Meze 99 Classics - Review

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
It's been a while since I posted here because it's been a while since I wrote a review. I have started moving my reviews from my blog to my website (see link below), but here are my general thoughts:

I like almost everything about these headphones. Looks will always be subjective, but the design works for me more each time I see it. The build quality is superb, the case is nice and the available spare parts are great. Weight and comfort are also very good aspects of this design (for me) and I don't imagine most people having any issues there either. All these elements are icing on the cake, because the sound is where this model really shines. This is a very well thought out, all-round package, but the sound quality alone easily justifies the price to me.

Although I would have personally preferred a little less emphasis in the low frequencies this is bit of a nitpick. I see this presentation working well for most people and in most situations/environments. Even for me this issue is largely fixed when driven from some decent neutral amplification. Several well known manufacturers have successful models that embrace the v-shaped presentation but most feel overzealous compared to this and I think Meze deserves a lot of respect for getting the balance between reference and "Fun" so right, especially so early on in their history. I find this response to work very well across a wide variety ofgenres, from classical to EDM to Jazz.

04d854_003669b4fe274e0482082e8fabdc506c~mv2_d_2000_1333_s_2.webp

For more info see my full review here: https://www.edwardnoble.com/meze-99c

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been following this Meze for quite awhile, and it does sound (from reviews) like an improved Sennheiser Momentum.

I could never use the v-moda M100 without serious EQ. The bass is massive and there's a narrow deep recess around 5 khz, which carried through to their Wireless and Wireless2 models, although the bass is less emphasized on the Wireless2.

I had the Momentum before I had a good equalizer, and my objection to it was mainly recessed treble - in the 'presence' area and the top end.

The B&O H6 is pretty good - no major complaints, but the B&W P7 (I had the original and series-2) I liked a lot less. The P7 didn't have any major aberrations in my tests, but it just never sounded good, in ways similar to the Shure 1540 and Beyer DT1770 that I also had.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Dale! I hope you're well, It's been a while.

We still share a lot of thoughts about headphones I see :). I didn't have long with the P7, not long enough to review them. If I had them for longer it's quite likely I would formed a similar opinion, but it seems they've been discontinued now. I'm curious to know what you would think of the Meze. My wife loves them, so it looks like I'm not getting them back.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Hey Dale! I hope you're well, It's been a while.

We still share a lot of thoughts about headphones I see :). I didn't have long with the P7, not long enough to review them. If I had them for longer it's quite likely I would formed a similar opinion, but it seems they've been discontinued now. I'm curious to know what you would think of the Meze. My wife loves them, so it looks like I'm not getting them back.

I'm considering buying the new-ish Focal Listen Pro next week. It should be fairly similar to the Meze or Momentum. I liked the Focal Spirit Pro, but not the Panzer-tank build. The Focal Elear was extremely interesting for its elimination of reflections, but had a strong recess in the lower-mid treble.

What's really interesting about these headphones is that they're so different from each other, they leave strong memories years after I gave them away.

TRENDING THREADS