Message from Olive Media: UK introduction of Olive 4HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At Olive Media we are delighted and proud of the wonderful reviews of our Olive 4HD Hi-Fi Music Server, and we very much appreciate all the positive attention we are getting. We would like to apologise for the unfortunate delay in making our fine products available in UK. Olive product were planned to enter selected stores end of November. However we experienced an unforeseen and most regrettable setback in our UK distribution setup, which was caused by circumstances completely beyond our control. Rest assured we are working hard on establishing a new distribution setup in UK, so that our products as soon as possible can be found and experienced through a network of qualified retailers. We expect to make an announcement on www.olivehifi.com within a few weeks. Thanks for your attention and patience. Kind regards Claus P. Rasmussen, SVP, Olive Media Inc.

A

Anonymous

Setting up quality distribution these days is a bit trickier than it used to be. When someone else is unlucky and trips on their shoelaces and make you fall down the stairs also it gets even more frustrating

A

Anonymous

It was probably about a year ago now that I was looking to purchase a multi room music system and I was quite interested in the Olive from what I saw on the internet. It looked like a really well designed product (it still does).

At the time there were about half a dozen distributors in Europe but nothing in the UK, I e-mailed Olive and got a response along the lines of 'a distributor is currently being arranged'.

Having never tried to manufacture and distribute a high tech consumer product internationally I could be accused of not understanding the problem here but it looks a bit like this kit might never go on sale.

A

Anonymous

I'm confident that won't happen, and that Olive products will be on sale here soon. I've met both Claus and Oliver from Olive and been impressed with both what they had to say, and with the thoroughness of the execution of their product. I'm also aware of the circumstances surrounding the breakdown in their initial distribution plans, and it genuinely does seem to have been due to matters beyond their control. Hopefully things will be resolved very soon.

A

Anonymous

Hi there, I am grateful for Andy jumping in here with a factually correct and sympathetic comment. Allow me to add a few words. We sincerely appreciate the patience of the many consumers and retailers who show our products great interest. I fully understand it can be puzzling why Olive has not immediately made the products available, when there is such a positive interest in experiencing (and hopefully purchasing) them. The reason for this is that we - as any manufacturer of premium products - have to make sure that the products can be experienced in quality distribution, that can provide satisfactory service to the consumer.

In December we experienced a sudden and unexpected collapse in the commitment from our UK business partner, which was purely related to internal matters which had nothing to do with us or our products. As a consequence the products which had been ready to ship since November never entered the UK market. We have felt it would be irresponsible to ship to UK consumers directly from our office and factory in San Francisco as we would simply not be able to provide the necessary customer service (both before and after purchase).

The regional and international distribution landscape today is pretty complex and finding the right distribution partner usually takes some time. As a young company setting up our own operation here has not really been an option we wanted to explore. We are now - finally - close to announce a new distribution setup, so that the Olive 4HD can finally find its way into good retailers here in the UK. Biased as we are we believe the Olive 4HD is a great product of terrific value in an exciting new product category. But as always it is important to make up your own mind and experience the product as soon as we give you the chance to do so :)

Stay tuned for news in February - many thanks

SAPCOR1

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Hopefully the UK distribution for Olive will be sorted as promised by Olive this month.

Any idea of the UK pricing yet? Hopefully it will not be yet another case of $ price = £ price such as the new Denon BD receiver which is nearly 80% more expensive in the UK

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I must say I was pretty disappointed with the representation of the Olive product at the Bristol Show. It was only available to view on one of the small stands, not in a room, so it couldn't be heard properly. There was little specific information about it's availability, and I was told that the proposed retail price was expected to be £2600! All in all, I think it would have been better to not have had it at the Show at all, and waited until the distributor agreements and pricing confirmed. It didn't give me a lot of confidence about the availability and support for the product.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
but surely you got to see it touch it even if you didn't get to hear it at its best - what were your impressions of that?

Andrew sent me a link earlier for https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/482 which includes prices £2199.00 with free delivery

A

Anonymous

I'd like to identify myself as James Roth, representing Fatman and Roth AV at the Bristol Show. As we told many of the people who came to see Fatman and Roth products and the Olive product last week, we were showing the Olive 4HD on our stand because all of our team absolutely love it. A show environment is not the appropriate place to undertake serious critical listening of any audio device and in my opinion, this also applies to anyone showing products in one of the hotel rooms, unless a substantial amount of money has been spent treating the room for acoustic issues.

For anyone that asked about the detail of what the product was doing on our (large - one of the largest and constantly busy with positive, supportive and knowledgeable visitors) stands at the show, we told them and in all cases, we had really great feedback for providing accurate, helpful and timely information. I want to emphasize that it was my decision to provide some space for Olive because we believe that this is one of the best products of its type we have ever seen - we all hope to buy one when they become available.

I'm pretty disappointed that you don't have a lot of confidence about "availability and support for the product", as your opinion has been formed as a direct consequence of our activity and is nothing to do with Olive.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed that there's talk of a price of £2600!

As Amazon.com are offering it in the States for $1799 (i.e. £1200) that seems more than a bit "out of order" Not likely to feature on my shopping list for that reason now.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
visionary:

As Amazon.com are offering it in the States for $1799 (i.e. £1200) that seems more than a bit "out of order" Not likely to feature on my shopping list for that reason now.

thats not even the same machine! its an olive 4 not the new 4hd from what i can understand

also as above link to a website offereing for £2200

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Fatman Roth:

I'd like to identify myself as James Roth, representing Fatman and Roth AV at the Bristol Show. As we told many of the people who came to see Fatman and Roth products and the Olive product last week, we were showing the Olive 4HD on our stand because all of our team absolutely love it. A show environment is not the appropriate place to undertake serious critical listening of any audio device and in my opinion, this also applies to anyone showing products in one of the hotel rooms, unless a substantial amount of money has been spent treating the room for acoustic issues.

For anyone that asked about the detail of what the product was doing on our (large - one of the largest and constantly busy with positive, supportive and knowledgeable visitors) stands at the show, we told them and in all cases, we had really great feedback for providing accurate, helpful and timely information. I want to emphasize that it was my decision to provide some space for Olive because we believe that this is one of the best products of its type we have ever seen - we all hope to buy one when they become available.

I'm pretty disappointed that you don't have a lot of confidence about "availability and support for the product", as your opinion has been formed as a direct consequence of our activity and is nothing to do with Olive.

james always good to have manufactures join - think i have emailed you a few times in the past with questions or at least your company with good response - any plans for you to help olive on the distribution front and the dealers you use - as not sure like the idea of buying a £2000 product blind from one importer - would be good to be able to demo the unit?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:visionary:

thats not even the same machine! its an olive 4 not the new 4hd from what i can understand

also as above link to a website offereing for £2200

As you say. My apologies, I searched for a 4HD and didn't spot that they'd only offered me the olive 4. I will read closer next time
emotion-10.gif
. Maybe that's why the feedback on them is less than enticing?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
that confused me to as the 4hd as far as i know is a new product and some of those reviews seem fairly old - sure someone will come along and shed some light on this - I actually really want one as seems to tick the boxes for what i want and need - would just like some hands on time with one

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
This product category doesn't make good sense to me.

1. Internet streaming, computer streaming, and the iPOD are all better choices and I think are more future proof.

2. Why do these products mostly have tiny little screens???? Either a big 12" wide touch screen or an iPOD touch controlled interface is appropriate.

To me this product category is obviously an interim solution with no staying power.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
why? - i have a 160gb ipod and both a wadia and onkyo digital dock - the ipod is to small to hold a good size cd collection - don't want to have a computer turned on all day to stream from that and find the use of a nas drive and then other controlling device a bit of a pain. this offers everything in one neat little box no bigger than a cdp

this unit can be connected by hdmi to a tv set so you can make the screen as large as you want, also many ppl have ipod touch or phones now anyway so nice optional interface - this unit has a hand disk and no fans so hopefully is virtually silent, 2tb of storage thats going to take some serious filling, means can move my whole cd collection out of my lounge and put in my office and i believe there is computer software also to allow a computer and system to synch not sure of all details yet so should be more future proof than a CDP which i am in the £2k category now!

also if you add price of computer, wireless streamer, hard disk, dac ect price wise bet not a lot in it

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I wish I coudl be that categoric as any of the above 2 posts. I have been looking at both computer based and olive-type based solution and have leaned towards computer as it is more versatile.

However, olive-like producs (unity, solos, solo neo etc) are very interesting. I seriously considered olive and thought of several configurations based on computers and olive and the olive one was considerably more expensive.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
but its also like comparing apples with oranges - they are not the same idea or product and could spend hours listing the benefits of both

to me reducing clutter and number of boxs is my main motivator - other wise I would just plonk my computer next to my stereo and plug directly into my dac - completly free solution but would ruin my streamlined look!

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks James, I appreciate your response. The Olive is clearly a great product and appeals to many of us who wish to have an elegant and audiophile quality digital storage solution. Because we saw such a positive review in What HiFi and are eager to get our hands on one, I think the important points for all of us at the moment are:

[*]Who will be the UK distributor for the Olive product?
[*]When will the 4HD unit be available on demo and for us to purchase?
[*]What will the retail price be for the 4HD here in the UK?
[*]Can we be confident that the product will be supported?

Thanks again, cheers

Dave

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
well i emailed ripcaster https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/482 on either monday or tuesday can't remember which just to ask when they expected the first machines in the uk and whether they had a waiting list - have had no response to my email - not great so far makes you wonder what the CS would be like if something goes wrong!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts