Metallica - Black album

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'm after this album and i've seen two versions that i'm interested in and I wonder if any of you own them, or have heard them.

The first is the 2 x LP remaster from 2001

The second is 2 x LP from 2008 (doesn't say if it's a remaster).

Oh, and then there's the 4 LP box set, that is £65, but I aint goin there
smiley-smile.gif

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Sorry bretty, bought the 4lp box set for my son when it came out but as far as I know it`s never been opened. Think he`s keeping it as a collectors item and just playing the cd. Funny you should mention this though as I have quite often thought about getting this album on vinyl. So there`s a 2 disc version from 2001 as well as the more recent remaster and then of course the original. Mmmn, wonder which is the best?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I don't own it, Bretty, but I saw the original vinyl going for £8 at a record fair in Leeds a fortnight ago.

They're not really my thing but in the interest of trying out things I'm not sure about I wish I'd bought it. A good friend of mine lamented the fact I didn't buy it because he's a Metallica obsessive and has never heard any of it on vinyl.

I know none of that pertains to your question, but there you go!

Happy hunting anyway.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
People tend to favour the original mix, Black album is one of those that I will invest on and hopefully I will find the original released in excellent + condition.

If you think 4 LP, black album is expensive! I want, 180g Reload box set, and the price is eye-watering high.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
survivor said:
bretty said:
Jason36 said:

I like it, but I don't 50 quid like it
smiley-smile.gif

This is purely gut instinct but I reckon the 2008 remaster will be superior to the 2001.

You could be right there. If the 2001 remaster was good then why re-remaster just seven years later?

Absolutely. Also, and I may be way off here, but wasn't the vinyl market still pretty much on it's ar*se in 2001? If so, maybe there would have been a little less effort put into making a good remaster and pressing. In 2008, the increased interest in vinyl had begun, so possibly a better product was released as a result? Only a hypothesis, but it makes sense in my contorted little noggin
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts