Mission 751

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hello, i can buy the orginial Mission 751(mk1) speakers for 115 pounds at a hifi store, including delivery. Would you guys recommend buying these speakers or are the Q acoustics 2020 a better buy?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Give them an audition. Not everyone likes the sound. I bought some many moons ago when they were all I could afford, and that's all they had in the NT. They're fine, but maybe because of external factors I never really got on with them. You don't spend a lot of time during tropical nights listening to HiFi whan there's a spa, bbqs and chilled VB around. Also millions of mossies.

T

the record spot

The 751 any day of the week. It'll cane the 2020 and plenty of the rest of the current crop. For £115 you've landed a winner. Great bass bass, nice midrange and a lovely treble. Buy with confidence.

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
They are in a good condition, they have only some scratches. Thank you both for your answer!

EDIT: Thank you three for your answer. I will order them. Record spot, i'm also buying a Sensui amp right now for 50 pounds, cause of reading your posts:)

T

the record spot

Good choice, you won't regret it. Just make sure you avoid an overly bright source, otherwise you're done. Enjoy!

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I did not bought the Sansui, because i thought my NAD c320BEE would be even a better amp.

I have used them now for a couple of days, and if i am honest, i'm not amazed. They are no match for my Wharfedale 10.1s. The sound of the Mission is more musical and warm, but the 10.1 are smoother, more detailed and are just better in every aspect IMO. I have tried if the VDAC would make a big difference, but it didn't. The treble was more prominent then with the onboard dac of my pc, which made the sound more harsh.

But i'm going to keep them..a warm sound is nice for my study room:)

T

the record spot

This is the original 751 we're talking about here? Musical, yes, warm, no. I wouldn't have put them with the NAD I must admit (I think that's what's holding them back).

Have you tried it with the Marantz out of interest? Either way, I'm sorry you didn't have your expectations met, but I'm glad you've found a happy compromise. I do disagree that the 10.1s are the better speaker, but it's what you think that counts ultimately.

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It surprised me too, that they sound warm. I have tried them with the Marantz, and still the wharfedales were better. But now for the first time i used flac with foobar instead of spotify, and they sound different! There is more clarity and bass! So maybe with a better amp an a better source they will sound like what they supposed to be. Is there really a difference between spotify(320kbs) and flac with foobar, or is this just some psychological thing ha?

T

the record spot

Glad to hear you're starting to hear how good they are...might just be if they'd not been used for a while, the drive units needed to get moving a little. Shouldn't take them long to be at their best I'd have thought, so give them a bit of a run-in and see what you think then.

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I did a blind test between Spotify and Foobar with asio4all drivers, and the difference is huge. Maybe this is because i am using a onboard soundcard right now, ans the Asio drivers are better then the onboard ones. The sound is great especially with acoustic music. I really enjoy it. I think you are right now that they are better then the Wharfedales, the clarity is amazing. Maybe this is the end of my Hifi journey ha

T

the record spot

Thanks for the update Steven; glad to hear they've ticked all the right boxes in the end!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I almost bought a pair on a whim last weekend on Ebay. The seller was local to me and they looked in great nick too. Anyway, I let the urge pass and they went for £100, there only being one bid at the £100 starting price, collection only. Not sure if they were originals but from I've read above that didn't sound too bad a price. I'm sure if he'd offered a delivery option he would have got a few quid more.

T

the record spot

Good to hear they're doing the business! Great speakers. Total steal for the money these days.

MrT31

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I found this thread on google, and appreciate it's a while since used. I wondered if some of you may be kind enough to help with below.

I inherited a pair of Mahogany Mission 751 speakers around 10 years ago and used them initially with amp I also inherited before amp went kaput. So speakers have sat in storage for past 8 years +. I took them to Richer sounds today for soundtest partly with aim of seeing if still functional. If totally blown away with sound I had planned to invest in amp but if not to sell. It turned out to be the latter.......I found the sound v stunted and closed, not v full, overly bright treble and lacking bass. I notice some on this forum lauding sound and wonder therefore if speakers may be faulty. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar problems as 751's aged and if this means they are no longer usable. I don't want to sell if they are faulty.

Thanks.

MrT31 said:
Hi. I found this thread on google, and appreciate it's a while since used. I wondered if some of you may be kind enough to help with below.

I inherited a pair of Mahogany Mission 751 speakers around 10 years ago and used them initially with amp I also inherited before amp went kaput. So speakers have sat in storage for past 8 years +. I took them to Richer sounds today for soundtest partly with aim of seeing if still functional. If totally blown away with sound I had planned to invest in amp but if not to sell. It turned out to be the latter.......I found the sound v stunted and closed, not v full, overly bright treble and lacking bass. I notice some on this forum lauding sound and wonder therefore if speakers may be faulty. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar problems as 751's aged and if this means they are no longer usable. I don't want to sell if they are faulty.

Thanks.
It's almost impossible to tell without hearing them, but the conditions in which they've been stored will have had an effect. Damp is the worst, such as an outdoor garage or shed.

Gravity can mean bass cones eventually sag, and some suggest undoing the drive units and rotating them 180 degrees, and re tightening. Worth checking tightness generally. In any case, I'd want to play them for a few hours, or even days, in a warm, dry room before deciding.

No experience of owning your model, but I have a pair of 760is from about '93 that still work ok.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Great speakers.

I bought a rosewood pair in I think 1993 and used them until 2 years ago. Never missed a beat. The replacement Tannoy Revolutions are more detailed but it has taken some getting used to and I'm still not 100% sure they're better - just different and I needed a change after 20 odd years....

I couldn't bring myself to sell them though as they are in great nick, so I've just bubble wrapped them up for a rainy day or my children's first hifi.

They need good stands though....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nice looking speakers but the heavy polyprop cone is not the last word in transparency or speed and there are now better tweeters.

Perhaps preferable if modern speakers sound too explicit.

Despite a 75w maximum rating they are probably better with high current amplifiers.

MrT31

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks nopiano. They've been stored inside house and so damp shouldn't be issue. Since doing bit more reading it seems brightness may be due to metal dome tweeters, and have read elsewhere that often used as monitors which may be why sound is detailed without being full. This is me hoping not faulty! Def think running in good idea as not used for years.

Another forum talked about dried up ferro-fluid also which suppose could be another issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts