Mobile audio nirvana, sort of....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
newlash09 said:
From your above post, understand that you have tried the aux-in into your amp from the onkyo. And seem to be more pleased than the oppo via the line-in's. Am I right in understanding it this way :)

Yes, have tried both. Analogue out into preamp and digital out into Oppo. Very similar actually.

insider9

Al ears said:
insider9 said:
Can you use the Onkyo with a remote app? I mean from an app on your mobile/tablet when it's plugged into your main system.

Don't know, never needed to. But probably, I can control Oppo from my tablet if required. Plugged in this way Oppo sees it as a hard drive.
That's very useful when you want to use stationary.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
I've got a vague recollection of you once saying you were a radio operator on an oil rig - ear protection on the way to work in a chopper follows from that, don't know why you can't have a camera though.

Spot on!

Al ears said:
Clare, seems I might just have to give the digital edition a go. It's pretty difficult to get to the shops when you're stuck on a oil rig in the Atlantic!!

chebby said:
pauln said:
I've got a vague recollection of you once saying you were a radio operator on an oil rig - ear protection on the way to work in a chopper follows from that, don't know why you can't have a camera though.

Spot on!

Al ears said:
Clare, seems I might just have to give the digital edition a go. It's pretty difficult to get to the shops when you're stuck on a oil rig in the Atlantic!!

There's a few detective-type people on this forum who clearly have too much spare time on their hands. :)

I'm not a radio operator though.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:
pauln said:

Spot on!

Al ears said:

There's a few detective-type people on this forum who clearly have too much spare time on their hands. :)

So ear protection while at work as well would lead me to believe that you work in the pump room, shakers, genny room - am i getting close? I'm only curious because I was a roughneck then derrickman in the North Sea for 6 years back in the 80's.

pauln said:
Al ears said:
chebby said:
pauln said:

Spot on!

Al ears said:

So ear protection while at work as well would lead me to believe that you work in the pump room, shakers, genny room - am i getting close? I'm only curious because I was a roughneck then derrickman in the North Sea for 6 years back in the 80's.

Times change and so does the good old Health and Safety Executive. Cannot go outside anywhere these days without ear plugs and, in noisier places, ear protection over them. Many places now use helmet mounted ear cups with inbuilt speakers / mikes for communication.

We are getting there.... pardon?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
i thought

I thought I was having a chew! Look phone people, it will never in a million years beat a DAP. OK more to my point with AlEars, Google Onkyo vs AK and the AK wins. Every time. Now I'm not saying either is better than the other but please tell us why the Onk is better, as regards testing did you test both with the P7's? Which I don't like anyway, just being objective here, not awkward.

paulkebab said:
i thought

I thought I was having a chew! Look phone people, it will never in a million years beat a DAP. OK more to my point with AlEars, Google Onkyo vs AK and the AK wins. Every time. Now I'm not saying either is better than the other but please tell us why the Onk is better, as regards testing did you test both with the P7's? Which I don't like anyway, just being objective here, not awkward.

There is not a lot to say about what others think, read WHF review of the AK100 mark 2, even that has faults. I tested an AK120 with P7s and 1More e1001 in ear monitors.

The functionality of the Onkyo is much better with wifi ability and support for streaming sites but that's beside the point, I just thought it sounded better.

Yes the AK was better in some areas and, funily enough, seemed to have the edge with lower quality files, but I didn't think it justified the price difference.

That's a personal thing I know but with AKs pricing range you are going to have to spend a thousand to better the £700 Onkyo, they just don't have anything to compete at that price level I am afraid. To do so they would have to drop their prices by a couple of hundred.

insider9

paulkebab said:
... being objective here, not awkward.

I though there was no such thing in Hifi as objectivity... It either sounds good to you or it doesn't. No matter what others think.

Were I looking for a DAP I'd certainly look at Onkyo first on Al's recommendation alone. I'd even go as far as saying if the price was right I'd buy it on Al's recommendation.

insider9 said:
paulkebab said:
... being objective here, not awkward.

I though there was no such thing in Hifi as objectivity... It either sounds good to you or it doesn't. No matter what others think.

Were I looking for a DAP I'd certainly look at Onkyo first on Al's recommendation alone. I'd even go as far as saying if the price was right I'd buy it on Al's recommendation.

I thank you. You are correct in what sounds good to me may not sound so good to you, but that's what it's all about isn't it?

I still would have bought it even if I had to pay full price. ;-)

I am an analogue man at home and, dare I say it?, the Onkyo just sounded more analogue...

jjbomber

Al ears said:
There is not a lot to say about what others think, read WHF review of the AK100 mark 2, even that has faults. I tested an AK120 with P7s and 1More e1001 in ear monitors.

The functionality of the Onkyo is much better with wifi ability and support for streaming sites but that's beside the point, I just thought it sounded better.

That's a personal thing I know

This is from Trusted Reviews. It's a personal thing but only the Onkyo got 5 stars from them.

''The sound quality of the DP-X1 is truly exceptional. Listening to Kimiko Douglass-Ishizaka’s 24-bit/96kHz recordings of Bach’s Goldberg Variations revealed that the Onkyo has the same impeccable timing and stop-start precision with notes as the Astell & Kern AK70, without being quite so overly bright. It’s a sound that’s totally unfatiguing''.

''If you’re looking for an entry to Hi-Res Audio on the go, the Onkyo DP-X1 should be at the top of your list''.
Verdict
Probably the best portable Hi-Res Audio player you can get right now – and the most versatile.

jjbomber said:
Al ears said:

That's a personal thing I know

This is from Trusted Reviews. It's a personal thing but only the Onkyo got 5 stars from them.

''The sound quality of the DP-X1 is truly exceptional. Listening to Kimiko Douglass-Ishizaka’s 24-bit/96kHz recordings of Bach’s Goldberg Variations revealed that the Onkyo has the same impeccable timing and stop-start precision with notes as the Astell & Kern AK70, without being quite so overly bright. It’s a sound that’s totally unfatiguing''.

''If you’re looking for an entry to Hi-Res Audio on the go, the Onkyo DP-X1 should be at the top of your list''.
Verdict
Probably the best portable Hi-Res Audio player you can get right now – and the most versatile.

I'd happily go along with that..... even though I referenced the AK120. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts