Mk silver plated plugs vs copper..Any thoughts?

iceman16

Hi everyone..I have replaced the Mk plugs(standard copper)of my chord power chord to Mk plugs(silver plated).The sound dramatically changed from warm and fluid to ear fatiguing harsh and bright.the bass also became light and the overall sound is thin.I decided to put the copper back in place and it sounded right once again.Im a bit sceptical about burn-in and I just can't listen to music with these siver plated plugs(even my wife noticed the difference).Anyone had experienced the same problem with these silver plated Mk plugs?

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I also changed the standard copper plugs to MK Silver plugs for my Blueray player and the Leema Pulse but I cannot hear any differences to the sound.

It seems to me that you have poor cable contacts within your plugs, check your connections.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Everything ive fitted that has been solid silver or silver plated has sounded rubbish to start with

Fit the cable to your computer to run it in (or whatever you like)

If it doesnt change after 3 months ill eat my hat (Or theres something faulty, which I seriously doubt)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
If it doesnt change after 3 months ill eat my hat (Or theres something faulty, which I seriously doubt)
If the op has been ill for 3 months, don't you think it would be a bit harsh to make them eat your hat?
smiley-smile.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
aliEnRIK said:
If the op has been ill for 3 months, don't you think it would be a bit harsh to make them eat your hat?
smiley-smile.gif

I would expect people to not be silly enough to think everything would sound great when theyre ill

iceman16

aliEnRIK said:
Everything ive fitted that has been solid silver or silver plated has sounded rubbish to start with

Fit the cable to your computer to run it in (or whatever you like)

I have tried to make some DIY mains cable myself and they did sound fantastic.I've used some braided screen cable from ebay,silver plated mk plugs(655),silver plated IEC,heat shrink and ferrite clamps.Each 1.5m cable cost me about 35 quid including postage and I can compare them with my chord power chord(if not better).As I have mention before the silver plugs did not sound good or better(harsh and bright) and I could not even consider it as an upgrade to the chord power chord.But when i used them for the DIY I was amazed.IMO I was rewarded with the effort I made with this project and I will do more for the rest of my kit. ;)

A

Anonymous

Did u also happen to try Rhodium plated ones? Some japanese brands produces those, but only in US style plugs.

I was told:

-Rhodium gives a better soundstage

-Gold gives more body to the sound, but at the expense of dynamics

-Silver, unless (5N)99.999% or more pure, makes it sound very bright. The purer ones are supposed to improve the dynamics and not sound bright.

I was told these by sellers for DIY stuff (more than one). I was skeptical that plugs rather than cables make a difference at all. However, since you could hear the difference and you're into DIY, you can try.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I have tried to make some DIY mains cable myself and they did sound fantastic.I've used some braided screen cable from ebay,silver plated mk plugs(655),silver plated IEC,heat shrink and ferrite clamps.Each 1.5m cable cost me about 35 quid including postage and I can compare them with my chord power chord(if not better).As I have mention before the silver plugs did not sound good or better(harsh and bright) and I could not even consider it as an upgrade to the chord power chord.But when i used them for the DIY I was amazed.IMO I was rewarded with the effort I made with this project and I will do more for the rest of my kit. ;)

Thats slightly different in that braided mains cables (Which are far and away the best to have in my opinion) do reduce mains noise. So whilst I personally think it would sound better after a 'run in' period, just using braided cable would (Or 'could' depending on the mains) be better than standard

To put it another way, whatever you may have lost from using new silver plating, you more than gained from using braided cable

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts