Metallica Black Album

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
This has been discussed quite a lot on the Steve Hoffman forum.Try this forum and search Metallica Black Album.The two vinyl 45 version is supposed to be the best sound wise.

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Daz,

having had a flick on that forum, excuse my ignorance (I am new to vinyl) but have I read it right that there is a 45rpm album version? I though all albums were 33 and singles 45? Apologies if it's a daft question

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Normally a 45rpm LP are released on more than one vinyl. Foo Fighters wasted Light copy I own is on Two Lps and is 45rpm. Not sure if it makes it sound better.

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
thescarletpronster said:
To be pedantic, there are definitely 45rpm albums (which simply means a collection of songs) but not 45rpm LPs.

? Explain please. What exactly is an LP then?

Thanks in anticipation.

Err.... long playing, maybe *biggrin*

DougK said:
Al ears said:
thescarletpronster said:
To be pedantic, there are definitely 45rpm albums (which simply means a collection of songs) but not 45rpm LPs.

Thanks in anticipation.

Err.... long playing, maybe *biggrin*

:)

I was questioning thescarletpronsters definition as to why you can't have a 45rpm LP and what he considers to be the difference between an album and an LP.

Just curious like. ;-)

D

Deleted member 108165

I understood where you were coming from Al, I was just be cheeky *smile*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:

Thanks in anticipation.

'LP' ('long playing microgroove') is a standard physical format introduced by Columbia in 1948, defined by the playing speed (33 1/3) and size of groove. I'm not sure of the exact groove size, but there are web pages out there with all the technicalities.

'Album' is more of a marketing term, and doesn't have any real significance. It means a collection of separate tracks in one package (think of a photo album, a collection of photos in a book). The original albums were collections of 78s into one actual book-like package: see e.g. The Voice of Frank Sinatra, and its reissue as the first LP.

Albums cut at 45 rpm might be called 'LPs', but according to the standard, they're not.

Nathan

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Impressive knowledge. Might be time to step away from the hifi though and meet some girls now
wink_smile.gif

thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:

Thanks in anticipation.

'LP' ('long playing microgroove') is a standard physical format introduced by Columbia in 1948, defined by the playing speed (33 1/3) and size of groove. I'm not sure of the exact groove size, but there are web pages out there with all the technicalities.

'Album' is more of a marketing term, and doesn't have any real significance. It means a collection of separate tracks in one package (think of a photo album, a collection of photos in a book). The original albums were collections of 78s into one actual book-like package: see e.g. The Voice of Frank Sinatra, and its reissue as the first LP.

Albums cut at 45 rpm might be called 'LPs', but according to the standard, they're not.

It all comes down to who's definition you use. Most, and my, thoughts are anything that stores more music (timewise) than you can get on a 45rpm 'single' or indeed an EP, is considered to be an LP. This can be recorded at any speed and is not restricted to 33.3 although this was the speed originally decided on by Columbia.

I own quite a few 45 rpm LP's. ;-)

I agree with your definition of album though. But whatever, it's all music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts