Mission 752 Freedoms - advice please

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I am going to make an insurance claim on these tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know the original retail price please ? And what happens if I dont have the original receipt when bought new many years ago ? I cant even remember where I bought them from - it was that long ago ?

Thanks

T

the record spot

Circa £550 I think. Rather hoping you have "new for old" as current £150 speakers (which is what near mint 752s go for these days, or thereabouts), won't come remotely close!

Also, you can contact Mission directly - they have a base in Huntingdon which I've used from time to time. Don't have the details to hand, but Google them, they'll get back to you.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
Circa £550 I think. Rather hoping you have "new for old" as current £150 speakers (which is what near mint 752s go for these days, or thereabouts), won't come remotely close!

Also, you can contact Mission directly - they have a base in Huntingdon which I've used from time to time. Don't have the details to hand, but Google them, they'll get back to you.

They were definitely more than £550 - nearer the grand mark when new if I remember correctly ? Just cant remember exactly how much - they are the Freedom version and yes have new for old hence the question.

Thanks for the reply though - will try Mission in the morning. Still cant find that original receipt though so prepared for a battle with my insurance company.

T

the record spot

They weren't as high as £1k new; the original 752 was £500, the Freedom came in around the £550 mark, maybe £599? The 753 was £800 new, so you may be thinking of that model.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I think they were £650 originally. I remember as i bought a pair of 752's(still have) thinking they were freedoms, my 1st step into hifi!!
cheers.gif

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
The gramophone article from 1997 pegs the black at £580 ish and rosewood at £650

Thanks Paul - after much searching I have found the original receipt to my amazement - I have the Rosewood version and you are indeed correct. I bought them for £648.00.

Do insurance companys take into account inflation when factoring in insurance pay outs ? I bought them on 05/02/00 - nearly 12 years ago. I have an old for new policy.

T

the record spot

Well done on finding the receipt, that makes a difference. Check your policy documents, they'll have it all in there, but probably best giving the insurer a ring.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, must say that I am pleasantly surprised with More Than as an insurance company - I have had no problems with my claim.

Their independant valuation team put them on par with the modern Mission BX5's which they tell me retail for £599.

I have an excess of £100 which is a shame, but I am still happy - they are sending a cheque for £499 in the post and I get to keep my old but 1 speaker broken Missions - anyone know where to get a replacement main driver ?

Can feel a rear surround speaker upgrade coming in January.

Result and it all happened on the day of the claim.

Happy Christmas.

TRENDING THREADS