Mission 782 vs Spendor SA1 speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Although the MF 16 looks really good both in aesthetics and on paper it looks as though its going to go for quit a high price. Probably worth it but I'm not prepared to spend that right now.

C'est la vie!

I fully understand, but I suspect it's the kind of thing you need.

Cno

FennerMachine said:
I'm sending the Quad 303 for a service tomorrow. They have a 28 day turn around. That will put my final decision on speakers back a few weeks! Not going to think about it too much now as I know I have at least 4 weeks before I can begin testing again. I have decided to sell my Cyrus aCA7.5 though. Better do it soon at it was factory serviced about 18 months ago.

Hi FennerMachine

Nice one :) Hopefully the service will freshen up the 303's performance :twisted:

Btw, i have a feeling that you're going to end up with a pair of 782SE's :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
As requested an update.

Quad 303 still being serviced, hopefully will have it back by the end of the month.

I have put the Cyrus Smart Power's back on for now.

I have used the SA1's for a few days then switched back to the 782's.

I must say that at the moment I prefer the 782's.

I'm sure that with much better amplification the SA1's will be fantastic but the 782's sound better with what I have and I'm enjoying my music. I don't intend on spending much more on electronics so I think that the SA1's will be going. They have served me well for about a year but maybe someone else will get even more enjoyment out of them.

This also saves me changing my other speaker as I already have the matching Mission 78C & 78ds rears.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's all about the synergy and it would seem that the Quad + Mission is the way to go......I still think you'll have changed again in 3 years time! >)

Cno

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm always intriged to hear the opinions of others with the same or similar kit to me.

If you have the space to set the 782's up, i.e about 2m apart, bass units facing each other with no toe in and nothing inbetween them these speakers will impress. their only downside being their picky about positioning. and will be affected by furniture, like a sofa or sideboard or maybe grandfather clock inbetween them

the upside is they take up the same footprint as those SA1 on stands and will improve with amplification and quality of kit I hope you lret us know how they get on with the Quad

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Because of where I have to position my 782's the bass units are firing outwards or they would be firing against my TV cabinet.

They are just over 5' apart.

In this configuration they have a good sound stage and the bass is not overblown.

I need to get some spikes for them as they are directly on the floor at the moment but as they sound good and have had no complaints from below I might leave them as they are.

I will update when I've tried them with the Quad 303 when I get it back.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Got the Quad 303 back yesterday.

Set it up with the Mission 782's.

Listened to several CD's to get an idea of what it can do.

Today I've been going through a mixture of my CD's for a proper listen.

I picked a selection of tracks from the likes of:

Guns N' Roses

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Elvis

Michael Jackson

The Corrs

William Shatner

Madonna

James Last

Various classical pieces

Cream Anthems 2000

Celine Dion

Everything has sounded good.

I think that every track I've listened to has sounded at least as good as I've ever heard it but most have sounded better.

One of the most obvious differences is vocals.

All vocals sound clearer with more naturalness. The most obvious is with Axl Rose. He sounds more like he has a classical trained voice and his vocal qualities really show.

I read that the 303 can have issues with bass at louder volumes. I have had no issues at levels at about the maximum that I would ever use.

I will try the Spendor SA1's on Wednesday for a proper listen and leave them on for a few days to give them a fair go.

I have decided to sell may 3 Cyrus amps though (1 x pre, 2 x power) as I now have no need for them.

FennerMachine said:
Got the Quad 303 back yesterday.

Set it up with the Mission 782's.

Listened to several CD's to get an idea of what it can do.

Today I've been going through a mixture of my CD's for a proper listen.

I picked a selection of tracks from the likes of:

Guns N' Roses

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Elvis

Michael Jackson

The Corrs

William Shatner

Madonna

James Last

Various classical pieces

Cream Anthems 2000

Celine Dion

Everything has sounded good.

I think that every track I've listened to has sounded at least as good as I've ever heard it but most have sounded better.

One of the most obvious differences is vocals.

All vocals sound clearer with more naturalness. The most obvious is with Axl Rose. He sounds more like he has a classical trained voice and his vocal qualities really show.

I read that the 303 can have issues with bass at louder volumes. I have had no issues at levels at about the maximum that I would ever use.

I will try the Spendor SA1's on Wednesday for a proper listen and leave them on for a few days to give them a fair go.

I have decided to sell may 3 Cyrus amps though (1 x pre, 2 x power) as I now have no need for them.

Hi FennerMachine

Glad that you're enjoying even more of the 303's qualities :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Wednesday...... o.k I look forward to the conclusion,

I don't know the amp, but is it the one with DIN sockets, thats some serious old school man.

my gut tells me you'll miss the weight of the 782s once you switch back to the SA1s, they sound bigger than they look don't they?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Took a bit longer than expected as I was very busy Wednesday doing other things.

I've had a listen to the SA1's for a few hours over a few days.

I can see there potential in the right system and environment.

The whole time I was listening to music with them I was looking forward to putting the 782's back on.

I have put them back on today.

I have made my decision.

I am keeping the Mission 782's.

The Spendor SA1's will be going.

I need to get spikes for the 782's to finish them but they are cheap, any 6mm spikes will do apparently.

I have what look like IF Designs Tallis speaker stands that the friend who sold them to me said to never sell! They are supposed to be very good stands but I suppose that comes down to what speakers you put on them! As I am likely to never get stand mounts again why keep them?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I new you'd go that way....... nice to read about a similar product to what I have.

although I am a little curious to know what the difference is between the 2 speakers, was it the scale?

the bass under pinning a clear midrange, balance?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Good question.

One of the things I said to a friend yesterday is that the bass is like a foundation for the music with the 782's. The midrange is very clear, highs are detailed but with zero fatigue. The bass is a little over blown but it should be better when I get floor spikes for them. Aside from the bass issues the drivers integrate well. I have had bass issues with every combination of speakers/amps in this room. Bass traps or other treatment would likely help.

The SA1's can dig out subtle parts of the music and the drive/pace is great but they have no foundation to hold it up. The extra detail is not worth the sacrifice of the bass.

The 782's are just more fun to listen to with my current amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts