Mission 752...The Record Spot

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
The Record Spot/anyone,,,some advice please.

I purchased a rather nice pair of Mission 752 speakers (original version, tweeter above Bass/Midrange driver) but need some advice on set up.

I have them mounted on spikes, slightly towed in but due to room environment cant position them closer than about 2 Feet from the rear wall. The result is they dont do quiet to mid volume. Unless I drive them to party volume levels there is very little Bass punch. The Bass extension is there but no punch.

At the high volume level the tweeters sound harsh and I could say "nasty" especially with poor recordings.

They are driven by 4 monoblock 40W/channel RMS amplifiers which sound awseome with my Kef Q300's on the end of them. The Kef's being very "punchy" but obviously being a stand mount are lacking in Bass extension. Due to downsizing from a 5.1 system to 2 channel (best sound for music and music DVD's imo) I wanted a pair of floorstanding speakers to give a fuller, deeper sound.

Before I throw in the towel and sell them on is there anything I can try to rectify this without changing the rest of my set up which would be madness as the speakers were cheap and a stop gap until I can afford some Epos Epic 5's.

Some thoguhts and advice please.

Cheers

T

the record spot

The 752s while having a fairly substantial footprint are not the most bassy of speakers. That said, in the setup I had, bass was never an issue - plentiful and well controlled. Mine were set out in the room and I lived in a detached house at the time. My source was a Marantz SA7001-KI CDP, itself a lean machine so it needed something to counteract those two characteristics otherwise it'd have been too distracting. I picked up a Sansui AU-717 and apart from being one of the best amps I've ever heard, it delivered dynamics in spades. Problem solved.

When I first bought them though, I had the same reaction - a bit "meh". What's the fuss. After a while though and when I was used to the sound of the new speaker (I'd had Mission 733i before), their talents were very clear.

In your case, I don't know - your speakers are near to a wall, but are front ported, so they shouldn't be too boomy, two feet out is fine. It depends what your expectations of deep bass is - do you want the chest thumping effect? The tweeter was never an issue for me - I had both the original 751 some years ago as well as the 752 more recently, and the mesh dome tweeter was many things but never harsh or sibilant. Mission nailed that range to a tee I think, so I'm not sure why you're experiencing a spitty treble.

Try to have them firing straight down the room rather than toeing them in. They have a big soundstage that sits out and behind the speaker in a different way than your standmount KEFs will. I'm not surprised that the KEFs might sound deeper; they're quite big for a standmount speaker, but the 752 is the better one of the two by some distance.

Never heard your other gear or know what your room's layout is like, but hope you can get your problem sorted out.

A

Anonymous

The treble problem, could be an acoustical environment problem. Maybe, use some materials that absorb the sound instead of reflexting it. Can be with books, or a piece of carpet ( if you have a wooden floor )

You use the bass of the KEF speakers as your reference. But the Missions are totally different and will never deliver the kind of bass of the KEFs.

So, I suggest you should try to listen without prejudice and learn to enjoy the bass of the Missions. If you can't get used to that, I am afraid you should try another pair of speakers...good luck!

A

Anonymous

Hi, I own allsorts of kit ( bit of a collector ) and have a pair of 752 and a pair of 753. I must confess I did have exhibiting the same issues as you describe.
I was really surprised to find that there are vast differences in characteristics depending on your distance from the rear wall. They were placed in exactly the same positions as I was using some ruark stand mounters ( also front ported but sounding very dynamic).
I have now got the 752s sounding as the should, they are facing straight into the room, around a foot from the rear wall. The largest improvement came by placing a few acoustic tiles on the side walls ( which are around 2 feet from the side of each speaker), and a few on the wall behind me. I can only assume that the dispersion characteristics of these speakers varied so much to the previous speakers.
Deadening the room to stop the treble being bounced all around has certainly made the sound alot more fluid, and the bass more present and defined.
Since buying some acoustic foam tiles I have been experimenting constantly and it is amazing how I can vary the way things sound...far more than changing components actually!!
Good luck!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi I have a pair of 752s without any of your problems mine are about 220mm from rear wall 500mm from side wall fireing strait down room I have had good results with these speakers up to 300mm from rear wall I would stick with them for a while good luck:cheers:

A

Anonymous

i had some 752,s i got a sub no other way

.with a sub very nice

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for advice and input.

I think I will try a little more experimentation before throwing in the towel completely as initially they are great sounding speakers but just to recap don't do quieter volumes, either all or nothing in my system which, after a time is too fatiguing :(

I will try to have them face on and not towed in. Unfortunately my room is 18Ft by 12Ft (sorry...of an age where still use imperial :) ) and I have to have them facing across the narrowest part.

i was also thinking that perhaps my amplification wasn't up to the job but there is no problem driving the Kef's (87db sensitivity) with plenty of headroom and no noticeable drop off in sound as they get louder/amps work harder. The 752's are 90db sensitivity so should be easier to drive?

I really do want to persevere as they really are lovely, quality speakers but at the end of the day it will be down to sound.

Thanks again

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Pike 900fish I know this might sound daft but have you checked that your polarity is correct ie + on amp to + on speaker and that one speaker is not out of phase because this would rob your bass etc:)

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Yipee doo!!! :bounce:

I cant quite believe it but by placing my 752's about 14 inches and flat to the rear wall, no toe in, they sound absolutely fantastic.

Decent bass from medium volume and stonking when cranked up. Also the treble is no longer harsh. It nearly...and I mean nearly..becomes too bright on rare occasions but seems to rein itself in before losing control and becoming shril....perfect.

I can't believe what a simple thing like tweaking the positioning has done to the sound of these speakers. Was never any good at Physics at school but am sure somebody out there can explain why the dramatic change in sound.

Bass has perfect extension and more importantly for me...PUNCH!...With only a few hours listening already, they spank my Kef's for clarity, detail, low down oomph and PUNCH, PUNCH PUNCH.

Thanks for all your help out there and I can now join the army of supporters who rate these fine speakers...Bargain :rofl:

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear this! As a matter of fact I had mine with a little bit toe in, but changed it back after reading this thread. With the Brio R they are just a perfect fit for me. What a fun!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
oh... the problems solved....

well I was going to suggest have them firing straight out, no toe in and suggest more power is required to drive the Missions to holographic levels. if they're anything like the 782se's they need an amp with grunt. 40watt sounds a little low as the missions of that time had fairly low sensitivity - 87dbish.

they do need space to give a nice textured bass to, too close to walls and they boom abit, but if all is resolved....cool.

T

the record spot

The original 752 is 89db and will work nicely with even a 30watter - I used them with a Sansui AU-217 and the mix was excellent. They'd go reasonably loud too - more than enough for a domestic setting - but yes, more power is never a bad thing.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
fair enough.....

I have owned 2 pairs of Mission some (budget) 731's book shelf/stand mount - remember them and the 782se

(mid price). With lowish amplification (60watt) in recent times with the 782's the speakers did not show of their best. They sounded fine by any standard. but when you hear them been 'driven' with power you realise how good the brand was. If you like your music projected clear of the speakers in a 3 dimensional image you need more power than 40watts.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
oh... the problems solved....

well I was going to suggest have them firing straight out, no toe in and suggest more power is required to drive the Missions to holographic levels. if they're anything like the 782se's they need an amp with grunt. 40watt sounds a little low as the missions of that time had fairly low sensitivity - 87dbish.

they do need space to give a nice textured bass to, too close to walls and they boom abit, but if all is resolved....cool.

Yes I know 40W/channel doesn't sound very powerful but these are class "D" amps, very high efficiency, produce hardly any heat so very minimal loss in terms of heat energy. I believe usual class "A" etc amp is only about 70% efficient? The class "D" i use 90 odd % efficient. Anyhow, have 4 of them so plenty of power (contolled at that) for the Missions.

Incidentally, the base plates were scratched and I've cleaned them up and given them a nice coat of paint...looks like new :)

Cheers

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to bump this thread again but thought I'd let you know how I was getting on with the 752's

Well...Just picked up a pair of 752 Freedom version. The speakers were local to me and a steal!

Initial impressions are much smoother sound more accomodating with poorer recordings. The original 752's are good speakers but can be too bright if the recording is poor.

The Freedom's on the other hand are great speakers...slightly easier to drive, smooth but with enough detailed presentation and stonking bass imo.

Dilemma with the originals...may keep them for now as the bass drivers alone would make good spares.

Cheers

T

the record spot

Must admit, I've never had brightness with the original 752 - depends on the equipment I guess. Blasted synergy!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
my 752s are sweet , I am soon to be on the lookout for there replacement I think I have had them for about 15 years or maybe even longer I will have to see if I still have the bill of sale .I will give them to my son who has always loved em:cheers:

alienkidmj12

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
anyone know if the DA3200ES amp will be enough to power these speakers ?

Specs below,
Audio
  • Surround System Class 7.1 channel
  • Amplifier Output Details 110 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.09% - 2 channel(s) ( front )
    110 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.09% - 1 channel(s) ( center )
    110 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.09% - 2 channel(s) ( surround )
    110 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.09% - 2 channel(s) ( surround back )
    120 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.7% - 2 channel(s) ( front )
    120 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.7% - 1 channel(s) ( center )
    120 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.7% - 2 channel(s) ( surround )
    120 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.7% - 2 channel(s) ( surround back )
  • Built-in Decoders Dolby Pro Logic II
  • Digital Sound Processor (DSP) Yes
  • DSP Presets Live Concert
  • Total Harmonic Distortion 0.09% %
  • Additional Features upgradeable firmware

thanks

dave

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
The 752 are an easy load to drive My son used to run his on a Denon mini sytem 30WPC he now runs them with an audiolab 8000a 60WPC so I think you should be ok

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts