between.

I would try that combo as Arcam & Totem are a cracking match
Having owned a lot of speakers and having spent quite a bit of time spinning kit, I do have to agree with PP here. RS6's really do punch considerably above their current market value. You will need to spend a bit for a noticeable jump.

Reactions: Al ears

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
You already have what makes you "very happy indeed." So - stop there!
Thanks for your reply. I get where you are coming from.

However, that kit was my first proper Hi-Fi and I don't have experience of anything else. I was really impressed with the sound at first, but what I really noticed was how bad cheaper systems sounded by comparison. I seem to notice the degradation more than the improvement if that makes sense.

I'm wondering what sort of improvement I might notice if I spent twice as much in modern day terms. Would my existing kit sound poor by comparison or not I wonder?

D

Deleted member 160668

Sticking with Arcam the best amp they've ever made is the A49. These can be picked up for around £1800 on eBay from time to time. I've owned the A39 before, which is a really great amp. Expect to pay £500-600 for one of these.

Pair this with some decent PMC floorstanders, perhaps Twenty-Five 24's. You'd comfortably be inside your £5k budget. This would wipe the floor with what you have now. Note this is only one suggestion of a million options. You could and should also get to see a dealer if you are thinking of dropping up to £5k.

Yes, you can better what you have. That's almost always possible at whatever level of kit you own.

If you are happy with what you have, then stick. If not, then twist and go see your local dealer for some inspiration.

@plastic penguin, @amormusic , are you suggesting keep the speakers and upgrade the amp, or am I missing the point?
The other way round. Totems are a great match with Arcam, and IMO better the RS6 quite considerably -- so they should at around £1700 (last time I looked) which is £1000 more than the RS6s when new.

Rather than going 'belt and braces' with both amp & speakers test the A90 first with different speakers. You never know, it might just be the answer... and you'll save yourself a lot of money as well.

Totems
PMC
Focal

All great Arcam matches, based on the ones I've heard

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts