Minimum outley for maximum pleasure . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The more I read, the more I get dismayed . . . ; 'upgrade the speaker, must have a new amp, I think? Nah, you need a set of ABC cable and the latest Lemon-squeezer . . . and still they are not satisfied.

I started with the speakers and stands I had back in the 90's, I bought a P5 TT, a croft amp, an Apollo CDP and some cheap Linn speaker cable, oh yes, the interconnect is the same as I was using in the 80's! That started around this time last year, since then, the basics have not changed, tweaks, modification and these days the minutes of adjustments. Cost after the initial outlay, £400-£500 . . .

The sound quality has steadily improved from good to the present day, cant get enough . . . Horlicks time when me and Hazel keep on listening, last night it was 3 o'clock in the morning before we got to bed!

Analogue has that something that costs nothing apart from a little time and thought and 'adjustment' . . . I have in the past 48 hours, gone through the speaker set up, it was off by only a few Cm's . . . it cost nothing, apart from an aching back. The reward, I learned a lot about speaker placement in 'my room', a superb sound stage and a bass line that is so musical and I thought I had it right a week ago :? Asymmetrical placement in a real time, asymmetric living environment . . . wow!!!

Here we go, Horlicks just arived, late tonight, we have been watching 'Die Hard' super film . . . CJSF

CJSF said:
The more I read, the more I get dismayed . . . ; 'upgrade the speaker, must have a new amp, I think? Nah, you need a set of ABC cable and the latest Lemon-squeezer . . . and still they are not satisfied. I started with the speakers and stands I had back in the 90's, I bought a P5 TT, a croft amp, an Apollo CDP and some cheap Linn speaker cable, oh yes, the interconnect is the same as I was using in the 80's! That started around this time last year, since then, the basics have not changed, tweaks, modification and these days the minutes of adjustments. Cost after the initial outlay, £400-£500 . . . The sound quality has steadily improved from good to the present day, cant get enough . . . Horlicks time when me and Hazel keep on listening, last night it was 3 o'clock in the morning before we got to bed! Analogue has that something that costs nothing apart from a little time and thought and 'adjustment' . . . I have in the past 48 hours, gone through the speaker set up, it was off by only a few Cm's . . . it cost nothing, apart from an aching back. The reward, I learned a lot about speaker placement in 'my room', a superb sound stage and a bass line that is so musical and I thought I had it right a week ago :? Asymmetrical placement in a real time, asymmetric living environment . . . wow!!! Here we go, Horlicks just arived, late tonight, we have been watching 'Die Hard' super film . . . CJSF

I quite agree...about upgrading that is not 'Die Hard'!
Forum reading gives you upgradeitus.........it's official!!
You should be careful humping those speakers around you know.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
CJSF said:
The more I read, the more I get dismayed . . . ; 'upgrade the speaker, must have a new amp, I think? Nah, you need a set of ABC cable and the latest Lemon-squeezer . . . and still they are not satisfied. I started with the speakers and stands I had back in the 90's, I bought a P5 TT, a croft amp, an Apollo CDP and some cheap Linn speaker cable, oh yes, the interconnect is the same as I was using in the 80's! That started around this time last year, since then, the basics have not changed, tweaks, modification and these days the minutes of adjustments. Cost after the initial outlay, £400-£500 . . . The sound quality has steadily improved from good to the present day, cant get enough . . . Horlicks time when me and Hazel keep on listening, last night it was 3 o'clock in the morning before we got to bed! Analogue has that something that costs nothing apart from a little time and thought and 'adjustment' . . . I have in the past 48 hours, gone through the speaker set up, it was off by only a few Cm's . . . it cost nothing, apart from an aching back. The reward, I learned a lot about speaker placement in 'my room', a superb sound stage and a bass line that is so musical and I thought I had it right a week ago :? Asymmetrical placement in a real time, asymmetric living environment . . . wow!!! Here we go, Horlicks just arived, late tonight, we have been watching 'Die Hard' super film . . . CJSF

I quite agree...about upgrading that is not 'Die Hard'! Forum reading gives you upgradeitus.........it's official!! You should be careful humping those speakers around you know.

I'll let you off 'alears' for not liking Die Hard . . . you probable dont like 'Top Gun'? (has a great home cinema sound track!) and we watched 'Wyatt Earp' into the early hours the other night, afraid we are of a generation :rofl:

I agree with the upgradietus and so often its is nothing more than a sideways move to 'different not better'.

It is a real pleasure to me to be able to 'adjust' if the whim takes me, at no or minimal cost, to improve or reweight the performance and sound I perceive . . . sometimes it dont work, no problem, go back to the original settings having learned in the process . . . simples!

Digital is great, but its a 'convenience thing', with no easy, economic 'adjustment' . . . press a button and hand over the plastic:?

The speaker/stand combination weigh in at something like 40lbs+ each!!! The silk dome tweeters are exposed and vulnerable, so one moves them with great care in a confined area, my desk is in the way and the record shelves! As I said, 'real living' . . . 8)

Life would be so much easier with a laptop on my knee :wall: :?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
CJSF said:
I'll let you off 'alears' for not liking Die Hard . . . you probable dont like 'Top Gun'? (has a great home cinema sound track!) and we watched 'Wyatt Earp' into the early hours the other night, afraid we are of a generation :rofl:

CJSF

I know this is the TT section . . . but we have just watched the DVD of 'Top Gun' via the computer streaming through the HRT DAC to my normal hifi, choose the 2 speaker computer setting and theatre mode . . . Who needs surround sound . . . !!!

Apologies for this on the TT forum . . .

We will now have our Horlicks and a few vinyl tracks just to keep the balance . . . got Paul Simon lined up, currently listening to William Jacksons 'Inchcolm' on the Linn Label :)

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts