Missing my CD player

MattL2009

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
A year or so ago I got a Naim Unitiqute system whichI am happlily running with some Neat Iota speakers. Whilst I am relatively happy with the sound, I am sort of missing the physical CD player - call me old fashioned by choosing music from a menu doesn't have quite the same appeal. If I got a CD player, presumably I could run it through the Unitiqute. Would it give be better/the same/worse sound that the ripped FLAC files I tend to listen to. Also, if I went down this route, what might be good CD players to audition? Would a budget of £500 get me something decent? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes it's all well and good with these streamers but personally I still like the physical side and I will be keeping my Apollo for a long time yet!

Shame the unitilite wasn't out when you got the qute!

you can add a CDP but wether its worth buying a £500 is up to you and you will be able to connect it by line level or digital in which would mean the CDP is just the transport!

I would selll the unitiqute it will hold its value very well then get a unitilite if funds allow

I agree with the suggestion of swapping out the UnitiQute for a Unitilite. Heard several of the latter at the Bristol Show yesterday and they really are as good as Andrew Everard and others have reported. I'd happily live with one.

If you want to stick with Naim then there are used CD5 models of various incarnations regularly on eBay within budget. Otherwise there are any number of recommended CPDs at under £500, though hard to say what would suit Naim 'flavour' best! You have analogue phono in sockets on the Qute, or you might choose a digital input.

MattL2009

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I like the Naim sound, so I can see the logic in swapping the Unitiqute for a UnitiLite, otherwise I suppose I could think of getting a second hand Naim CD off ebay. I might test the water with the Qute and see what I can get for that unless there are any other suggestions.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I see from tech specs that the unitiqute has optical in. You don't need to spend to spend anywhere near £500. Something like a Marantz CD6004 would connect via optical, but tbh you don't need to spend as much as that even.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts