Miracle material

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Might this material revolutionise the hi-fi industry too? With the properties described, I can imagine it being used in speaker drivers, tweeters, cabinets, electronic components, power supplies, cables, etc

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/10/world/asia/graphene-samsung-breakthrough/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
It looks fascinating and certainly holds some tantalising possibilities, although by the time it comes to the hifi industry I'll probably be too old to care! Shame.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
My intitial thought was that it was an April Fool's article (and I'm still not sure that it isn't). The article sure reads like it was dreamt up by somebody with an active imagination... 20 times stronger than diamond, 200 times stronger than steel but yet 6 times lighter, flexible, transparent and conductive at same time (how is that even possible?), it's the future of condoms, will charge a phone in seconds, etc, etc :O :?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Yes, Cheeseboy, science is great and I haven't ignored that it has a part to play when arguing about cables. But at the same time the human body is also awe inspiring, and this graphene material also demonstates that there's still much more discoveries to be made and that humans probably haven't even scratched the surface of what is scientifcally possible. That's why I can never accept that we already know everything there is to know about every subject matter, electricity and electronics included.

Imagine if they could mass produce this material... Almost everything would be made out of it including airplanes, windows, buildings, bridges, electronic equipment., safety equipment... the list is endless.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
Yes, Cheeseboy, science is great and I haven't ignored that it has a part to play when arguing about cables. But at the same time the human body is also awe inspiring, and this graphene material also demonstates that there's still much more discoveries to be made and that humans probably haven't even scratched the surface of what is scientifcally possible. That's why I can never accept that we already know everything there is to know about every subject matter, electricity and electronics included.

Imagine if they could mass produce this material... Almost everything would be made out of it including airplanes, windows, buildings, bridges, electronic equipment., safety equipment... the list is endless.

I know, I'm just pulling your leg :)

Either way, have a read about them carbon nanotubes as well. Similar thing with a lot of possibilities :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
My intitial thought was that it was an April Fool's article (and I'm still not sure that it isn't). The article sure reads like it was dreamt up by somebody with an active imagination... 20 times stronger than diamond, 200 times stronger than steel but yet 6 times lighter, flexible, transparent and conductive at same time (how is that even possible?), it's the future of condoms, will charge a phone in seconds, etc, etc :O :?

I remember Professsor Andre Geim of Manchester University (joint Nobel prize winner for his work on Graphene) in the BBC series 'Beautiful Minds' on BBC a couple of years ago.

I can't get the whole programme on YouTube sadly, but in it he demonstrated how to make single atomic thickness layers of the stuff with just graphite and Scotch tape. (The technique is shown here in a video from the same laboratory.)

He even levitated cheese and frogs.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
For me this is the most exciting possible use for Graphine that I have seen so far.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/green-tech/fuel-cells/graphene-origami-boxes-exceed-hydrogen-storage-targets

and

http://jss.ecsdl.org/content/2/10/M3160.full

This thread might explain my interest :)

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/off-topic-and-miscellaneous/alternative-sources-of-green-energy-why-are-we-not-using-hydrogen

I believe solar hydrogen and other renewable hydrogen production types will eventually repace all fossil fuels to produce energy , it is totally clean and will last as an energy source until the planet runs out of water or the sun explodes :) .

TRENDING THREADS