MKV on Sony Bluray

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Fellas

My father-in-law has just been given a Sony BDP-S370 bluray player for his birthday, and I happily told him that it would be able to handle MKVs.

Indeed, we put a 1.09gb MKV file onto USB, put it in the front slot and it worked fine.

We then tried it on a 4.4gb file. Now, this as you know is too big for a USB to take (as the player does not recognise NTFS but only FAT 32 which limits file sizes to 4gb). So we burned it to a DVD disc, popped it in the player and....a big notice came up saying "UNSUPPORTED DATA" (or words to that effect). The file is definitely on there, and plays fine through the PC.

Does the Sony only take MKVs though the USB or is there something we're not doing? The only other thing I suggested is that he could split the MKV file in two and put these on the USB, but it would be preferable if it could be read straight off the disc.

An ideas?

A

Anonymous

Yeh sony does not support MKV that well.

And a single layer dics will only handle 4.7gb so you would need a double layer disc.

You can try compress it, but not sure what program you would use.

I use my PS3 and I need to convert the 8gb file using MKV2VOB, this lowers the file size, but I dont think it will lower it to a dvd size.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
MKV is just a container. It all depends on whats IN the container. personally ive had all sorts of problems trying to get MKvs to work. generally I use MKV2VOB (free program) to convert to M2TS files (Usually due to the sound format, but sometimes due to the picture or both) Problem there is that it makes the file bigger , so youd need to burn to a dual layer disc

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes I use MKVtoVOB to get them to play on my PS3, but seeing as the BDP-S370 plays MKVs I thought it would play them direct.

The whole file is on the disc (4.4gb file on a 4.7gb disc) and works fine on the PC, so I guess I will have to tell him to use a splitter and put them onto USB. What a long way round. Maybe a firmweare update will sort it at some point (here's hoping).

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I've burned the 1.09gb file that works on USB to disc and the Bluray machine doesn't accept it........I presume therefore that on the BDP-S370 MKV files are only accesible through the USB and not on disc....if anyone else can confirm/refute this please let me know!

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to go slightly off topic (and repeat an unanswered question already posted!) but can any of you tell me whether there is the facility on the BDP 370 to delete video files from a USB stick or HDD as can be done on the PS3.

A

Anonymous

If you love the idea of BD player + media player IMO HD Dune Prime 3.0 is the most capable player at the moment. I am using one and loving it!

It even handles BD ISO flawlessly :)

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Have been looking at the Dune for a bit, as I quite like the idea of being able to have a library of my disks on a drive, and clear the shelves.

Wondered what your opinion is in terms of picture and sound quality, and what display you use it with? Have you done any comparisons with other players?

Any info would be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hi kinda,

As you can see on my siggy, my display is Sony 37". This is my first bluray player so I do not have direct comparison however I noticed my mkv collection looks sharper compared to output from the pc (my Sony is hooked to the pc previously).

To be fair I think the Dune does not perform as good as Sony BDP 370 (picture wise), provided you are not using projector or >50" display should not make huge difference.

The Prime 3.0 comes with 7.1 analog out and that's a bonus!

Does the UK has any Dune distributor? Why not arrange for a demo?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks,

Yeah, sorry, missed the TV in the signature. I would be using with a projector with screen just over 2m wide.

I might try and get a demo, but there's no one near me selling these, so I'll have to travel if I can get a demo at all.

Don't really need the 7.1 outs, just the LPCM over HDMI, (my Marantz amp is HDMI 1.2 and won't decode onboard). The thing is I'm impressed with upscaled DVD, (XDE 500), and only very rarely can see any pixelation, so I dare say I might not see much difference in BluRay players.

The S370 doesn't seem up to scratch in terms of playing media, so I guess is whether I want to stick to disks, and get a cheaper player with things like BBC iPlayer, or pay extra to go with a Dune and have a proper media hub.

A

Anonymous

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Fair enough, I would say if media player is your thing just
buy the Dune, you are not gonna regret it.

Prior to purchase the Dune I demoed it on a 92"
projector. The dude was playing BD ISO files
and I was amazed.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, that's encouraging. I've read some good reviews and I'm getting tempted.

Just wanted to ask do you find BluRay ISO playback fine from the external storage smooth from NAS? I have a NAS wired to my router, and the Dune would be wired to the router also, but I'm wondering if I'd need to get a particularly speedy NAS. Mine's an old Lacie D2.

Also, how's the web browsing? Does it pretty much do what a standard browser does? I'm thinking though there aren't specific apps on Dune for BBC iPlayer and LoveFilm I could still access them as I can through a standard browser.

Any info much apprecited.

A

Anonymous

kinda, I just bought the Dune a month ago and my apologies as I never connect it to the internet nor NAS, only external HDD and BDs. If HDD can perform flawlessly I bet NAS could?

However, I bet you could find some helpful info here

Cheers

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks,

Can't access link yet, but I'll have a look. I'd forgotten about the SATA interface. I think BluRay is about 50MB per second, so I'll have a check of my NAS and network performance.

Although if the dune caches that might make a difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts